Hello all,
I am new to the forums. Before I discuss what is going on right now, I will explain what my history is all about. I take Zoloft (sertraline) 100mg every day for panic/anxiety with some depression (since Dec 2001). I havent had any severe anxiety for about 2-3 years.

I, recently, have been having some problems with my wrist. Long story short, I just received two injections of cortisone (in my wrist and forearm) to relieve some of the pain and swelling in my wrist. This is the first time having a cortisone injection. That was on Monday (1/21/08). On Tuesday and Wednesday I noticed my heart was pounding harder than usual (while at rest) but didnt think anything of it. On Thursday at work my anxiety level was as high as it has been for 3-4 years. I had no idea where it had come from. I couldnt focus, couldnt calm myself down and my mind was racing. I was also having a very hard time catching my breath. I finally told my boss I wasnt feeling too well and that I would be going home for the day. On the way home I stopped by an Urgent care place and told them my situation. Once I had mentioned I was feeling faint and that I was short of breath they called the ambulance and sent me to the ER. I personally think it was a bit overboard since I was fairly certain I was on the verge of a panic attack and not a heart attack. Anyways, they did all the tests (Chest CT Scan, Chest XRay, blood, urine) and everything can back fine.
Last night (1/24/08) I had a very difficult time falling asleep because I was extremely anxious. (felt like my upper chest was plugged into a wall socket). As the day progressed today (1/25/08) at work I became more and more anxious.
This is coming from seemingly no where. I would really like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience from a cortisone injection, I would love to hear your story, maybe why it is happening and how long it takes to wear off.
I am gonna try to sleep tonight, Wish me luck
I will never get a cortisone injection again =(

I too just got my first shot of cortisone in my lumbar, it has helped somewhat still feel some of my sciatica. I too will not get another shot again. I feel like c**p and I know it was from the shot. I felt fuzzy afterwards and it is now Sat and I feel overwhelmingly fatigued too the point of sleep whenever I sit. I feel off balance and headache. I know all this was from the shot. I will NOT get this again and just called to cancel for my second shot. I hope that this won't last but i was reading up that this could be in the system for about a month,......my god!!! That is way too long...I have to have a life!! I feel better in the back but I am woozy, headache, extreme fatigue. I would never had done this if I knew these effects.

Sorry for the smily faces in the first post. Those were obviously not supposed to be there.
Anyways, today is 1/28/08 and I am feeling a bit better than I did the other day. I am having a heck of a time breathing,which is not good for my anxiety. I have never felt like this before so that is probably adding to the anxiety. It feels like someone is standing on my chest.

Seven months ago I had an injection. This is the second time and I am having the same reactions. My muslces got very week. I felt 'overwhelmed' at work (anxiety?). I can't sleep tonight (now past 1am). And I have a whopper headache. Nevertheless, in a day or two I hope to feel as good as I did the last time. Less or no joint pains (excruciating rotator cuff pain when raising hands in the air; knee joint pain; lower back pain) and more energy and a better mood.

I got a prescription for Bricanyl and Pulmicort. I got severe problems sleeping and also got panic attacks. Cortisone and anxiety seems to be a problem for some people. Also got problems from using nasal steroids like Nasonex.

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder a week ago and have had 3 panic attacks since. Right after I had my shot, I got a weird taste in my mouth. He said that the medicine must have got in my bloodstream and went into my stomach. I have reflux and it started coming up my throat. I figured I would be okay. About ten minutes later, I was leaving the office and started having a panic attack. My mouth / throat were going numb b/c of the numbing medicine in the shot. (I haven't had one this bad in 2 years) I had to miss the rest of work and didn't feel normal for about four hours. Since then, I have had three more panic attacks, which happened to be at work. I told me dr. 2 days after the shot that I really was not feeling well. He said it must have been "flare". I had a cortisone shot 4 months ago and it felt nothing like this. My shoulder still hurts, I feel like I can't breathe well, and I am kindof dizzy. I will not get another cortisone shot.

