Nick Bantock s Griffon and Sabine trilogy is a captivating story about a romance between a London postcard designer and a stamp illustrator who lives on an island is the South Pacific. The reader opens envelopes pasted in the books and reads postcards and letters that unfold the unique relationship. More than just an intriguing love story, the art is haunting and beautiful, illuminating the surreal essense of the characters feelings. I bought this book for my grandmother and have read it myself and must say the trilogy is perhaps one of the most unique approaches to fiction I ve seen and enjoyed. For the person who is hard to buy for on your Christmas list, you may want to consider this trilogy if he or she is a fan of art and or literature, or you may want to consider Robert Sabuda s pop up books. He is truly a master of the art and the scenes depictions of the prose are truly a Christmas fantasy come to life. Exceptional.

Nick Bantock is one of my most favoritest authors ever. I have read nearly all his books. The Griffin and Sabine trilogy is amazing - but did you know there are three more books? The sixth and final book came out this last September.

After I read that series, I thought the genre was charming and searched out more epistolary novels - but nothing else comes close. They are truly unique and if you appreciate art and intuition and mystery and romance, you will love them!

I will have to check out Sabuda's books. Thanks for the recommendation shelee! :fubby:

Museum at Purgatory is the only one I haven't read! Thanks for the other recommendations, too! I was actually looking for Secrets of Pistoulet for a Christmas present and Barnes and Noble doesn't carry it anymore. :? I think I will get it from Amazon instead. :mrgreen Have you tried The Tattooed Map by Barbara Hodgson? It's not as good as the Bantock novels, but very impressive for her first book and an interesting story as well.

I received the first Griffon and Sabine book for Christmas. :thumbsup:
Now I'm forced to go buy the rest.