Users comments and reviews on article Pros and cons of SSRI medications by SirGan

A good general article on SSRIs, though I would note that Effexor is a SNRI (serotonin & norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) and Wellbutrin is a DNRI (dopamine & norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) - in fact, Wellbutrin doesn't work on serotonin at all! Important to note bc Wellbutrin can be taken as Zyban to help with smoking cessation and can be taken IN ADDITION to an SSRI; otherwise, taking two drugs from the same class of SSRI could put one at risk for serotonin syndrome.

I took Paxil for my anxiety condition OCD when it wasn't working well & the Dr. increased the dosage it made me feel awful! There were days I didn't care if I made it home from work alive! I have never felt that way before & I'm No teenager! I'm 37! If you take SSRI's becareful! I do not believe it affects only kids! Be warned . Melissa in Michigan

I'm awfully shocked by the suicide ideation because you'd think that someone would be taking these to avoid comitting suicide so to find out that it actually increases the chance that you'd commit suicide then what's the point in taking them in the first place? I know it's meant to help with depression but if you are taking SSRIs and end up killing yourself then that's not very effective. Shocking indeed, I think!

I’m all for taking an advil when I have a headache. But these are a different animal! I’ve seen my sister go through hell for the last 12 years, and given countless drug cocktails. It started when she was going through a divorce, and they were prescribed to help her ‘through the rough patch’. Then, rather than making her feel better, she started to seem crazy – manic. The more crazy she felt, the more doctors took that as evidence that she needed MORE drugs! Even for the people that don’t have the most severe side effects (suicide), I think of the countless MILLIONS who have had their emotions blunted from experiencing normal love, sadness, compassion. They leave their marriages, engage in risky behaviour and don’t care about the consequences. Don’t doctors realize, then when you quiet the stress and anxiety, you can’t help but also quiet the conscience, the heart and the spirit. Where in the medical journals will they account for all the lost souls to these drugs?