I had two cordisone shots for trigger finger . A week later I had blood clots at the end of four fingers, It took a month to go away, Now my hand gets very cold and aches all the time. Don't know what to do about it. any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Pat

Yes, I too, have had several cortisone shots over the past two years. I have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and I have extreme pain in both feet, both knees, both hips and both hands. I am unable to walk without a cane and require help dressing and bathing. I take heavy narcotics around the clock for pain. However, the pain is so great in my feet and hips that I must receive shots directly into the joint for relief. After the shots, I literally bounce off the walls for one to two weeks! I cannot help myself! I cannot sleep and I'm such a b***h to everyone! I know what the issue is, but again, I cannot help myself. The best thing that I have found to help elevate the anxiety is a prescription drug called Clonazepam Tab .5mg that my doctor prescribes for me to take in times of duress! I literally feel as if I'm going to jump out of my sick before I take this medicine. After taking it, I slower calm down and return to reality so that I may function normally! Please, if you're experiencing these issues, as I am, go to your doctor and ask him for this medicine. I'm sure he'll comply. Additionally, it's not very expensive at the Pharmacy. Good luck and God bless all! XD
Paulette from Georgia

I got cortisone injections in both shoulders yesterday afternoon. Less than 8 hours later my right shoulder, arm, and hand was in excruciating pain. Nothing helped alleviate the pain. I lay awake all night and the pain is still in the shoulder and arm. The ortho doc says it's "cortisone flare" which apparently causes extreme pain but is documented as those patients experiencing this get better results long term. We'll see. I literally wanted to cut my arm off last night...it was that painful. The left shoulder and arm is fine. The shots were for bursitis and tendinitis in both shoulders for the past 7 months. Btw...the doc's nurse called this "hitting the spot". I guess the cortisone can crystallize and causes immense pain. Hopefully the long term results are beneficial. I was a volleyball and softball player if you're wondering how I got these injuries.

I was just released from the hospital yesterday, now the proud owner of a filter/screen in my vein entering the heart from the legs. My cardiologist put me in the hospital after an ultrasound detected deep vein thrombosis in my right thigh. The baffling aspect is that I should NOT be susceptible to clots since I'm on Coumidin in response to an atrial fib bout two years ago!

three weeks after a cortisone injection in the middle toe joints of my right foot, pain and swelling developed at and around the injection site.The swelling spread across my foot and began to creep up my leg. Checking on the swelling led to the discovery of the clot.

While a cross-country airplane trip took place between the injection and the clot, the soreness at the injection site makes me believe cortisone was a factor and could continue to be a problem.

I am looking for others with similar experience. My Doctors remain puzzled.

CMcB

I got a cortisone shot last month for sinusitis. Within three days I had developed phlebitis in my leg. I couldn't walk for 3 weeks and I am still not fully recovered. My doc could not figure out why I had developed phlebitis becuase I did not have an underlying injury and I had not taken any long trips. I am convinced it was from the cortisine shot.
kkelly

I'm freaking out cause I have to go tomorrow for my first shot of 3 for my back, they rarely help for more than a couple of months and I experience EXTREME ANXIETY FOR WEEKS after havin gthese shots. I also display obsessive compulsive behaviors and short temper . Last time I had these shots I would eat like crazy , abused my pain meds , which I had never done before in 7 years of use and was short temptere .. I just went crazy.

I've been doing a lot of research on the effects of cortisone shots recently because my daughter who has had lyme disease had one in her shoulder and it caused a lyme flare.

Apparently steroids should never be given to someone with lyme or any other bacterial infection.

If you are having a bad reaction to a cortisone shot it might be a good idea to get tested for lyme.

i got a cortisone shot last week and the same day at night i got numb in my face and all over my body, and i started having panic attacks along with heavy breathing. i am never having another cortisone shot again no matter what.

Hey wolfbanez, I just saw your reply (I am the original poster, I just didn't log in).

Anyways, I am sorry to hear about your panic/anxiety reactions. To be honest with you, I felt the exact same way after having the reaction to the first corisone injection. About 6 months after my initial injection I was seeing a different doctor (this one was at University of Chicago - Medical Center, instead of Rush Medical Center) and I, relunctantly, allowed him to inject more cortisone into my wrist. I was still having problems with the wrist and I would do ANYTHING to make it feel better. He mentioned to me that sometimes doctors will inject wayyy too much cortisone causing a 'flare up'. This guy (at UC-Medical) was an amazing doctor. He was the one that finally resolved all my problems with my arm/wrist. I ended up having several cortisone injections done by him (over several months).
My recommendation, ask the doctor who injected your corisone to tell you what measurement of cortisone he injected you with. After he/she tells you this, go online and see what the average dosage is (when given to patients with your condition). Also, the cortisone injection is always combined with a local anesthetic (novicaine, etc) to numb the area in the beginning.