My mom suffers from severe depression. She has been some time on therapy with SSRI’s. Last weeks her therapist switched her on Cipramil. I would like to know more about this drug. Is she going to be her whole life on therapy? I wasn’t to move out from my parent’s house but I don’t know what to do with her. I am afraid to leave her alone with dad. I don’t think that he understands her. What kind of drug is Cipramil?

Cipramil tablets and drops contain the active ingredient citalopram hydrochloride. It is also one type of antidepressant known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). You should know that depression occurs when there is decrease amount of serotonin released from nerve cells in the brain. Drugs like cipramil work by preventing serotonin from being reabsorbed back into the nerve cells in the brain. citalopram helps relieve depression, panic and fear.