This is the debut novel from Christopher Paolini. Paolini graduated high school when he was 15 and started work on a novel. When he was 17, Eragon was published by Knopf and the book landed at the top of bestsellers lists across the country. This would be a good first novel for anyone, but as this is the debut novel from a teenager, I think we have just been put on notice that a major new talent has arrived. This was quite a good novel, and Paolini will only get better as he ages and refines his craft.

This is, at its core, a simple and fairly typical fantasy story. A fifteen year old boy lives in an isolated village in the mountains. One day while exploring he comes across a blue gem. Selling this gem will help get enough money for his family to have enough to eat for some time, but nobody knows quite what it is worth and the regular traders do not want to fleece young Eragon. The stone turns out to not be a gem, but rather an egg, a dragon egg to be exact. When the dragon is born, Eragon decides to raise it, and learns that dragons are very intelligent and powerful creatures. There were once Dragon Riders in the land, but the evil King Galbatroix, a former Rider himself and with the help of rogue Riders, hunted down the Riders and slaughtered them. Now there are no Riders left. Galbatroix knows that the egg is out there and he is sending his forces out to reclaim the egg/ and the new Rider, Eragon.

Eragon is reminiscent of the fantasy of Tolkien, Anne McCaffrey, Terry Brooks, and several other fantasy authors. It is similar, but Paolini tells his story well enough, and makes it interesting enough, that it doesn t really matter. Paolini was able to hold my interest well enough that I am looking forward to the second book in the Inheritance trilogy and I am glad that I finally got around to giving Eragon a try. It was a fun book to read, and was rather fast paced. I also understand that it is primarily marketed for the teenaged audience, but then again Harry Potter is supposed to be a children s story.

Mr Poky just finished the book and loved it.

I'm glad he liked it. Does he typically read a lot of fantasy?