Recently my 91 year old dad had two shots of cortisone, one in each knee. He has developed kidney failure. Now I believe this condition was happening for a while but relatives are trying to tell me that I should look into the possibility that to much cortisone may have shocked his kidneys into failure. If I understand correctly kidney failure is a gradually process not something that happens over night. Any thoughts?

Hello. I just came across your post about your dad developing kidney disease after a cortisone injection.  How is he doing? My father is 76.  He also developed kidney disease almost immediately after a cortisone injection. He's been on dialysis ever since the onset

I know this is an older post, but 2 months ago I had 2 cortisone shots and had borderline kidney disease. Now I am almost a stage 4 - 60 days later. My kidney doctor is watching the situation and I am hoping the kidneys are able to recover, but I need them working in order to help rid my system of the steroids but if the steroids have damaged the kidneys, that may not happen. I had several other side effects, as well, but other doctors a reluctant to point fingers. Nobody wants to talk about side effects to the injections.

Yes I am a 53y/o white male cortisone injection in my knees over a year shut my kidneys down. Complete kidney failure !!!!!

Very, very sorry for your troubles. TY for sharing. I have polycystic kidney disease and the insurance company wants me to take steroid shots in my shoulder (instead of having more costly surgery). I THINK NOT!

I'm 83 years old my kidney failure started 9 years ago I am now on dialysis for the past two months
had cortisone shots maybe 3 times in my life......there is no sign of kidney problems on either side of my family.....my doctor is stumped trying to find out how i ended up with this problem.......I thought maybe from the combat service in Korea it's so hard tracking this down.

I was biten by a wasp, I went to the only doctor I had a Dermatologist, and he inject cortisone shots inside the wound, four days later Im in the ER and I was told both my kidneys had failed and I would have to go on dialysis immediately.

how old are you? anything else is in your health profile? what is the followup?

i'm interested to hear the updates from others, but after looking at this and plenty of pet owners who experienced the same with cortisone treatment, i'm holding the cortisone shots suspect in the sudden seizures and kidney failure that lead to death of my family member four days after the 2nd of 2 cortisone shots without any warnings to closely monitor blood potassium or even blood pressure as vets now recommend! i'm surprised that its not easy to find too many more people logging this phenomenon.

These are steroids and steroids harm the kidneys, period!!

cortisone deteriorates cartridge and cause damaged to kigneys

get with a Naturopath and detoxify of the steroid

Let's get the kidneys healed and the best way to do that is to become alkaline. Reduce animal protein and eat grasses, green foods, cornsilks, lemon, and parsley. Eat real food!!!

I have developed kidney disease after being on ibuprofen for over 20yrs. It took 3 trips of being admitted before they discovered I had kidney disease. I have also had epidural cortisone injections for yrs. I just went through another round I had my kidney function test done and it just came back as my kidney function was worse. My Dr's never said the cortisone injections would hurt me. Then again they never bothered to check my kidney function knowing I had been on ibuprofen for over 20yrs. It was more than one Dr that missed this. I have had to get 3 cortisone injections during a yr for the last few yrs just to be able to keep moving. I'm only 49yrs old and will be a quadriplegic soon. I had to have all my lumbar discs replaced with titanium springs cages and screws after that surgery I had a widow maker heart attack. There is too much damage to my heart for them to go back in and get the blown out discs in my neck. I've already had neck surgery and went with the cadaver bone, plate and 4 screws. Now the discs above and below that one are blown with multiple bone spurs and cysts at both levels. They just did an emg was supposed to be on both arms they did the worst one first. They said I have severe neuropathy and didn't do my other hand and arm cuz they said there would be no way to tell where it was coming from. I'm to the point where I don't know what to do. They can't do my neck surgery cuz I won't make it off the table cuz of the damage to my heart. At just turning 49yrs old it's a very bleak future wondering what will fail next. Not knowing what these Dr's are doing to me is causing me more problems than they are fixing.

What does your cat have to do with a human being losing a kidney?