I had psoriasis breaking out and a dermatologist gave me a shot of cortisone, I have been on my menstral cycle three weeks now and it is not slowing down. I cant get the doctor to return my calls, I am wondering if this is normal?

Did you say that you have been experiencing menstrual bleeding for three weeks?

Menstrual cycle
is a period from the beginning of one until the beginning of the next period and it lasts for about thirty days (in some women may last less than that).

Cortisone as well as other corticosteroids have bad reputation since the period their effects have been found and recognized in the 40-es of the last century because people started using then excessively. It was a miracle drug then. However, after a long-term use they started experiencing negative side effects.

The story is different today as cortisone is given in smaller doses, supervised by doctors who prescribed them and don’t cause side effects so often.

However, if they do occur, they could cause menstrual irregularities as well as mood changes. Have you been experiencing any mood changes?

The most common side effect of cortisone shots may be loss of pigmentation at the site of the injection, which usually resolves in one-year time.

Tell me, have you been experiencing relief from psoriasis with this cortisone shot you got? Sometimes we need to outweigh negative versus positive effects and benefits.

I know that 3-weeks period is such a nuisance but psoriases outbreak is even worse, don’t you think?

Anyway, try to reach your doc again and report your side effects to him. S/he will know best what to do and how to act.

I had a coritsone shot in my shoulder during day four of my menstral cycle and I have been bleeding for 18 days ever since, with no end in sight. The doctor who injected me says he doesn't think it;s a side effect of the cortisone, and my gyn says the same thing. I have been clockwork regular 28 day cycle 4-5 day duration all of my life. I am sure it's related to the shot. I would like to hear from any one to tell me how long this stuff last in my system and when do I get my regular periods back?

I have had the same experience. After checking in with my GYN, I was told that my prolonged period could be due to the corisone injection I received a few days before the start of my period. As a matter of fact, she gave me possible reasons for my prolonged cycle and the moment she said cortisone/steriod, I told her I recently got a cortisone injection. I am undergoing other tests to rule out any other causes, but seeing this posting, I am convinced it is due to the cortisone injection.

I just wanted to add my experience because I think it supports the notion that there is a connection between cortisone injections and the hormones associated with menses or menstrual bleeding. I am at least five years into menopause and I injured my knee. I was given a cortisone injection and a day later I began to experience a very light yet quite distinct menstrual period. There was no pain. I also experienced facial flushing, which I read is also a side effect of cortisone injections. Is there a medical person who can substantiate or explain this?

I too had a shot in my lower back and have been experiencing mild menstrual bleeding. Let me say that I have never been regular and have had to take birthcontrol since I was 23 to even have a period. The past 4 years I have had an IUD with out a menstrual cycle,even though I take the birthcontrol too which is to help keep my hormones level. The doctor does not believe the shot has anything to do with me experiencing a period but I believe differently.

I just underwent a biopsy (negative) having started spotting after being 8 years post-menapause. Just 2 and a half weeks before the spotting started I had a cortisone shot (first time) for bursitis in my hip. My theory is that the shot induced the spotting. My gynecologist said he had never heard of that happening but that it would be "scientifically possible". Glad to hear that others have had similar experiences.

I had some kind of steroid injection in both wrists during my last menstrual cycle, and this cycle is definitely messed up. After having relatively regular periods all my life (27-30 day cycle, 3-5 days of bleeding), I've been bleeding for almost 3 weeks. I have NEVER experienced this kind of irregular bleeding before, and I don't have any other symptoms like pain, cramping, etc. I've had several friends remark that they've had similar reactions to steroid injections. One friend had a TOPICAL steroid applied by a doctor and started spotting shortly after!

This is very strange. I also have had regular periods all my life. This past month, I had a cortisone injection in my knee due to pain and inflammation there. A week later I started my period, and I've now been bleeding for 16 days straight. The current bleeding is not heavy, but it is constant. It just occurred to me that the prolonged period might be related to that cortisone shot.

