I’ve been taking xanax for 3 years now, and as my doctor said it’s time to cut the dosage. Anyway it worked for me very well, my panic attacks are under control, but I’m afraid that tapering off xanax will bring them back...

Well, first of all, let me tell you it’s not going to be easy to taper off xanax. The most important thing is to understand, that tapering off xanax is a long term process. Successful tapering off xanax requires the dosage to be reduced step by step. I suggest you to start by cutting the dosage in half for first two weeks, and than see how well you do. If you think you’re ready to cut it further, lower dosage some more. You may experience crankiness, lack of sleep. You must not cut off xanax fully in start, that can get you to hospital. Anyway, you must consult your doctor and listen to his advice. Maybe, if you experience difficulties, he will prescribe you some other medicine, like Ambien.

Tapering off Xanax is possible, but it is best done in a slow manner. There are two main ways to go about it. One is to switch over to an equivalent dose of Valium and then slowly taper off that drug - no more than a 10% cut every 2 weeks or so. This approach is advocated by Dr. Heather Ashton who ran a benzo withdrawal clinic in England for 12 years. Her work is detailed in what has become known as the Ashton Manual. You can download a free copy at http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm.

The other way is by Water Titration. It was developed for those who are unable to get their doctors to prescribe Valium or simply did not want to use Dr. Ashton’s crossover method. This method involves mixing one’s daily Xanax dose with a fixed amount of water. By gradually eliminating the amount of water, one can slowly reduce the daily amount of Xanax. Further information about Water Titration including PowerPoint demonstrations can be found at http://www.benzosupport.org/water_titration.htm

Discuss with your doctor which method would be best for you. Either way consider joining a support group while you are tapering. One such group is the Yahoo Benzo group at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/benzo. The moderators have several years of experience in helping others gain freedom from Xanax and other benzos.

How do you come off 4 yo 5 mg Xanak, Been on for 25 years? Started at 0.25 all the way to 4 to 5 a day. Also have SEVERE Hashimotos Dosease, My memory and coginintive skllls have dimished severly, Looking for help, Went for appt at Johnd Hopkins , The Dr is supposed to be consulting with my Endrocologist. Neurologist, and Pysh. The dr at Hopkins told me I am on a very high fose of Xanax and that seemed to be his main concern!

have been Xanax on for 25 years and I have no idea who I am any more? Combination with Thyorid disorder , severe stress,????

Hi every1 i was on xanax 1 mg 2 x day for almost a yr well ladt weekn2/12/13 i had an operation and didnt not take it i chalked it up to nerves but it was withdraw i just had no idea so i went to 1ng 1x day for 5 days per dr started 1/2 the following week thst week has been hell sat 2/23/13 i started a 1/4 7 days then done i tjink I've been through ths worse but tjus sucks big time and can not wait to get this ride!!! I did not snyse the medication but yes I can say it i am addicted i never want this drug again Good luck to all who are suffering i cant lay in bed allday im a stay at home mom of a 4&1 yr old so thry keep me busy I no this was a rapid taper but i can deal with it just the first week was omg!!!!!!!! My dr assures me no seasure that's whst i was scared a bout and i evdn quit smoking too

Hi everyone, I am currently tapering off Xanax. 7years at 1.5mg. It may seem like a low dose but due to being a long term, it has changed the way I think etc. of your a long term like myself. It is going to take alot of will power. Meaning it really doesn't start till you and only you have come to a point in your life that benzo has to go. Along the tapering of getting off benzo support from others will need to be meet, as when our will power will weaken at times do to tapering and we need people to keep us strong when we feel weak. And to continue to remind us this to shall pass. I told my dr I wanted to no longer take xanax, it was a shocker to her and she did get upset, but seems to come to terms that I don't want to continue to be on this. She did have me on a .25mg reduction every 2weeks. I had small wd sxs at 1.25mg but when it came to reduce again another .25mg at 1mg I felt a lot of wd. I saw her again and she asked me if I could cut the .25mg in half and start a new reduction at .125mg I did that, now I'm at .875mg wd are not pleasent as the lower I reduce the longer the wd last, from at first only 3 days now has increased to 9 days at .875mg. The lower my dose the longer wd sxs last till my brain adjust to the new lower dose, I'm feeling stable to cut again but will wait a few days till I am at the 2week to reduce again which I'm kinda nerves to go to .75mg but it is just the Xanax talking, the thing is, .25mg was way to fast for me, at and some point I feel .125mg is ok, but I feel that if I could just hold each dose for a couple of months instead of 2weeks it would play in my favor better, but then I think about it, I would just prolong the suffering of wd that come with each time I reduce my dose. So xanax play with my mind and my body as well But I know that this to shall pass. Once you are familiar with withdrawal sxs you will be better at coping with wd from Xanax, as when they hit, you will remind your self this unpleasant feelings are just part of the wd from Xanax