Hi All,

Wow, its very interesting to read all these posts relating to postmenopausal bleeding after a cortisone injection. I am having the same issues after a cortisone injection in my shoulder.

My gyno history before menopause, which finally ocurred at 57, was a mess due to endometrial hyperplasia and recurrent ovarian cysts (which were benign). I was on progesterone for years and/or birth control pills to avoid a hysterectomy.  I've been doing great so far except for a recent pap which came back abnormal.  :(

Now after getting a cortisone injection last month, and almost 2 years into menopause, I recently started to have bleeding and pain in my left flank and ovary. It has lasted now for 5 days and seems to be getting worse. Im wondering if the cortisone has triggered more problems?

Going to see my gyno specialist ASAP to hopefully determine what is going on. 

I am furious to read how many of us were never informed about ANY side effects of the shot. How can this happen? Why didn't my ortho doc (who was a woman of my age!!) not warn me?? According to these posts, many doctors dont even see a relationship, despite patients complaints!!

Many thanks to those who actually posted a follow up on the outcome of their tests. Some were very thankful because their issues were serious and actually had polyps or cancer. 

I'm considering creating a blog for this topic in order to help others who are unaware and who should follow up on bleeding issues even though it could be just the cortisone which triggered bleeding. 

I'll be sure to follow up with my test findings. Good luck to all!

I am 72 and postmenopausal since I was 56, I get cortizone shots in my lower back every few months waiting for surgery I had a shot and 5 weeks later I had cramping and bleeding,, went immediatly to the gyn dr who did a uterine biopsy and then a ultrasound and told to prepare myself for a d&c, but since the first two tests were negative we would "wait and see" I have postponed the needed back surgery bc I dont know if this will come back, I did notmention the cortizone shot to the gyn doc but my pain doctor said he has heard of this side effect of bleeding or even missed periods with younger woman.. Now I am not sure what to do but wait and see, I was also using premarin which kept me from the frquent utis.. now am told not to use them.. my thyroid medicine has not been absorbed so I am hypothyroid as well, now on the highest dose,, everything that seems to help me backfires, just would like to have my fears desolved.

dont know what to think

I am 57 and have been menopausal over 10 years. I had a cortisone last month and recently began to spot. Will let you know what my doctor says asap.

See the recent article published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, which studied approx 7000 women and showed that, indeed, steroid injections do trigger abnormal bleeding. Google the words "steroid injection, abnormal vaginal bleeding."

I am a 65 y/o woman, postmenopausal for 10 years with no bleeding whatsoever in those 10 years.   4 weeks ago I received a cortisone shot in my knee.  2 weeks after that I started vaginal bleeding, originally spotting, which eventually became very heavy bleeding.   I read all the entries by other women and printed the article from AJOG.   I went to my gyn who emphatically denied a relation between the shot and the bleeding.  He was actually shaking his head no even as I talked about it.  He did a biopsy and I had 2 ultrasound tests done all of which are negative, thankfully.   I returned to the ortho dr today and he never heard of it either.   My gyn now is backpedaling on his opinion and admits that I must be one of the rare women (as indicated in the article) effected in this manner by cortisone.  The gyn said he was going to copy the article to the others in his practice!!!   This has been a very upsetting experience and I doubt I'd have another cortisone injection.  Also, for 5 days after the injection, I had severe pain in the knee/lower leg which seems to be cortisone flare, but the ortho dr said the 5 day length was very unusual.  Looks like my body reacted in a sever negative way.   I'm glad though that I had all the tests done so I'm certain it was the cortisone.  

How long did the heavy bleeding last? Did you get anemic? Was there anything in particular done to stop the bleeding. (I am bleeding very much in a similar situation to you).

I received a steroid shot last week for my allergies that was just terrible,....I began bleeding vaginally the next week after being post menopausal for 14 months. I totally freaked out because I always heard that any bleeding after menopause was not a good thing. It happened over a holiday so I got to panic an extra day. I went to my PCP and she was alarmed took a UA and a CBC and said she would refer me to a specialist because I could not possibly tolerate long at the rate I was bleeding. I have not gone to the specialist as of yet (they are supposed to call and schedule me today), but thinking back 8 years ago, I received a steroid injection for my hip and had a heavy prolonged period and had to visit my GYN doctor at that time for the same issue. I asked her at that time could it be the steroids and she immediately said "NO, there are no studies indicating that outcome." Those are my personal findings and I will take this to the specialist and perhaps call and ask the PCP,....at least this morning I think I have my answer.

