The reason it seems everyone is trying to discontinue their Cymbalta on their own, is because they are. Oh sure, tell your prescribing doctor that you want to ween off and they either drop it down 30 mgs to which you have the same terrible without as you would stopping it completely. You tell your doctor of the withdrawal symptoms and they don't believe its as severe as you tell them. The company Eli Lily doesn't inform the doctor about the horrible discontination syndrome that patients have to go through to get off of it. I was seriously suicidal and in doing research so have many other patients, some have succeeded. CYMBALTA IS EVIL, you gain weight, you lose your hair, you have sexual side effects, it causes glaucoma, it causes liver damage, it causes damage to your brain receptors that may or may not repair themselves, so you'll have trouble ever feeling joy on your own. And they still don't know what the LONG TERM side effects are because it hasn't been on the market long enough. Then when you try to WEEN down or Stop it cause psychosis, brain zaps that may never go away, suicidal thoughts, crying uncontrollably one minute and anger the next. I know someone that went off and was in the hospital in intensive care for 5 days, because he was going crazy, not making since, violent, screaming and crying...until they gave him cymbalta. Now he's on cymbalta and will never try to go off it for the rest of his life. You want something that causes all this in YOUR body. I unfortunatly can't get off Cymbalta either. If I even miss a dose I start feeling withdrawal in approximately 10 hours. And the withdrawal can go on for weeks, months, or indefinitely. I'm begging anyone out there thinking of starting Cymbalta to please reconsider. The bad out weighs any good you may think it's doing. Do some research on Traci Johnson 19yr old that committed suicide in the restroom at Eli Lily's lab during the clinical trial she was participating in for Cymbalta. She had no depression prior to starting Cymbalta, but hung herself 8 days into the clinical trial. PLEASE DON'T START CYMBALTA....your doctors don't know any of this unless you urge them to research it. We've got to stop the doctors from prescribing this medication for their future patients. Eli Lily is getting rich off the fact that once started no one can stop. The above information is from either personal experience, The FDA, newsreports, researchers, the internet, or physicians. NONE is straight from Eli Lily. And by the way EVKCARD you either work for Eli Lily, or are a drug rep or you just haven't had problems YET. BUT YOU WILL. I was on 30mg of it for 2 yrs and didn't have but a few side effects, then they raised it to 60mg. It took 4 months to start feeling the severe disabiling side effects. And why would anyone abuse their Cymbalta? Its not a narcotic nor does it give you any kind of high, that is ridiculous. Why don't you come back and tell us how you're feeling when you try to ween down from it, or your insurance is cancelled and you have to pay out of pocket and of course they are expensive. Why don't you ask your prescribing physician about it, since you think they have all the answers, do you think they research every thing that is prescribed? I have worked for physicans as a medical assistant all my life and I know why they prescribe certain meds. You think its for the patients benefit? HAHAHAHA The reps come in wine them and dine them and give them all kinds of things of extra kickbacks to prescribe their drugs. I know this was true for every single doctors office I worked for. And I have worked for numberous physicans offices for 28 yrs. I'm telling you the truth. Don't praise a medication when you have no idea what it's going to do to you. I pray you wise up and try to get off that medication and switch to something else that's not a long acting SNRI life cymbalta is. I'm sorry if I seem angry but if one person reads your post and that's what persuades them to start cymbalta, then you are responisble for ruining that persons quality of life. I do hope that you are the ONE person I've ever read about that actually has no problems with the meds either taking or stopping them. Good luck to you.

My doctor prescribed me cymbalta after telling him that I thought I have fybromyalgia. Ive taken a
30mg twice. I got terrible side effects from it but at first I just thought I was ill. Yesterday my boss sent me home worried that I was going to pass out and today's effects were much worse than yesterday's thats when I realised it was the medication. My mum asked me what I was on and was Gerry mad when she found out as she.had been on it previously. She just told me.to stop taking it and that it's bad. But now I've read about people trying to come off it and im.scared. I wint suffer from withdrawal after only taking it twice will I? I dont want to have to stay on it for life. Im only 19.

youre correct. i tried to get off cymbalta for 6 months. it nearly killed me, but then after i was on it for the 2 years, and the end result of nearly dying TAKING it, i am struggling thru the detoxing its awful, i imagine there will be many many lawsuits in the NEAR future,
my journey took me to the cleveland clinic to even remotely see what the heck was going on with me.....during the enrollment process when i gave them my medlist, and she noticed the cymbalta, she told the nurse to get Dr Cooper cause " we got another one"
im toughing it, im sorry if someone else cant cause its a slow death you are quite aware of..

