I am considering getting pregnant and trying to taper of my GAD and PD medications before doing so because most of them fall in FDA pregnancy category C (This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby.) and are also considered unsafe to breastfeed an infant on.

I am currently taking 37.5 mg of Effexor, 60mg of Propanolol SA, and .25 to .5 mg of Clonazepam.

I am currently in the long process of tapering off Effexor and have used (and recommend) the following tapering doses with no adverse side effects until the last two weeks.

300mg 1x daily for two years ->
150mg 1x daily for two years ->
75mg 1x daily for one week ->
37.5mg 1x daily for the last two weeks

I think I will be fine PD-wise once I am completely off the Effexor, but I anticipate the return of panic attacks once I try to discontinue the Propanolol SA. (The 60mg dose has done a wonderful job of preventing full blown attacks, reducing my attacks to mere parathesias, chills, and an irritable bowel.)

Do you know of women, or has it been shown in recent research, that women can successfully continue their treatment with Propanolol at the 60mg dose without causing harm to the fetus or infant?

Can you suggest/recommend a safer beta-blocker to women in this situation?

Any other suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.