I had the same problems too

A light bulb just went off reading all these posts.  I just turned 50 last week but my last period was October 2012 so I was through menopause October 2013 (per my gyno).  Then I got a cortisone shot in both feet for plantar faciitis AND took prednisone and then in 2 weeks I had the worst vaginal bleeding for 10 days.  I went to my gyno and they did a test for cancer and ultra sound and everything came back normal.  I had to get another set of cortisone shots in my feet 2 1/2 weeks ago and guess what?  I started the same heavy vaginal bleeding 2 days ago !  I originally thought the last time the prednisone brought on the bleeding after my gyno ruled out cancer, but I think it is now the cortisone shots (because I didn't take the prenisone this time).  I'm going back to the foot doctor tomorrow and I'll ask him his opinion and let everyone know what he says.  He is getting ready to retire this month so maybe he has seen a history of this and/or will be willing to tell me what he knows about it.

Hi, I have just read your comment on postmenopausal bleeding after a cortisone injection. Its really strange because I had an injection 3 weeks ago and on it was fantastic and I am now pain free. However, on Saturday I started to get a really bad headache and feeling a bit spaced out but thought nothing of it until I got home and realised why. I had started bleeding. I have not had a period in 8 years so I was obviously very worried. I called the doctor on Monday and made an appointment for the next day. Meanwhile I called the hospital where I had the injection and was assured that this could happen when you have a cortisone injection so felt some relief. However, when I went to my surgery this morning the nurse told me that she had never heard of this and went to check with a GP who also had never heard of it and told me I would be referred to a consultant gynae because she felt it was something serious. Well, I am beside myself with worry and was rather confused to the difference of opinions. I then called my rheumatologist who told me he agreed with my GP and that he wouldnt think for one minute it was the injection that has caused the bleeding and I should concentrate on what the real reason is. Obviously I am still worried but more annoyed at the difference of opinions between medical people. It just seems rather a coincidence that soon after the injection I myself experienced bleeding but I am going to get it checked out anyway. Am rather confused at the moment.

Its TRUE.. I also just went thru the same ordeal- cortisone shot in thumb joint  and within a week started post menapausal bleeding much to my worry.. I work in Radiology in a hospital so I had my GP fax me a RX for US/ took report & went immediately to a well known GYN- and the first thing he asked me was - 'Had I had a cortisone shot recently?' OMG-- I saved my self from worry, biopsy, etc......He is 79 yo and I suppose seen it many times over the years - but this should be told to us by the ortho DR giving the shot so we all don't go crazy with fear!

Hi..add another victim to the list of post menapausal bleeding due to steroid but I get it even from oral steroids, which unfortunately I have to take if I get bronchitis due to also having asthma.
I have turned down the steroid shots for my neck, shoulder and back issues because of this...What I do not understand is why now since I have taken prednisone and had steroid shots in the past without this reaction. My dermatologist just prescribed "Clobetasol" for my continuing hair loss but I have not used it because it is a strong steroid..and I am concerned with getting a reaction.
I feel that there is a connection to some other symptoms that I am having..that point to a possible autoimmune condition, however the rheumatologist did a battery of tests last July and nothing came up.....and treatment for most autoimmune conditions is usually steroids..

I had been having extreme general hair loss, confirmed by the dermatologist who ran blood work and found I had a positive ANA....in addition I have had thrush 3 or more times...bronchitis 2x annually, eye problems (punctum closed shut with no apparent cause-now have a Jones tube in right eye) bi-lateral vitreal hemorhages 3 months apart, bacterial vaginal infections, skin peeling of the fingers 2-3x a year. Neck, back and joint pain, GI distress.
I just had a D&C and hysteroscopy and polyp removals because I was spotting again without benefit of steroids...I have now had a reaction to general anesthesia the last two times that it was administered..2014 arthroscopy of right knee and I had no motility in the lower GI tract but was able to induce vomiting for relief .and everything came up undigested. This time I had absolutely no motility in the upper and lower GI tract...could not induce vomiting...stomach distention was painful...was having severe acid re-flux also.. Spent 16 hours in the ER with an Ileus. Because of my last experienc,e this time I had taken precautions - a laxative the day before surgery, two aloe caps the morning after surgery plus fiber caps, lots of water...and when things still weren't moving I took acidophilus and probiotics as well as papaya and pineapple enzymes.
Rheumatologist wants to monitor me annually as he feels the ANA is on the cusp - not high enough to be definite but not low enough to ignore - he feels that possibly something is "percolating". I will be seeing him soon..good luck everyone...

