Users comments and reviews on article Marijuana: Pros and cons by SirGan

Medical Marijuana Should Be Legal!
No Question

I'm always skeptical about government studies, but 3.1 million daily users seems about right. You might consider editing the content to include treatment for addiction, and a more thorough description of recovery at the top, rather than at the bottom. People on this forum seem to be looking to stop smoking, and don't really need details about consumption...

"It is proven that someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do. These problems include daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illnesses, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency toward obstructed airways. In fact, Marijuana smoke has been found to contain more cancer-causing agents than is found in tobacco smoke."

Lies! Lies! Lies!

"It is generally considered to be impossible to achieve a lethal overdose by smoking cannabis. According to the several researches and experiments - the lethal dose for 50% of rats tested is 42 mg/kg of body weight although it was done by inhalation. If we transform these results to humans- that is equivalent of a 75 kg man ingesting the 21 gram cigarettes of high-potency cannabis buds at once."

Which might I add, is impossible. So don't fool your under-informed user into thinking it can be done.

LIES!! It is impossible to ever die from marijuana, even if taken daily long term, get your sh*t straight before you post it on the web please

It is physically impossible to overdose from smoking cannabis therefore it makes it SAFER then alcohol and tobacco. Those LEGAL drugs KILL hundreds of thousands of people a year, that is a FACT. I wish freedom to all the non violent cannabis users who are being imprisoned for executing their free will by consuming a plant which causes no harm and or suffering to anyone. LEGALIZE!

It is impossible to die of an overdose smoking the herb, it what have to be well over several ounces domed in under 3 hours (after 3 hours, in low-tolerance users, about the duration of the high, the THC starts filtering out of the blood; so after 3 hours your just keeping the high going as oppose to building on it to dangerous levels) - so good luck on that :O XD o.O

But it is not beyond the realm of possiblity to fataly overdose through oral ingestion. While its hard to choke down that many ounces into yer lungs, I know my friends are fully capable of grindin down multiple twelve ounce steaks down at the local steakhouse within 3 hours (especially aided by the munchies). People have ended up in the ER due to insane wicked levels of THC - so I imagine if you were to smoke your self retarded (a usual friday night) and substitute those steaks for some fat zips of potent ganja - you could manage to munch down a potentially fatal amount o' dank!

I have been smoking pot daily for about 20 years, and as well was a moderate smoker of cigarettes for 25 years. (I"m a mom of 2 but have not smoked either pot or cigarettes in front of my kids.) I have unsuccessfully quit both smokes a number of times in those years and have found the quitting cigarettes was by far the easiest. I am now in a quandary - do I quit the pot or, since I actually enjoy the taste and feeling (not the cost so much and the fact that there's lots of c**p out there), keep on truckin'? The reason that I'd quit smoking pot would be for the health of my body and mind (specifically my mind!) but do not look forward to the withdrawals. And since my husband will try to do anything to keep my happy (lucky, I know), he agrees to support me when I quit, but will just as quickly pick up a baggie for me when I beg for it. So basically, all I can say, is that if one is ready, REALLY, EMOTIONALLY READY, then you'll feel the right time to quit (or not). Either way, we all make our own decisions, right?
OH, and I meant to say that I support legalization of marijuana as well as an age limit. Adults only please!

Ive been addicted for the past 5 to 6 months. Smoking every hour on the hour. I cant remember alot. But ive seen an increase recently in my vocabulary. The down fall is that every morning i wake up around 5. To sh*t. Or throw up. Im nausious evry morning til i get high. Weed is good. But not if u cant afford it and not if it takes or destroys those u love around u. "Its fun....but selfish." Think about it.

it said that weed causes cancer more then tobacco smokers, and then it said it helps relieve cancer pain..how does that work if it causes it?

>;) This article only burns the plant in so many ways! This b***h is making it sound like if you smoke marijuana your also doing a variety of other drugs! I only smoke pot and ciggaretes, thats it! And thats not only me, I know tons of other people who only do the same thing, its pretty much just like smoking cigarettes and drinkin beer pretty much the exact same thing, cept one makes you stupid and violent an liable to get in a car crash, and the plant gives you a good vibe with no impaired driving skills...the only difference is that one is legal and the other isn't. OH and another thing, Im baked right now!

Really? Is "Respect for music and art" really on the list of things weed does to you? ***

I smoke weed every day. I never wake up or go to sleep coughing unless i'm sick which, lucky for me, only happens about once a year. Am I an anomoly? How can it be that i get high multiple times a day and rarely get sick and never have "smokers hack"? Also, i go to the gym every day; Holy Cow! I'm not lazy, stupid or forgetfull. Guess I'm a biological freak.

from wikipedia:
"According to the Merck Index, 12th edition, THC has a LD50 value of 1270 mg/kg (male rats) and 730 mg/kg (female rats) administered orally dissolved in sesame oil.[4]

If this were scaled up to an adult human, the LD50 would be between approximately 86 g and 50 g (me: OF THC, NOT BUD) for a 68-kg (150-lb) male or female person, respectively. This would be equivalent to 1-1.8 kg of cannabis with a 5% THC content (roughly average) taken orally. The LD50 value for rats by inhalation of THC is 42 mg/kg of body weight. It is important to note, however, that toxicity in animal models does not necessarily correlate to human toxicity. THC receptor distribution in the rat central nervous system is different from that of humans, meaning that there is the significant possibility that toxicity in humans varies from the published animal LD50 studies. There has never been a documented fatality from marijuana or THC overdose.[5] Absorption is limited by serum lipids, which can become saturated with THC, thus the inherent solubility may mitigate toxicity.

Studies of the distribution of the cannabinoid receptors in the brain explain why THC's toxicity is so low (i.e., the LD50 of the compound is so large): Parts of the brain that control vital functions such as respiration do not have many receptors, so they are relatively unaffected even by doses larger than could ever be ingested under any normal conditions."

AND

"TETRAHYDROCANNABINOL TOXICITY DATA:
666 mg/kg ORAL-RAT LD50;
482 mg/kg ORAL-MOUSE LD50;
525 mg/kg ORAL-DOG LD5O;
29 mg/kg INTRAVENOUS-RAT LD50;
42 mg/kg INTRAVENOUS-MOUSE LD50;
128 mg/kg INTRAVENOUS-MONKEY LDLO;
373 mg/kg INTRAPERITONEAL-RAT LD50;
168 mg/kg INTRAPERITONEAL-MOUSE LD50;"

FYI Oral is in the mouth, intravenous is in the veins and intraperitoneal is in the area that contains the abdominal organs.

Well, from what i found on the internet, marijuana is a gateway drug that can lead to more harmful things such as Cocaine and Heroine. By the way this is not just about "Smoke weed cause it's awsome" It's about medical marijuana and people suffering from AIDS and HIV. :-(