Does anyone else have insomnia after taking Dextromethorphan? I have, and it is killing me. I even think that I will need to leave my job because of it. Is there a way I can deal with this? I want and really need to sleep. I am so tired and I am not able to think any more. Please help me, I am desperate.

I had the same problem after taking Dextromethorphan. I complained about this to my doctor and she gave me some other drugs that helped me a lot. I do not remember the name of those pills, I am sorry. Why dont you see your doctor and talk to him or her about it? You cannot treat yourself.

I also recognized the same problem after using DXM. Some advice I have to offer. First and foremost, I will offer you this: DRINK WATER. Water gets rid of the toxins the Dextromethorphan put in. It helps keep your cells quenched (so they can work more efficiently), and actually helps you avoid hangovers.

If you would like some more detailed advice, read on:

1. Re-prioritize. Job > drugs.
Limit your use to the weekends if it's affecting your sleep that much. You shouldn't be using excessively within a short period of time, anyway: it builds up tolerance more quickly, and doesn't allow your body to replenish its natural chemicals. One thing that's effected when you take DXM is your body's serotonin reuptake process. Your body makes serotonin (which is a chemical that controls sleep, as well as many things about your mood) naturally. DXM is an SSRI, which means it alters your body's natural process of serotonin reuptake. Since the DXM bombards your system with serotonin, your body slows down on your body's natural production (and even processing of) serotonin. This hinders your body's natural production of serotonin, which essentially leads to minor depression. With regular use, this could lead to addiction--or worse, dependency.

2. On the nights you choose to do it, make sure you take it relatively early in the evening and that you are able to sleep in the next day.
If you're just hitting the lower plateaus, plan for about 6 hours on the trip, and 2-3 additional to allow yourself time to fall asleep. So if you're aiming on falling asleep at 2am, take the drug around 6pm. To fall asleep more easily after the trip, avoid sugar and caffeine as much as possible. Some things that may help you fall asleep are: warm milk, chamomile tea, valerian tea, and/or a good book. Try to avoid using over-the-counter sleep aids, as they may contribute to your serotonin reuptake inhibition. Also avoid smoking cigarettes before bed, as nicotine is a stimulant.

3. Finally, some things to help in the morning...
I find that a bowl of cereal and some orange juice wakes me up perfectly fine. If that doesn't do it, go ahead and drink some coffee. Take some B vitamins (known to help both energy and metabolism, like coffee). Keep drinking water. If you have a hangover, ibuprofen or aspirin can be helpful. Do some cardiovascular activity, or even just try to stretch (I know we don't all have time for that, especially if you have work after one of those nights, but it does boost energy).

So there you have it. Probably all things you already know, but that's what I recommend. My general rule of thumb: if it's not natural, try to avoid it. And drink plenty of water.

Actually dextromethorphan is a NONSELECTIVE serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Thus being greatly preffered recreationally and less likely to induce suicidal ideation than your everyday Zoloft/Paxil/Prozac mumbo jumbo