This is the first book of the new series: The Dreamers. If you didn t have any way of finding out the author of this book, but if you are familiar with the work of David Eddings, it is very easy to tell that this is a David Eddings novel. Not only is the style of writing consistent with his previous books, but several characters are reminiscent of previous characters (Polgara, Flute, Talen/Silk, etc). To be perfectly honest, this feels like a story that David Eddings has already told before, only this time he isn t telling it quite as well as before.

This is a story of the Land of Dhrall. This world (which contains Dhrall) is a primitive place, even considering this is a fantasy setting. Dhrall is ruled over by 4 gods, each taking a Domain to rule. Each Domain is one of the 4 compass directions, and in the center is a wasteland ruled by That-Called-The Vlagh, a hideous godlike creature. The four gods rule over Dhrall for 25 eons while 4 other gods sleep. At the end of the cycle, the gods which have been awake rest for 25 eons and the sleeping gods awake to take their place. When the book starts, it is nearing the end of one of these cycles and The Vlagh is plotting to take over the world.

The four gods hire out mercenary armies to defend their domains from The Vlagh. The god of the North, Dahlaine, creates four young children called The Dreamers. The Dreamers are actually the sleeping Elder Gods, but Dahlaine has figured out how to block their memories of being gods until they are older and it is time to change the cycles. The Dreamers have the ability to see the future in their dreams and also to affect that future through their dreams. With the Dreamers and the mercenary armies, the four gods hope to defend their Domains from the Vlagh and also to hopefully destroy the Vlagh.

The focus of this novel is in the Western Domain of Zelana. Zelana has rather striking resemblances to Polgara (from the Belgariad) when she talks, and Zelana s Dreamer Eleria reminded me of Flute (from the Elenium).

As much as I was looking forward to this book, it was a bit of a let down. It was too much like Edding s previous 16 books (Belgariad, Mallorean, Elenium, Tamuli), only it didn t have the depth of story and character that those books had. The Elder Gods was not a terribly interesting book, but if you are a fan of David Eddings, it was a very familiar book. Like all of Edding s work, it is a fast reading book (despite my disinterest), so I didn t spend a lot of time on it. I can only hope that in the next three books of this series there will be more development of character and story. I can t recommend this book. Only read this is you are a completionist and want to read everything David Eddings has written. Otherwise, skip this one. It doesn t even qualify as good fantasty.

Bummer.

I loved the Belgariad and the Mallorean. I started Elenium but never finished the series waiting for them to be published.

I would recommend Elenium/Tamuli. I think i might actually like those series better than the Garion books. I love the characters and the world of those books. It just seems to be more well developed.

I was just reading book reviews for The Elder Gods and the reviews are mixed. You didn't find it depthful enough, others are commenting that dialogue substitutes action. It seems like authors of epic fantasy can get one dimensional and superficial with the story line....hopefully the next books will be more pleasing.