I am currently withdrawaling off effexor on my own and I also am experiencing the dizziness, chills, that everyone is describing. I really want to know if anyone has lost the weight that they have gained on this stuff?? I have gained 30 lbs and yet everytime I tried to tell the doctor
I thought it was making me gain weight he just said no it wouldn't affect
my weight. Now I'm depressed because I'm so large. Anyone have any suggestions??

Kelley,

I too have been on Effexor and my doctors have been telling me that it does not cause weight gain. It does however cause appetite increase, but not actually do anything to your metabolism, which I think is a bunch of bull. I may be a little bit more hungry, but not enough to gain 22 pounds in a year. I have had three kids and always stayed at a steady 118 pounds and since being on the Effexor, I cannot budge from the 140 mark. I am desperate too. If you find out anything, please pass it on. You are not alone.

2 yrs ago I was prescribed Effexor XR for clinically mild but lingering depression. I did feel better during the 1st year and really felt that my quality of life was improving (in spite of a 20 lb weight gain!).

However, in the past 6 months I began to experience something totally new for me, extreme mood swings. The doctor increased my dosage to 150mg. After 3mos on the new dosage things only went from bad to worse; the mood swings continued and for the 1st time in my life I began to have thoughts of suicide that quite frankly I couldn't attribute to any specific changes in my life circumstances. I had read about Effexor and suicide in teens, but I'm in my early 40's, so I didn't think that was my situation. My Dr didn't seem to think so either, he upped my dosage and said we would review other alternatives at my next appt if this didn't help. That was 2 wks ago. Its also when I decided to get myself off. Cold Turkey.

The last week & half has been rough, but not totally unbearable. So far the worst for me has been the electric/static sensations that others have reported, it isn't painful but a very unfamiliar and unpleasant feeling. For me, the symptoms seem to be worse in the evening, especially the hot flashes and sweating. I'm also having very, very weird dreams on a nightly basis. On the upside, I haven't experienced any nausea, dizziness or ringing in my ears. I actually feel stable and good emotionally, which was my biggest fear in stopping my med. I also find that while my appetite has actually increased, my scale is showing a loss of 3 lbs in a week. I never understood why I gained weight after starting Effexor because the Dr said it wasn't related. If anything, it made me lose my appetite and I was getting along w/1 meal a day most of the time. After doing some reading I can only think that this has to do with a change in my metabolism, but I'm still researching to see if there is any connection.

I realize that I'm not doing this the way Drs recommend, and I definitely don't want to encourage anyone to try this because everyone's organism, reactions and circumstances are unique and different. I don't even know if I'll be able to get through this in the end, but I hope that I will.

I just wanted to share the symptoms I'm experiencing so far, and wish everyone else who is trying to wean off Effexor luck & success.

Hi all. I have been on Effexor XR for about 3 years now, 75 mg and recently started to gain more and more weight, about 25 lbs now. I look awful. I finally decided to get off of this, too. I called my doctor and had him prescribe the 37.5 mg tablets. I have been on them for about a week now and today cut the tablet in half. I have had nausea like crazy and a stomachache type feeling. Also, dizzy, bad nightmares, so real feeling. A little foggy.

How long does it take to start losing some weight? I look in the mirror and it doesn't even look like me. I can't wait to get back to normal.

I do know that exercise helps as I have been a lifetime exerciser, however I feel so fat right now, that I don't want to go out. I have no clothes that fit me. I have bought 2 to 3 sizes bigger and they are now too small. It's awful. The only thing worse than being broke and depressed is being overweight. What a mess I'm in.

Please write anyone who has had luck losing weight post Effexor. Any advice on boosting metabolism. I'm just glad the spring is coming so I can get out and walk or maybe even run again.

Help!! Kate

I have been on Effexor for over two years now. When starting, I went from a size 3 to a size 13 and continuting getting fatter regardless of how little I eat and how much excersize I get!

Four days ago I went "cold turkey." I have lost all my appetite since then and have to force myself to even eat at all. I can only consume small amounts of food around 400-600 calories a day. I can't eat more than this without feeling sick to my stomach. Besides I feel full the entire day from eating tiny portions throughout the day.

Withdrawal symptoms have been generally the same, toxic feeling with electric static shivers through my body. Also, REALLY weird dreams!

Found very interesting site that helps explain why people gain weight on Effexor and other antidepressant drugs and how to avoid withdrawal symptoms called theroadback.org. Also, I found interesting is a simple list of nutrients to change the body's DNA that meds have f**!ed up and how to start loosing weight NOW!

Let me make clear to all, I do not promote this company nor any of their products since I have most of what I need already just sitting around in my kitchen cabinets which I meant to take a long while ago, nor do I promote going cold turkey like myself.

I hope this helps. I am going to try using this method. To me it makes sense. Everyone's different and should use their own best judgement to do what they think is best for them--but what do I have to loose except weight. I will update back next month hopefully with some weight loss to help inspire you all. Hang in there!

Im so glad to read that im not alone, i have put on 4 stone in 3 years through been on effexor! I started off on 75 mg then over the last two years my dose was increased to 225mg, this coincided with the majorty of my weight gain. On the plus side i've saved £3,000 on a boob job! ! The weight gain just made me more depressed than ever so I decided that was it and I had to come off them, my weight was making me so unhappy, surely being thin and depressed is much better than been fat and depressed. So far i've reduced by 75mg without any side effects, although I no I have been lucky not to experience any side effects. Over the next few weeks my aim is to try and reduce by another 75mg. I'm just hoping now that my weight starts to move.
p.s to add insult to injury i've also been on prescription diet tablets thinking that these were going to be the answer to my prayers, guess what, they didnt work so coming off effexor is my only hope of getting my figure back. Has anyone lost the weight they gained when quitting effexor?

