Is it possible that I have developed a reaction to effexor xl in form of hives? I have a rash all over my back, it itches like crazy!!!! I looked for the photos of hives, looks just like mine! How are hives treated? Do I need a doctor?

Yes, hives often appear as a reaction to a medication, and effexor is one of the medications that has hives as a side effect, so that must be it. If the hives are not severe, treatment is not necessary, but if there is swelling especially in the throat area then you may need a shot of epinephrine. However, you do need to talk to the doctor who prescribed effexor to you in order to check if you need to change treatment.

I took effexor for 3 years and had hives each time I got the least bit hot or was in the sun or tanning bed. I mentioned it to my doc. I even had alllergy tests run. They all said the hives were of 'undertermined etiology'. I was hospitalized for my depression, and meds were changed. No more effexor...no more hives. I don't think that was a coincidence! I'm happy to be rid of the hives AND the brain shivers.

Praise God someone else is mentioning hives!!! I took effexor for 2 years and did find sensitivity to the sun and my skin just got more sensitive in general..but a strange thing. I weaned off of it 2 weeks ago and am experiencing the effects most people talk about but NOW I have the hives! I never put the two together but I've never had allergies to any foods and this comes and goes......anyone experience this in withdrawal???
It's miserable!!!!!

I came down with hives in 12/05, they lasted until 9/06. I was on several allergy medications, went through numerous test, nothing. I recently sarted having them again and I finalized realized that they have to have something to do with me getting off of Effexor. I started Effexor after the birth of my daugter in 3/06 and got off of it around 12/05. Went back on Effexor in 9/06, after the sudden death of a family member. Now I'm trying to get off the Effexor and I've been waking up every morning with itching welts all over. I have some relief from finding similar posts, but I'd like to get off of Effexor without the pain and itching of hives.

I feel bad for all of us experiencing hives. My issue is that I was on Effexor for 4 YEARS and it was wonderful. All I had was dry eye, and lack of sex drive. I figured it was time to wean off to see if I could have a normal sex life. It took me 4 months to get off it. I was occasionally dizzy but knew that I was weaning off too quickly then. It's been 3 days without Effexor now.

I tried getting of it quicker once and had terrible withdrawal symptoms (vomiting, flu-like symptoms). So I have been off it completely for 3 days now and suddenly I get hives all over. What gives? I'll talk to my doctor but she didn't even know that weaning off Effexor is horrible for some. Good luck to you all while we itch to death. This forum was helpful.

Starting in September of 2006 I was put on Effexor for the obvious reasons. Everything was going fine, I then was placed on Gabapentin to aid along with the Effexor. February 1st of 2008 the Gabapentin dose was increased and that same day hives occured.

I have had hives in the past that was due to an allergy, but this time around the hives seemed different. I assumed the cause of the hives was the increase in the gabapentin, I was wrong. However, I was taken off the medication and then had the dose taken back to it's original dose, still hives occured.

Also this time no anti-histamine would seem to aid in treating the hives more so the itch which wasn't the cause when I had an actual allergy. My GP was dumber than a bucket of nails, so I was sent off to my Allergy specialist and he was also caught of guard. I had all the testing done to mankind and nothing appeared.

He gave me three different medications to take together at one time, and no affect whatsoever, not even the drowiness they should all cause.

I thought something just doesn't seem right and for awhile often thought of going off Effexor due to the withdrawal affects. However, a day ago I went online and started looking up Effexor and hives, BINGO!

For some the hives occur on the medication, or while trying to wean off the medication. Often the hives are not treatable as they are not an allergy it is damage to the immune system that Effexor can do to some, like myself and some of you.

I am now weaning off the Effexor slowly and the hives will likely last anywhere from another six months to two years as everyone has a different immune system.

It sucks having nothing to treat the itch, and knowing the hives will be here for some time, but at least I now know that I am not the only human being going through this.

I have been broken out in hives now for nine days. I have been on effexor for four months (225mg). I wake up with hives, they fade and come back usually in the early evening. And they itch like crazy. Two days ago was the first time my face and neck had hives and I have this strange dry sensation in the back of my throat. I have never had allergies of any kind before. I am seeing my doctor on Friday and I am going to ask to be weaned off this stuff. I hear that the withdrawal is pretty horrible too.

ooh my gosh...i have been having severe hives for the last year straight...my throat has swelled closed and they cant find anything wrong with me so i stopped taking my effexor xr and holy c**p after the withdrawal stuff went away i have not had any hives or angioedema and no more trips by ambulance to the e.r.

