Since I have been fighting with osteoarthritis for a long time, I have used several different medications, starting with non steroidal anti inflammatory meds. My doctor recommended me to use cortisone injections. I have to say that with the first shot I have felt pain going away, but since my health insurance does not cover for it, I would like to know how much do cortisone injections cost?

Cortisone injections are given directly into the joints. So, the effect is for local area only, and it could be felt almost immediately. It lasts for a longer period of time (several weeks or even months). That is why they are given only several times in a year. I am not sure how much the injection cost, but the pills cost around 65$ (100 pills) and I guess that injections area round that price too.

The cost of cortisone injections can be very costly depending on the procedure needed. I have recently received neck injections under X-ray, using an anesthesiologist and another MD. I was told the insurance claim filed would be in excess of $5500 (the excess being the supplies and mediations administered in the procedure room).

i just had a cortisone injection in my left knee. It cost me $300 cash at an orthopedic doctor in mid-western Ohio. Hope that helps. I also declines x-rays to save cost. They really worked with me.

I just had an elbow injection in kansas city by my md...the cost with office visit was $249 less 20% because I paid in full at time of treatment

I just had four shots into my lower back and I paid $500. However, my insurance had to pay $26,400, which is absurd!

I went to the ortho dr and he told me off the cuff the shot is cheap about 40 bucks and when I got the desk to pay it was 300.00 :cry: I freaked I dont have Dr office visits covered or shots pretty much cheap coverage, but I told her hey wait, the dr told me 40.00 so she looked again and said, Oh Ok 260.00, I told her look thats still too much, mind you I have never had to do this before I have had great coverage for 53 years but with my job loss I didnt have but cheap 200.00 a month coverage, she checked with the Dr he says is what it is and said to her give her the cash price less 25% so thankful.. I am getting some other shot that lubed your knee joint it costs 600-800 but the cash price would be 505.00 she told me costing me heaps.. gotta do it.. I have bone on bone on my right knee. I used to be a meat cutter for 24 years this heavy lifting was not good for my knees.. hope this helps.

Just had a cortisone injection in my elbow that was performed by my family doctor and it cost $250. A friend just had the uterus cut out of his cat and with anesthesia and pain meds, he paid $90. Doesn't that seem fair?

I just had 2 cortisone shots in my knees and am being charges $1800 by a hospital even though it was in a doctors office and not in the hospital

i got a injecshun and it only cost 15$ but i got ilegaly

Just got the shot in my shoulder. Office visit, $200, the shot was called surgury and it was $170 for a 30 second shot.

What a rip!!!!!

Health care, we all need it, they know it, now it is so expensive even a government can't afford it.

I am getting 3 shots 2marrow and they are $50 each. Im in Ca Hope this helps..

Where are you located? Im in San Diego county....???

Thx

Today is 9/29/2010. Just came from a Orthopedic Specialist. Office consultation 140.00. 2 x-rays $186.00 each
corti shot in the left knee, $249.00 total $76l.00 Never had one before. Feels better. Shot didn't hurt. They sprayed frozed liquid on it as he was delivering the shot. Oh, self pay. new port richey, florida

It seems that medical providers can charge cortisone injections as outpatient surgery, at least mine does. My insurance covers injections, but because the cortisone shot is billed as a surgical procedure, I'm stuck with my outpatient surgery co-pay. I appealed to my insurance, but they told me the AMA considers cortisone injections as surgery. So I tried to contact the AMA to verify, but can't find a phone number for info. The phone numbers on the website are all automated, with no chance of talking to a real person. If anyone else has any info, please let me know. I ended up e-mailing the billing director at my provider, and they ate the co-pay. This happened 3x already, and now I think another finger is starting to lock up. I think this is discrimination, because older people tend to need these injections. To make it sound like surgery, and get billed for operating room services, is outrageous. But good luck trying to get to the bottom of this. I had cortison shots 5 yrs. ago, got copies of the older bills, and they were NOT charged as outpatient surgery. Something is terribly wrong here.