I'm not sure what to do - continue to wait it out or see a doctor? I keep expecting the bleeding to stop (it's fairly light), but it continues day after day.

I am so glad to have found this thread. I thought I was going crazy until I read your experiences here. I too have been very regular all my life in terms of my menstrual cycle -- 28 days give or take a few days on either end, with a 6-7 day duration of bleeding.

I had a cortisone shot on July 17th due to swelling and pain in my knee. A week later I got my period as usual -- but the bleeding has now lasted 18 days with no sign of stopping! It is not heavy bleeding, but it is constant. I am convinced it is somehow connected to the cortisone. I have no idea what to do, but I am trying to get in to see the gyn.

Does anyone have any insight into what kind of treatment might "right" the cycle again? For those who've experienced this -- does the bleeding eventually stop on its own?

I am having the opposite problem and am worried! After receiving a series of 3 steroid injections, 2-3 weeks apart each time, I haven't had my period in 2 months! I feel like I'm in a constant state of PMS. It is worrying me - when will I get my period again? There is no chance I'm pregnant, and my periods had always been regular.

I too am experiencing a missed period since I received a cortisone shot. I have been on birth control for 8 years and have never skipped a period and have been so regular that I almost know exactly when I am going to start. My Doctor did not mention this at all and I can't find that on a list of side effects for the cortisone shot. I am very worried.

WOW you all have helped me today. I have been searching this internet since 5 am. today for answers. I too have experienced the exact same thing you ladies have. I have a history of fibroid and cyst etc. And recently a year ago was diagnosed with Gastritis. I also have unexplained weight loss, I am normally 130-135 5'8. I now weigh my H.S. weight of 117 and it has been over a yr that I have lost this weight unintentionally. age 36

OK June 08 period normal. But just recently, my last peroid (July 08) was like 12 days long and I have (never had one last that long) Alwys been a 25-28 dayer and knew when it was coming etc. And I thought okay maybe my firbroid is acting up but it did not 'feel' like that what it could be. Then I thought okay I'm having upper left pain too (well knew that wasn't OB-Gyn stuff-gastritis maybe)

So here it is this month August period started out the first 3 days spotting( looking like it does when it is in the last 2 days of the cycle -brownish) and then the basic peroid came for about 4 days. but I am normally flowing regularly red red red. This cycle is now into day 16! And I have been searching vigorously to find out what the heck is going on. Can't go back to mr OB until bill is pd so my own assessment of my body I knew it had to be something!

Well I lucked on this site and it made me remember this: in June I had large does of cortisone injected in my rt foot for an injury I sustained. And lo and behold I know this has to be it. you know what guys, I firmly believe yeah we trust the Dr's and their specialty etc.... but we are our own best advocates....if 1 or 2 people are saying something yeah okay coincidence maybe. but when 10 or more---oh somebody has to listen. And we have to listen to our bodies and assess the situation and be assertive with those who are providing care because think about.... they can only treat us based on the information we provide them.

So if you have a feeling about something especially regarding your body--don't let up pursue it... after all we only get ONE body. That's the only thing God gave us 1 of, so we only have one chance to get it right! Good Luck and keep being your own best advocate. You have made my day, keep sharing.

The folks who administer my shot (lower back) had told me to expect period which are worse than before.
Shot 1 ...okay
Shot 2....3 week period
Shot 3....I received this on day one of period. It went away, but now I have constant light period...Still waiting for the BIG WEEK to arrive.
So YES, it certainly is the shot causing your problems. I would steer clear of any physician who disagrees with that!

OMG Im so glad I found this web site I was begining to think Im crazy...Had cortizone shots in my elbows about 6 weeks ago...I have had almost constant period every since! maybe a few 4 day breaks in between. It is heavier than normal and now Im tired all the time. Trying to eat iron rich foods and take vitamins.....DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG THIS LASTS?? I dont know what good it would do to see a doctor for it.....how long do you have to bleed before its trouble?? SO>>>HOW LONG TILL BACK TO NORMAL???? Does anyone know??