I have never had high blood pressure and 2 days ago i recieved a cortisone injection in my shoulder. Now my blood pressure is reading 148/89. Could this be a side effect from the injection?

I had cortisone shot in my knee 4 days ago. Immediately felt weird and shaky inside I had to wait in the surgery untill I felt better to go home. That night I experienced High blood presuure 195/ 92 and palpitations. Following day blood pressure up and down but not as high as before. This is now the 4th day and I still feel odd , tired and my heart races and thumps in my chest. Pain in my knee was almost gone the following day after injection.
I have never had these symptoms before. ?

How can they say its not connected to the cortisone ? 8-|

I had four cortisone shots in my back and one in my hip. The following week I had one in my ankle. My blood pressure went up to about 192/112. I went to family practioner and he confirmed that it is due to the cortisone shots. He gave me a prescrition for Catapress 0.1 mg. I recieved the generic-Clonidine 0.1 mg tablets. He told me to take one table if my blood pressure went above 160 systolic and 90 diastolic. I bought an automatic blood pressure cuff at Wal-Mart and monitered my blood pressure. The pills did the trick! I took one pill after seeing my doctor. The pills last for 6 hours. The next morning I took one pill and did not need any more for the rest of the day. Now today I have not need any :-) Hope that this will help someone.

Yes it did, thank you. I am on blood pressure medication, but my blood pressure is under control. Went to the bone Dr. for knee pain due to arthritis and two meniscus tears. He gave me a cortisone shot and started to feel bad. Took my blood pressure and it was 140/85, which is not my normal. I took half a pill of Enalapril, and waited a half an hour. Took my pressure again, 120/75. I was happy it went down, but concerned I had to up the dose. This explains it. Very helpful, I wonder why doctors do not warn.

Jeff Andrew

So glad I found this site. I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder 3 weeks ago. After a couple of days I started getting migraines and dizziness, palpatations and a feeling of immense pressure in my head. Felt like I was going to pass out frequently.

The symptons were on and off but I finally went to the doctors one week ago. My blood pressure was taken (on my request as I said I felt that it was really high) and it read 220 over 100. I was told to get a blood test and given some beta blockers which have thankfully brought my bp down and alleviated the symptons.

I told the dr about this website and that I believed it was due to the injection and she said she had never heard of it before. Why do they poo poo the idea?? I firmly believe this is linked to the injection.

I am hoping the blood tests show nothing and my bp will return to normal soon (and the beta blockers don't take it down too low as it returns to normal) I have borrowed a monitor to keep it checked out.

How can these side effects be brought to doctors and the publics' attention? Does anyone know?

Shoulder's no better either so never again!!! :-(

My best wishes to everyone who has suffered and felt compelled to post on this website.

i had a cortisone shot 4 hours ago in my elbow and i know my blood pressure went through the roof about 2 hours later. you know it when your blood pressure is up. if you think about it.. cortisol is a reaction to stress produced in your body by the adrenal gland...so it makes since your blood pressure would also go up...why they dont warn you is debatable....they really should....besides that my hand swelled up....its supposed to take that away...that might be from the injection itself....i guess if they warned ppl one of there fix it tools would not be as available as an option....less money in the pocket.

I had one in my shoulder a few years ago. My doctor sent me to the ER for the diagnosis and treatment. It was a double purpose shot. There was a pain killer for them to diagnose the pain was coming from the area they did it to and the cortisone to do the real work. I don't know if my blood pressure spiked or not but I find it hard to believe they would take a chance on that happening without taking some precautions. I have had a heart attack and 6x bypass surgery and am on BP medication.

The pain was so bad I wasn't able to sleep before I went in to see them.

I was a little POd they didn't mention that the pain from the shot would be ten times worse than the original pain after the pain killer wore off. About 6 hours after I went home I was in the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. It lasted several hours and was much better the next day. When I told my doctor's receptionist about it the next time I was in, she smiled knowingly and agreed with me about them not telling people that would happen. That was about 4 years ago and my shoulder is still as good as new.

