Hi, I'm a 32 y/o healthy, fit, female on no medications. I went to my Doctor a week ago as I have chronic sinusitis that flared up with an allergy. I saw a new Doctor who suggested Depo Medrol (Cortisone) 120mg injection and antibiotics. I was a bit wary of cortisone as I'd read of all the nasty side effects but he said there wouldn't be any as it was one injection and it would definitely help my sinus problems, so I did. About 3 hours later I started having dizziness and the worst heart racing I've ever had. I do get anxiety but not like this!!! I went back to my normal doctor a few days later, she did blood tests, checked my pulse and heart and did an EKG all were normal. She said it can do this and should wear off in a few days..it' hasn't and I also have developed a cough, so I'm going to take the antibiotics to see if it helps but the racing heart is TERRIBLE..I'm also very emotional and cry so easily. I'm also scared now that it's going to mess up my menstrual cycle. I'm very regular and on no birth control so I'm hoping it doesn't. Has anyone else had menstrual problems from one cortisone shot? If you did, did your Doctor give you anything to help it get back on track? I'm going on my honeymoon in 6 months and I have planned it around my period so I'm hoping I can get it right before then.

Also if anyone had one shot like I did, how long did it take to wear off?
I will never take this poison again..Doctors have no idea what it can do I don't believe.
Any advice would help.

You may have had an allergic reaction to the corticosteroid, or to the benzyl alcohol that it is dissolved in.

I agree. It sounds to mel ike you are allergic to the cortisone and you should talk to your doctor about that. Don't take an antibiotic without your doctor's guidance though, okay? LEt me know how you're doing.

When I saw your post I thought of my daughter. Last year she had two steroid injections for a respiratory infection about two weeks apart. Not long after the second shot, she went on to develop tachycardia. The night we took her to the emergency room her resting heart was over 150 beats per minute (a resting heart rate is between 60-100). She developed orthostatic hypertension. Of course, none of the doctors verbally connected her condition to the shots, but if you do the research, steroids can cause tachycardia, changes in blood pressure and arrythymias. She was very sick for a long time after the shot. Her menstural cycles became irregular for months. In fact, she would have intermittent spotting. Before these shots, she was a healthy girl. She told me it took her about six months to feel better. However, even unto this day, about a year later, she can on occassion get a high resting heart beat. I personally do not believe for a minute these shots just disappear from your body in a few days or weeks. Get your records to see the exact name of the drug you were given. You can research the strength you were given, 120 mg, to see if this would be considered a large dose. This will help you understand what is going on in your body. I feel for you. I am currently suffering myself from the side effects of a combo steroid injection, 1 mg decadron/dexamethasone, 80 mg methylprednisolone. My shot is considered a moderate dose (80 mg). 40 mg would have been considered mild (oh, how I wish I had gotten a mild dose, or better yet, NONE at all). After two months, I am still suffering from GERD symptoms. Acid reflux, sore throat, really kicked in after the shot. Antibiotics will not help acid reflux. Steroids are known for causing GERD and acid reflux in some people. I also developed facial swelling, redness and stinging skin (known side effects of some steroids) which have now cleared up. I have upcoming appointments for an endoscope and an endocrinologist. If I outlive this shot, I will NEVER, EVER have one again. I do realize some folks feel they are helped by steroids. I am not one of them. The shot added insult to injury in my case. I feel my doctor not only overprescribed too large of a dose for me, but in my case gave me a shot that I DID NOT NEED to get better. I hope you are feeling better today. Take care!

dobycat, that sounds like an intense situation and I am glad to hear that your daughter is at least feeling better, at least for the most part. I am glad that you posted on your experiences because I hadn't heard much about them up until this point. Thanks for all your information. I appreciate it!

I have been online looking for answers because the same thing happened to me this morning.  I have been having a terrible time with allergies and about every three months, the pills just don't work anymore and an allergy shot seems to do the trick.  I got an allergy shot - not sure exactly what it was, but pretty sure it was cortisone.  I heard the doctor ask the nurse if they had 125??? and she said yes.  The doctor also prescribed a medrol pack.  I was actually on my way to the pharmacy to get that filled when out of the clear blue sky, my heart just started racing and I felt like I might lose control of my vehicle.  I started shaking violently, and was just trying to find a place to pull off the road, hoping I wouldn't pass out.  It lasted a good minute. I stopped for a bit, then made my way home, but after an hour, I'm still shaky and my heart feels a little tight?  Not fun.  I took allegra-D, Nasonex and advair last evening to try to control my allergies, and I'm guessing it was all just too much.  Scared the sh** out of me, I can tell you.  The shots seem to be the only thing that will reign in my allergies when they get going full out, but maybe the dose was just too high.  Love to hear of similar stories. 