This is my third day going cold turkey on Cymbalta 120mg daily - 0 mgs daily , I am a returned soldier suffering PTSD ,Alcoholism, Depression , I have only found this forum a few minutes ago and felt compelled to say how strong you guys/girls are in taking the leap and getting of this stuff Cymbalta, I only wish I could contribute more however the withdraws are so overwhelming I am with all hope nearly lost of being able to get through , as i type all the known side affect that you guys mentioned are rushing me contiously wave after wave , emotion spin after spin, a bombardment of this sudden and swift zapping sensation with every eye head movement i make, the sound that is clear and distinct is that of the shutter of the old fashion camera " Clicking" with that awful zapping sicking sensation that is currently erupting with in my head that is triggered by the most smallest of movement made by my body and even slight adjustment made by the eyes looking from the screen to the key board, now I am breaking out into a sweat and the feeling of nausea is quickly pursuing, I may have over done my work load for now on this forum for this morning...

Please if one can offer advice to help alleviate some suffering without the use of Alcohol or other drugs ..I would be Gracious for your help...

Kind Regards

Michael B

Australia

How are you doing now without the Cymbalta? Its almost been 2 months, are you still having the mentioned side effects? As for the PTSD find a therapist that will work with you using Cognitive processing therapy. I believe it can help you. The CPT is 12 sessions and has been proven to be very effective. Check with your VA to find out where you can find it. Or contact Walter Reed in MD. I do hoie you are better. keep me posted

I am still having side affects, went to the doctor to find out what could be the reason after 2 month, he noted that many patients suffer side affects from Cymbalta withdraw even after tapering of under doctor supervision and all i can do is to keep checking up with him on a fortnightly basis is what he informed me to do..I really have no idea if Cymbalta has permanently altered my brain chemistry... I will be looking into the CPT sessions you mentioned.. Thank you VicHam for your cordiality.. Kind Regards Michael B

My zaps lasted two months. Then I started taking supplements daily for my emotional health and it seems to be helping. First thing in morning with no food: Selenium, L-Tyrosine & Kelp for thyroid and adrenal support. This has really helped that fight or flight, all or nothing state of mind to stay away. Then with breakfast: fish oil with high EPA, low dose b complex (reg dose make me anxious), vitamin e, vitamin d3, rose hips (vitamin C) and evening prim rose oil. At night I take calcium, magnesium, potassium and zinc/copper. Everything I take is in the smallest dose or less. Also, I found that my brain zaps and other symptoms were more severe after eating sugar foods. I have not wanted to self medicate with alcohol in over a month so I think it is helping.

Gee I hope this helps u guys Read elsewhere to ask ur doc if putting u on another ssri or snri for the duration of u coming off cymbalta will help alleviate the withdrawals. Makes sense and currently Im on cymbalta and valdoxen (I want off cymbalta) with the aim to stop and just use the valdoxen I hope! So taking 2 AD's like cymbalta and another is possible - and it may lessen the severity at least of the emotional rollercoasters. I really admire ur strength especially you Michael B Im in Sydney and cymbalta helped me and what ur describing scares me sh*tless lol Stay strong and dont give up and if ur doctor seems to have given up or is giving u sh*t go to someone else. Ill be thinking of u guys xx

I am an RN of 23 years and totally agree with you. After I was started for RA pain by my NP, several long time docs said to get off and do not take this drug, as it is very BAD. They are good doc and I trust them totally. I have had the diarrhea , fluttering in the ears, insomnia and was feeling really bad when on it. I am afraid this will turn out to be a drug that terrible things will come to light on down the line. Stay off , if you are not on it and try to get off if you are on it already.This is the worst drug I have ever taken. I have never suffered many side effects from what drugs I did take, but this one was so different. BAD side effects and it is a horrible drug! Thanks for your input . I really appreciated the knowledge that these side effects were not me alone!!

The main reason withdrawal from Cymbalta is so bad is that it's a short acting SNRI. Effexor also has this problem. Doctors should be de-titrating patients by titrating with a long lasting SSRI (Prozac). You take them both at the same time, how depends on what you dosage of Cymbalta is. You should NEVER quit cold turkey and a doctor that simply tells you to cut you dose in half for 2 weeks then stop al together is an id**t. Also, a Dr. that doesn't believe your withdrawal effects should not be seeing patients. I suggest anyone having issues find a highly qualified psychiatrist who is experienced in de-titrating patients off of psychotropic drugs. Hope this is helpful.

Omg!!! Its not just me! Well ive been on this evil medication for 4 years now and can not seem to get off it. Its terrible and i 100% agree wid everythin u have said.

I am more suicidal on cymbalta that what i was before i started it. My hair falls out in clumps. My memory is very poor. I cant concentrate for long. I tried to weane myself off it and found it so so hard. I was put straight on the 60mg... 3 years later i dropped to 30mg against docs orders and for the last year ive tried to completely get off it but i get really anxious and paranoid and get the shakes, bad migraines.. the brain zaps u mentioned. I now have glaucoma and suffer these migraines bout 3/4 times a week.

You absolutely should not go cold turkey off cymbalta or any Ssri or ssnri. That's extremely just plain stupid. Who ever told you that was a good idea? It's dangerous. It's unscientific. It makes no sense. You wouldn't do it with prednisone or heart medication, why the hell would you do it with an SSRI.