Users comments and reviews on article Nickel Allergy Symptoms and Treatment by Dr. Shelley Narula

My son, now 16, has braces containing nickel. His barely discernable acne got terrible right after the braces went on his top teeth and he had to go on antibiotics. That cleared it up. Then, braces went on his bottom teeth and the acne flared again. Now he is on accutane and he is having an exhuberant response. Could the nickel braces be contributing? This has nagged at me ever since the braces went on and he had such a flare.

I can tell you my experience with nickel allergies. When I was a child in the band playing the clarinet. The ligature on the mounth piece used to make my mouth brakeout in a soar that was red and blistery. I would only play during the school year and not during the summer. So it would clear up all summer long and come back when I went back to school.
I switched to the drums and it never came back. When I got braces I had to make sure that it was all nickel free.
You sons reaction is very possible.
I have had a nickel allergy all my life that has gradually gotten worse in the last 30 years. Looking back now the Clarinet was the first sign.
Now it extends to jelwery and food as well.

i have a nickel allergy

ohhhhhhhhhh i play the clarinet too i hope that my literature isnt made of nickel. but i dont think so because ive never had sores.

What I am seeing here is very old, but hope someone can respond. I had lapband surgery 11 months ago and starting 2 weeks after, I developed a horrible problem around my lips that makes them itch, red, swollen, miserable. Long-story short, allergy testing resulted in telling me I have a nickel allergy. The lapband manufacturer verified nickel in the device. My dermatologist says that is not what is causing my problem. She prescribed some cream that is working, but I still have a rash (internal) on my feet and ankles that pops up every few days. Anyone hear of the lapband causing ongoing problems? I am thinking I may have to have it removed - am concerned about long-term affects.