hello,i read almost all tje post and i had suffered the same, i was at ross when my effects happened , went to the hospital three times,ct mri ,blood normal,have to see a neurologist now and will be seeing the doctor who administered the last shot ,which seemed to be unlike the others;but my God is good and i prayed to Him,and told Him i will never take another shot. the menopausal hot flashes and boy it was scary..so i learned my lesson.appetitite isnt there just yet,however, i am drinking ensure drinks to get my nutrients from loss meals and know that my God will heal me and answer my prayers for no weapons formed against me will prosper, in Jesus Name ;even my own stupidity.i will never go that route again,just will stick to excedrin or advil for my back pain and a bit of ice with a thin towel and some warm heat as well. good luck to you all. glad to know i wasnt going crazy like the doctors were looking at me...lol good luck all,youre all in my Prayers.

I totally understand what you went through. Same exact thing happened to me last year in July 2010. It was the worst health experience of my life. After I got two shots my heart raced at 190 bpms, which would not stop on its own. I ended up in the ER. I had to get an IV with something in it to slow my heart rate down. I had a period for a month and hormonal issues for months. I couldn't exert myself without feeling like something was terribly wrong. I had a VT scan on my heart that came out normal, but Dr's tried to put my on a heart med to control my heart rhythm. I was always emotional etc. I ended up going to a holistic Dr, whom then told me exactly what was wrong with me. He said the portion shots shocked stressed or shocked my adrenals. He put me on supplements that strengthened out all my issues.

Hello, I was hoping you could tell me how long it took you to recover? I am having the same effects you did and it has almost been 6 months now!

what supplements were you put on that helped alleviate the side effects from the shots?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I was hoping I could be of some assistance, b/c I know the suffering from this stuff! I am 6.5 months removed from a steroid injection and a 5 day taper pack of medrol and just now begining to feel better! This has been such a horrible experience I can't believe it. At first I was diagnosed with steroid psychosis, but I had the heart racing from DAY 1 until now even. I knew it wasn't just anxiety...as I am now off the antidepressant they gave me, which did NOTHING for my heart rate. From what I understand it is a combination of the hypothalamus/pituitary/adrenal glands and everyone I kept hearing from kept saying it would take 9-12 months.....and I think they are corect because I can tell I am finally getting better. I still get some of the heart racing/pounding but nothing like before, and it gets better by the months. I also went to a homepathic Dr as well, which the mediciine they gave me did nothing for me either. What does seem to have helped and still helping is 3,000 MG Vitamin C a day, a good multi vitamin, and Adrenal Support that has raw adrenal extract in it. I also have drank nothing but water for many months now.....it's a loooooong process, and hopefully yours wont be anything like mine but I wanted to give you my story so you don't lose hope if it does last a long time. I found others online who kept helping me through this as well and telling me it would get better by 9 months or so and I got to the point I didn't beleive them, but they seem to be right. I hope this helps!

thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.......i will try the large doses of vit C and multi vitamin and look into the adrenal support with the raw extract......medications can help or cause so many problems!

Hello dobycat, I'm not sure how old your post was, but I really hope you find this reply and can answer it for me! I recieved a steroid injection 7.5 months ago, and let me tell you, I have gone through the same stuff as your daughter...I thought I was dieing! I think I am slowly getting better, but I still get the heart racing, etc... Lately though, it seems like it is orthostatic hypotension and I saw where you said your daughter got that too. I was really hoping you could tell me how long it was before she made a full recovery???????? Thank you so much for your time!!!!

Same thing happened to me at the beginning of Feb. I ended up in a fetal position on my bed after taking Medrol 6 day dose pack. My heart racing, crazy thoughts. I didn't know what day of the week it was. I wanted to jump out a window I was so messed up all I could think about where my daughter's. It now has been 2 months and still have the worst fear and anxiety ever. I never was fearful or had anxiety. My heart pounds my minds still messed up along with my hormones. My Dr put me on Prozac and xanax a week ago. Some symptoms are lessened but still horrible. I am so tired of this. I will never take this for my back again!! This has ruined my life! From fun and happy to fearful and sick all the time !!

cortisone shots can mess up your adrenals. Maybe try adrenal glandular. A good one I think is Adrenal Rebuilder