As it says on the book jacket, this book is about a Legend of Wrestling. This is not just faint praise or exaggeration. Classy Freddie Blassie is a true legend of the ring and his career spans a half century as a wrestler and a manager. All I knew of Blassie was that he was a manager and that he was still used in some WWE promotional videos about the legacy of the WWE. When I first started watching wrestling as a small child, Blassie was unfortunately ending his career as a manger, so I never had a chance to see the man work.

This book takes us over the span of Blassie s wrestling career, and also his life. This is a look at a completely different era of wrestling, one where there were no high flyers and very few people outside of the business knew that wrestling was fixed. We see Blassie s rise in the business as he wrestled in various territories (there was no single big Federation like the WWE, but rather the country was split into many wrestling territories) as well as in Japan. We see Blassie s failings as a family man, a husband, and a father, and we see his partial redemption in his last wife. All of this is told in Blassie s rather crass, vulgar, but fairly genial, personality. A sense of Fred Blassie the man really comes out in this (auto)biography.

Even though this book is published by WWE, Blassie does not hold back his venom against those he has issues with, nor does he stint on praise for those who have behaved well towards him. Woven in throughout this book are short segments written by people who knew Blassie and are commenting on particular things about Blassie s life and career that happen to be relevant to the chapter at hand. These people include his son Ron (the only one of his children he still had contact with), his wife, George The Animal Steele, Vince McMahon, The Rock, and some other professional wrestlers from Blassie s day.

I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed this book. I know very little about the older eras of professional wrestling and only the names of some of the stars of the time. I found this to be a fascinating book as a fan of wrestling, but I think that this would also be interesting for anyone (even someone who has never watched a match and never will). This is an interesting story and Blassie has led a very interesting life. The only word of warning I will give is that Blassie is frequently profane in this book, but now you are warned.