Well I had a Cortisone Injection 2 years ago and within a few days I started bleeding. I was really worried at the time and it happened over the weekend so I couldn't ring the consultant to see why this had happened. I went to the GP and the nurse told me that this injection would not cause bleeding and would check with one of the doctors and then informed me that this was not normal and I would have to go for tests. I was extremely worried by this time so I called my consultant and he assured me that this injection would not cause bleeding. I told him that I had researched it and the facts are that it does. Now when I first saw him, he referred me to a colleague at the Nuffield Hospital as an emergency and the consultant there was actually a good friend of his. I called him and he told me the complete opposite and that it is a fact that Cortisone can cause abnormal bleeding and there is nothing to worry about. So, already I had four different opinions. I had all the tests done in hospital and when I told them I had the Cortisone injection they said it was because of that and all else was clear. So big relief. When I went to my follow up with my consultant (the one who denied it caused bleeding) he remembered what I told him over the phone and he was still adamant that it would not cause the bleeding. I said "well why don't you google it like I have and you will see for yourself". His answer was "I haven't got the time to do that". I thought what a stupid person he was. This man refers people all the time for these injections and he knew less than me. I haven't had an injection since but I can bet that if I did then I would bleed again. And I would love to know what that consultant would think about that because it would not be a coincidence. Sometimes they need to listen to the patients and it is useful to know that this could happen rather than panic people.

Someone needs to educate our doctors about this phenomenon. I have been given prednisone pills and/or injections for a good part of my adult life as I have asthma and when I come down with bronchitis it is the only way I can keep functioning. I am 65 and the last 5 or 6 times that I was prescribed prednisone I get a full blown period...I am almost 10 years post menopausal so this is pretty strange...The only doctor that even remotely recognized this as an issue was the pain management doctor who said that I was not a good candidate for cortisone injections due to my "sensitivity" to steroids. I have spoken to my GP (internist), my OB/GYN, my rheumatologist, dermatologist (s)..endocrininologist, even my podiatrist...all have NEVER heard of this....sometimes they look at me like they think I am either crazy of making it up.
I even spoke to my OB/GYN about my concern over using a medication for hair loss, prescribed by my dermatologist because it is a strong steroid. This was discussed with him at my follow up appointment after a D&C and hysteroscopy that was performed to remove polyps that were discovered when I noticed staining and had NOT taken any type of steroid. His response to my concern..."Use it...if you have vaginal bleeding at least you know that everything OK internally because your biopsy was benign". I was flabbergasted as there is much more than the uterus involved in the process....it means that there are hormones being released from glands that have turned off the process for over 10 years....what are the effects on those other parts of my body??? The problem with all the "specialization" is that there is nobody who is concerned with our entire bodies...all they worry about is their particular specialty....and not being involved in litigation regarding their area of "expertise"...sad....very sad...passing up an opportunity to learn something new...understand the mechanism and possibly improve the quality of their patients lives..

I'm 56 and have been post-menopausal for 4 years. I had a cortisone injection in my hip bursa a few days ago for a sever case of bursitis. Very shortly afterward, I began having the same type of vaginal discharge I used to get when I ovulated. Then a few days later, I began to get pain and bloating on the left side of my abdomen, in the area of the left ovary -- exactly the same symptoms I used to get when I ovulated, before menopause. I have absolutely no doubt that this is ovulation. I expect that I might get a period in two weeks. I'm relieved to find this (and other) threads on various forums on the Web. I used to get ovarian cysts, which is why I was on oral contraceptives for years before menopause. I really hope that this doesn't turn into an ovarian cyst. In the past, the doctor would give me oral contraceptives to shrink them. Now, of course, that is not an option.

What confuses me is: I've had cortisone shots in the past for hip pain (in the hip joint) and I've also been on prednisone post-menopause a couple of times, and this didn't happen. It doesn't make any sense to me. If my abdominal symptoms continue more than a week or two, I will see my GYN. I have no history (or family history) of any sort of cancer and my PAPs have always been normal, including one that I had just a couple of months ago.