McCarthy, Cormac. New York: Vintage, 1993.

This was the first book in the Border Trilogy, and I am awed by the narration and sense of adventure. John Grady leaves on horseback his Texas home with a buddy for Mexico in search for an ideal that seems to be traded in for oil fields. The adventures and trouble they soon find is not just a coming of age story but the coming of age of a boy who will become a true cowboy. What I love about this story, no matter how tough it gets out there for young Grady and no matter what life has taught him about his romantic ideals of love and life, he doesn't loose. He perseveres or always lives by his personal moral code. The West is drawn from images of sun, horses, stark lonely deserts, and the narration paints this canvas through and through. I am not surprised this book received the National Book award. It's definitely made its rightful place as part of the "Western" canon.

Good book. This was my favorite of the Border trilogy (The Crossing, Cities of the Plain). I was able to get a feel for the characters and the story a bit more in this one then the other two.

Have you read Blood Meridian by McCarthy? I've been wanting to read that one for a while, but have not quite gotten around to it yet.

I just started The Crossing today. A woman saw the book when I was getting ice cream last night and told me...ohhh, I couldn't get through that. When I asked her why she said, "it's sooo bloody and too many bad things happen." I thought but it's a cowboy story...that's too be expected, no?
I'm excited to read Blood Meridian too! :)