Hi, I just stumbled onto this site. Back in October of this year after coming home from a vacation in Minnesota I broke out in hives. It was miserable. I was covered from the top of my head to my toes. After a few days, I went and saw my local Dr.. She was convinced I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I was also running a low grade fever. She put me on an antibiotic and told me to stay home from work for a few days until the rash went away and then to take it easy until I felt better. I felt bad for several weeks. Recently, I missed a dose of my Effexor and began to have severe nausea, dissiness, headache etc. Then I looked on the internet to see what could be causing it all. Low and behold, I believe Effexor has caused all my symptoms over the last 3 months. Yesterday I started slowly cutting my dosage in half. Hopefully I can get in to see my doctor before I run out of medication. I wish doctors would read some of the posts in websites like these. I know they hate it when I suggest they made a mistake but I'm sure going to let her know that I want off of Effexor as soon as possible.

Hi, I've been on antidepressants now for almost 8 years. I took Lexapro for years and it was the bomb, helped so much but as I read previously it just stopped working after so much time.

The year before last I had stopped all my meds because I was doing so much better and the doc put me back on Lexapro and it was then, I noticed it just wasn't working anymore and I was up to 40 mg along with the Wellbutrin.

I've basically taken so many anti-depressants and nothing worked until I started taking the Effexor XL but I began having side effects that gradually got worse after a month. I had excessive sweating, horrible nightmares that grew worse and worse and then one day, I woke up and had wet the bed and I just felt so ashamed of myself. I was actually helping on the depression end but I just couldn't take it; it also kept my face broken out as well.

Hello, I have just been reading the blogs on this site, so glad i did, the last week i have broken out in terrible hives, really big welts, which seem to be worse in the morning (Itch like hell) and late evening and almost disapear throughout the day, i take telfast to relieve the itch. I have been on Efexsor (75mg) for 5 months now, i have never had hives or any allergies before, i also have experienced dry back of throught and break through bleeding through my monthly cycle. I am seeing my doctor on Monday to ween me off this stuff, but i am so stressed about getting my anxiety and depression back :'(

I only started taking effexor xl 75mg yesterday but this morning i woke up and found out my skin broke out in spots, They're everywhere along my hairline, on my chin, cheeks, chest and some on by back. I even have something what looks like red rash under my lip. Last night I felt really horrible, my throat was so swollen i could hardly eat or drink, I felt nauseous and had chills. I hardly slept and spent all night scratching myself as my whole body was itchy. I now took my second tablet and can already feel my throat swelling again. Am I having an allergic reaction or are these symptoms normal while the body is getting used to this drug? I've had severe depression for the past three years and my GP prescribed me effexor xl straight away. Now I'm really worried he made a wrong choice, especially after reading your comments.

i have been taking effexor for 8 months 300mg daily. I started to reduce my dose and developed HIVES that are drivung me nuts. I have had them for a month, worse at night and first thing in the morning. I take an anti histamine, but that only takes the edge off. I look like a lumpy bumpy red monster. I also found Effexor hasmade me put on 5 kilos. Time to find something esle, but i dont want the dark side to come back.

My oncologist (I had breast cancer in 2004) put me on Effexor XR 75mg for hot flashes 2 years ago. It was amazing how well it worked and I have been sailing through menopause. In April I started have severe hives. Like others on the post, I went to an immunologist to test for allergies (none) and have continued working with him while seeing my GP and an endocrinologist. All these doctors for over 6 months did not question the Effexor. Three trips to the ER for hives and facial swelling, multiple drugs including Xyzal, Zantac, Zyrtec, Atarax, Pepcid, and the last plaquenil used for Malaria. The idea was to suppress my immune system so the hives would go away. NONE of these drugs got rid of the hives. Only Prednesone has done that, but the side effects of it shutting down my adrenal glands makes me want to limit its use. Today I have hives on 60-70% of my body and scalp. Three days ago I went to an acupuncturist seeking relief. Turns out he was a pharmacist for 25 years and saw what some of the drugs were doing to people and left to study Chinese medicine and acupuncture. Within 3 minutes of being with him, he said “oh, you’re on Effexor? I’ll bet $100 that is why you have hives.” My oncologist said he has many women on Effexor and has never heard of anyone with hives. He is weaning me off over the next 6 weeks. This has been six months of hell living with the constant itching and heat from the hives. Just so you all know, I have found some relief with the acupuncture, and he said he can help even more with the withdrawal symptoms should I have them. Isn’t it ironic that my oncologist said he doesn’t believe in Eastern medicine, yet it was an Eastern medicine doctor who diagnosed the symptoms and brought the only relief I’ve had from a drug prescribed by a modern Western doctor!