By CS Lewis

This book came highly recommended by people I respect and admire. Even with that in mind, I still tend to read any book about Christianity with a healthy bit of skepticism, even though I am a Christian. I always read a book like this looking to pick it apart, ready to jump on anything with which I disagree. This book quickly disabused me of that notion.

This book is written by a man who was a very respected prof at Cambridge. He was asked by the BBC to do some wartime (WWII) talks on Christianity. So, rather than being a book, it is more a series of talks. Each chapter can stand alone, but it is better read in its entirety.

It is an amazing book. It is complicated yet simple. The words and sentences and analogies are easy to understand yet the concepts are sometimes mind boggling. This is one book that would be difficult to not be affected by. I know I will think about his words for years to come. It is not a book to just blow through. Some nights I would read a few chapters, others just a page.

His insight and prescience are astounding and impressive. Everything he talks about is still as relevant today as it was the day he gave his talks.

I give it 12 out of 10 stars.

I'm glad you liked it. I read it over 20 years ago and there are things I still remember. I would recommend some of Lewis' other writings - I especially liked The Great Divorce and The Screwtape Letters. His science fiction trilogy is also good.

One of the "must reads" by Christians I believe. Chuck Colson cites the book often and said it was key for his understanding of Christianity. I loved the book, it really affirmed some of my beliefs and allowed me to have a greater insight into the basics of Christianity.