Hi, folks. I have a friend that suffers from bulimia. She was recommended to try with repressed memory therapy. I don’t know the details about it, but I would like to find out. I was hoping that someone could tell me if there are any clinical studies. I would really appreciate all your replies.

Hello. Repressed memory therapy (RMT) is a form of psychotherapy. This approach assumes that disorders like bulimia, sexual inhibition, depression, excessive anxiety or insomnia are caused by repressed memories of childhood abuse. Of course these memories are repressed unconsciously. RMT claims that healthy psychological state can be achieved only by facing these repressed memories. I don’t know exactly, but there must be some clinical studies that would prove this. There is no “acceptable amount” of childhood abuse. Any amount of abuse is intolerable and it leaves consequences. I hope your friend will resolve her bulimia. Good luck to her!

Hi, guys. I have also heard about RMT. You would be surprised if you knew how many people were abused in their childhood. However, some experts think that RMT can be dangerous. For instance, the Royal College of Psychiatrists in Britain has officially prohibited their members from recovering the suppressed memories of childhood abuse. There must be a reason for this. The British Psychological Society does not ban their members to use RMT. However, they say that memories that appear may come from fantasies and dreams. As you can see, there are still controversies about RMT. Your friend should really think well before accepting it. Bye!

Hello to all. I have also heard about RMT controversies. The American Psychological Association does not ban their members from using this technique. However, they also are not sure if recovered memories are real ones. It is very difficult to distinguish real ones from false ones. Even a subject that has recovered memories does not fully understand them. This is a complex issue. In any case, bulimia is a serious disease. Your friend must do something. Good luck!