Users comments and reviews on article Systemic vs. Topical Antifungal Drugs by Dr. Shelley Narula

Thank you for such an informative article. Medical mycology has been gaining importance as the world's number of Aids cases continue to rise.

That helps a lot in determining what type of skin treatments that can be used. There seems to be a variety and many options, as there are a variety of fungal infections as well. I have seen several cases of people working in bars, frequenting tanning beds, or working out in gyms and picking up fungal infections so this is a good resource of what to do if that happens. Fungal infections between the toes is quite popular with children as well, so this is a great resource for those of you who have kids and are dealing with these issues. It must be similar to "athlete's feet." In all, great article and resource. Thank you.

I have a fungal nail infection. Been taking anti-fungal drugs for three months but it isslow to go. Should I try topical treatment?

User avatar 6908 posts
I've had a toenail infection for a looong time. It was probably 30 years ago when I got it and my doctor at the time was very unconcerned. His reaction was: I never heard of anyone dieing from it. Live with it.

He moved away and I found my present doctor who shares his unconcern.

I, on the other hand, would like to get rid of it. Having my toenails lifted above the nailbed about a quarter inch where they are painful when walking and hurt if anything presses down on them is getting old.

I tore one off about 20 years ago when I stubbed a toe on the bed post. It grew back clean and remained clean for years. My doctor still claimed that people who have tried the oral stuff just have it come back later. I felt that having that one stay clean for so long was pretty good proof that whatever caused it in the first place was no longer a problem.

When I was in a Pfizer Lipitor study the doctor who was administering it noticed them during the EKG she was doing on me as part of the regular checkups and promised to give me a prescription when the study was over. All she gave me was a note to give my doctor saying it was OK to do it now. He still refused to give me any prescription.

I have tried all the home remedies and over the counter c**p with no relief at all.

I don't believe it's good to shop for doctors to get what you want, but I'm getting close to doing that.