I went back to a different doctor yesterday for the results of the blood test and because since writing my last post my bp has been all over the place and I have been having migraines and dizziness etc still. Saw a good doctor this time and blood test OK!!! When I said I thought it was linked to the cortisone shot he immediately said yes! I could have kissed him! He's given me some ACE inhibitors now so hopefully they will sort me out. He said never have another one!!
I just hope my bp goes back to normal when the drug wears off. Fingers crossed.

I was fine (apart from the tendonitis, which is still no better) before I had that damned injection! >;)

I had a cortisone shot Wednesday around 4:30pm to my L3/L4 left nerve, was numbed up really good for it, didn't feel the injection but by 10:30pm the annestetic had worn off and pain was crampy, by 3am, the pain had become quite bad and was spasming all way thru all of back and down legs. I was hot and flushed. Could not sleep, had already been experiencing reduced sleep prior to injection and had only had 1/2hr of sleep in 2 days. Had to be at an appointment later that afternoon for another Dr. That office took my blood pressure 3x and discovered instead of my normal 114/85 it was at 130/50 and noted I was getting double heart beats (couplettes) and the red flush to my face had a blueish tone to it. Was advised that they beleived that the cortisone shot which can cause an increase in pain for 72hrs after injection had increased my pain level so much that between it and lack of sleep it was affecting my blood pressure. I was advised to call the office that did the injection and get a good pain medication to take post-procedure. Since due to previous surgery last year, I am not absorbing normal pills (they can't break down fast enough to be absorbed before its taken out of my system) It was determined that a liquid lortab elixer was the best choice would be absorbed fast and let me possibly sleep. The first tablespoon of it reduced my flush and brought my blood pressure down, but took extra 1/2 tablespoon and it finally allowed me to sleep the longest I have in several weeks. 6hrs of sleep. Next day I woke up feeling better and pain didn't return till mid afternoon. I took another 1/2 tablespoon, helped, didn't have to take anything else till I realized that it had worn off around 5pm, I waited till 7pm before taking a full dose and only slept 2 hrs, after that pain level was ok but still needed to sleep so took another full dose around 2am but have yet to sleep. Hoping the effect of the meds are not becoming ineffective because I am back to having a flushed hot face again and feeling the couplette heartbeats again. Pain level this time is not as severe so I am a little concerned.

I got my first cortizone shot.I asked the dr if there were any side effects and if my arm would hurt bc I had a sleep test the next day.He tells me no worries it will be fine. I am very upset with him bc I woke up with terrible pain in my arm and nausea from the pain.I was up all night and my face was flushed for days.I now have high blood pressure,my normal is 110/70 and it keeps climbing.I am Now 160/92.I have never had high pressure until this shot.I have a headache and palpitations and feel anxious.I would never have had this shot if my doctor told me the warnings like I asked.People please be careful about taking this shot unless you are in so much pain that you really have to.I am going to see my doctor about lowering the pressure that I never had a problem with before

I forgot that the next morning my face felt like it was on fire and it was flushed.It looked like I had a sunburn.It lasted 3 days which I now find out is another side effect

I got a cortisone shot yesterday at 4 pm in my knee for bursitus, at 12 pm I awoke from a sound sleep with my heart pounding. I took my BP and it was 200/100 and my pulse was 131 and pounding. I took my BP medication which I would have taked at 8 AM. BP and pulse took hours to get down to 140/80, did not sleep much. Feel much better now at 11 AM. Don't think I'll get another shot again. Want to talk to doctors and get their opinions.

I was diagnosed with Pnuemonia and given a steroid shot along with antibiotics and advair inhaler. Never had a steriod shot before, but about half hour after the shot, my bp shot up to 164/99, and my resting heart rate was 104. Taken antibiotics before, and an inhaler when they first told me I only had bronchitis. Blood pressure and heart rate was never this bad before getting the steriod shot. Never again.

I too have experienced thumping in my chest and higher than normal blood pressure readings after a cortisone shot in my neck. Although I specifically asked about possible side-effects to be alert for, neither was mentioned. It is now 6 days later, the hard heart pumping seems to have resolved itself, and my blood pressure has come down some, but not all the way back to normal.

On blood pressure medication, bp 128/68 normal, had cortisone shot in knee. Within two hours BP was 159/90, pulse 90. This lasted 12 hours, face felt flushed, after the 12 hours bp and pulse returned to normal. Dr should advise all patients of side effects.