Hi effexor friends,
I am a nurse and have been on effexor for 7 mos. I have been off it a month now. I feel great. I think things might be exagerated a bit about withdrawls. It was not fun but well worth it!
Weight gain is inevitable while on any SSRI. Research it and you will find the answer. It changes the way your carbs are metabolized and stores them as fat. Fun isn't it?
I eat about 800 cals a day and just got bigger. My doctor said it wasn't from the SSRI but it is. No way to deny it. I am a health nut and exercise daily for 30 min. So I am here to say, if you are on an antidepressant- you will gain weight.
Blessings to all

After almost 7 years, I've finally weaned myself off of this hellacious drug! What really did it was that I was up to 225, and forgot that I already took it one day and took it again - I was a hair short of toxicity and almost literally lost my mind. Now that I'm OFF, I've put on 15 lbs. Consider talking w/an endocrinologist - the doctor that specializes in thyroid/metabolism/diabetes. There's a B12 SHOT that's out, along w/pres. diet pills that really works... my friends and co-workers are all losing weight and feeling better. I've actually contacted a personal injury attorney for a class action lawsuit against Wyeth Labs for this horrible "non-addicting" BS drug.

i was just prescribed effexor because my dr. says that prozac isnt working as well as this drug could. any thoughts?

I have been on Effexor for 13 years and have gained 80 pounds.
I stopped for about one year to try to get back to my normal body weight but found that I could not function without it. This medication is the only one I have found after trying most that effectively helps with my depression and anxiety. However, in helping to restore my mind it has ruined my life. I no longer see people I used to know due to my weight gain. When I started Effexor I weighed 121 pounds and had pretty much always maintained a healthy weight. Even with daily exercise I weigh now more than I ever did in my life and do not see a way out unless a better medication comes along.

i hear every one talking about effexor and the weight gain.. i have gained literally 30 pounds and im only 21 so this sucks!!!! has any one found that they lost weight when they come off this stuff?? plus has any one found they got really moody(uncontrolable crying ect) when they started coming off the pills i went from 78 mg to 150mg and found it was wayyy to much for my system, so i have been opening the caplet and splitting it in half and the doc says thats about 75 mg but found i was super moody for a bit on and off??!!! any one else??? HELPPPP

I am so happy to hear from everyone that I am NOT alone. I have been on Effexor for three years now, gained 80 pounds, become a type 2 diabetic and my life is a shambles! I two days ago "cold turkey" stopped the effexor and am experiencing static electricity shocks in my head (not painful, just irritating) and "the blues", anxiety, sweats, hot then cold, irritability etc. I feel like I will just explode at any minute. I think peoples experience with withdrawl will certainly differ due to dosages and time taking the pill. I hope this ends soon - I can't even look at myself anymore and have never!! been so big! I hate it! My doctor also said that Effexor could not make me gain weight but let me tell you, IT DID!! Some days I would not eat a thing....gained 2 pounds! The weight gain is horrible! Please feel free to email me _[removed]_m with any comments or questions or just to give some support............ :cry:

I too experienced the weight gain from the effexor. At first I lost some weight when I started the drug, but after about a year, I started gaining weight and fast. No matter what I did, I just kept gaining. Eventually I decided I needed to come off the drug due to the other awful side effects that occured. Vomiting, dizzyness, hotflashes etc. So I weaned off the drug from September 2006 till December 2006. Once I got down to 75 mg I had to drop my dosage by 6.25 mg per week to avoid being sick. I still felt the effects of the drugs till at least Febuary of 2007. At that point I started accupunture for some back pain that had flaired up but they also helped the remaining symptoms.

So in all I gained 30 pounds. And it wouldn't budge. If I wasn't depressed before, that weight gain was sure to make me depressed. In my research I found a program called The Road Back. It is a nutrition and supplement program to help with withdrawal symptoms. It helped me. I felt better, was able to concentrate, I slept better, I had more energy, and I started losing weight. 10 pounds in the first 8 weeks or so of the diet. A guy in my depression group also is using a similar nutrient program and is finding it helpful as well. It isn't easy to maintain the supplement schedual and it doesn't taste good. But personally I found it to be worthwhile.

Good luck with getting off the drug and getting your body and life back. It is a slow process but it will get better little by little. I would recomend not going cold turkey off the drugs. Our bodies have adjusted to having drugs added to our system and need time to readjust to producing the hormones itself. And concider a supplement program or accupunture to help with the symptoms. It costs money but it is worth it.

I too have recently noticed that I've been putting on weight and couldn't figure out why. I am on the Atkins diet which normally works really well for me, and I have a gym and cardio machine at home which I use almost daily. I have never had a hard time losing weight until now, I tried on a pair of capri pants that last year I drowned in and now they are so frickin tight I couldn't even button them. I have only been taking effexor for about three months! I got online and researched this, it was time to get a refill, and found out how many people have had the same problem as me! The weird thing is, I forgot to take my pill one day and felt really strange, I can't explain it, but I had these waves of extreme dizziness that would come and go. I feel like I should stop taking it now before my body gets even more dependent on it! And I too have had suicidal thoughts, I wouldn't actually do it since I have three children and a wonderful husband, but for some reason these thoughts are there. It's pretty scary how a medication can change your whole way of thinking! I just want to be back to the way I was last summer, I have no idea how much I weigh as I don't have a scale, but maybe I don't WANT to know! I am tired of all my clothes being too small.

Don't let your familly DR put you on this drug w/o getting a specialist (shrink) to give you a second opinion.

Its a serious med with serious consequences which may/may not be waranted. Your manipulating your brain chemistry here.