Hello. About five years ago, when my wife died, I started to suffer from depression. I wasn’t taking any medication over then a year but then I have contacted my psychiatrist and he prescribed me some drug called Efexor. I have used it over then four years and it helped me a lot but about three months ago my symptoms were back and so I have contacted my doctor again. He said that my body probably got used on this drug so he recommended me drug change.
He has mentioned some drug called Cymbalta and I was wondering did has anyone tried it?

I have started using this drug about a month ago but before this I did some research on my own and listen what I have found out.
There are many rumors about this drug so I had to check them out. Like you probably know- Cymbalta is a new antidepressant manufactured by Eli Lilly Company. There are many types of antidepressants and this one is in a class known as dual uptake inhibitors. This means that it affects the passing of some neurotransmitters such as serotonin and norepinephrine though the nerves.
Problem is that some aspects of Cymbalta effects are still not proven. The effectiveness of Cymbalta in long-term use for major depressive disorder has not been systematically evaluated in controlled trials but I'm ready to take some risks if I want to cure my self. Good luck!

I have tried cymbalta. Be careful of this drug, I took it about 4 months. I am going through withdrawals now. Medication did not help, made my depression worse. It also made me very sleepy. Price is very high

I am more than a month into withdrawls from Cymbalta. While it helped in the short term I don't think its effects lasted after a couple of months. The withdrawals are BRUTAL. Be sure to do some careful consideration and research before going on this drug.

i havebeen on Cymbalta for 6 mo.s i take it along with methedone for cronic pain for R/A i would like to get off of methadone as i have gained alot of weight and dieting does no good. The Cymbalta works better if you take ie 1hr. before bedtime, it helps me rest better no side effects so far.i am trying to find info about Suboxone as all i want to do is sleep on the meth. it helps with pain but i can not stand feeling like a zoombie .Itake 40mg.s every 6 hrs. tryed to cut down and the pain gets unbearable, Please send me any info that may help me. Thank You D

I was given Cymbalta for pain related to a nerve injury. While it got rid of the pain overnight, it made me feel like I'd consumed several cups of coffee, keeping me up most of the night, and then I crashed in the afternoon. It also affected my driving because 2-3 times in one day, I drifted to the right and could have had an accident if I hadn't caught myself. I felt hyper though I don't think I acted that way. I had trouble concentrating and made silly mistakes. I don't think the pain relief is worth all the risks as my pain is not excrutiating and I must drive and work and take care of my child. I am concerned about the fact that you can't go off it without an extended withdrawal period.

I do not know what all the fuss is about. I have been on it for two months and I take 60 mg of cymbalta along with 150 mg of wellbutrin and it really seems to help. I have miagraines daily so I also take a 150 mg of topamax. My husband is deployed, I have two small boys, who cry for daddy every night, no family help, needless to say, I could be sooo much worse, but the medicine really seems to help with no side effects. I take it in the mornings. Now, I have a friend who takes the effexor 300mg with 100 mg of wellbutrin and he says that really helps him, but that is a alot of effexor. Anyway, do what you feel will help you, most of all, PRAY TO GOD, HE IS YOUR TRUE ANSWER AND YOUR SAVIOR.

Please...do yourself a favor....Say NO to your Doctor!!!!...My experience has been GOD AWFUL! This is a new Drug...rushed through FDA approval....(Drug Companies...Eli Lilly, Merck, Abbott ect.......) care only about quick profits.......long term effects are of little concern to drug companies. I know from experience.....I work for one! I wish I would have said NO!!!

My 19 yr. old son tried Cymbalta for depression, it was the worst month and a half of his life! He said it really messed with his head, his temper was uncontrollable, I kept telling him to stay on it, give it some time to start working, I found out after he quit that he had cried everyday for the last week he was on the pills(he's not a crier). I told my pharmacist, he said he hasn't seen it help very many people. I have to say after seeing what my son went through I would strongly recommend AGAINST this drug!!

hi, thankyou for your post my husband has just started and the vomiting and the sweating is terrible. How long do drs normally make you stay on this drug?

OMG! I hate this drug! I took it for the first time last night. I specifically asked the doc if it would interfere with my sleep patterns and she assured me it would not. Took 1 30mg pill last night and lay in bed all night not one bit of sleep - how is that supposed to help my depression???? About 4 hours later and I'm sweating, shivering, nuaseous, belching like a trooper, got the jaw shudders something shocking. I know what this feels like.... I had exactly the same reaction to Efexor - felt like I'd popped an 'E' but without the euphoria.
And now I'm reading that there are withdrawal issues too???? THIS DRUG IS BASICALLY REBRANDED EFFEXOR!!!!! STAY AWAY!!!!