Hi all. I’ve been on advair steroids for few weeks. One of my friends told me that it can slow or even stop weight loss, so I decided to try them out… But, so far, all I experienced was headache, cough and dry mouth…. So, my question is – am I doing something wrong??? Was my friend right or not??? Please help.

As far as I know advair steroids are not used for the purpose you’ve described. I don’t think that it can slow down nor stop weight loss. Moreover, like many other similar meds, it has a long list of side effects – those you’ve mentioned are only few of those. I don’t think that you should take meds on your own, without consulting your doc first. Doing so can even give you more harm then good.

I'm also taking the advair sterioid in addition to prednisone. The steroids make weight loss extremely difficult. As a matter of fact since taking prednisone, I've gained over 75 lbs and need help bad.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

stop taking them if you want to lose weight. or don't eat trashy food. fast food and junk will put on unwanted weight fast.

I use advair for copd, and I can tell you since I started using it, I have gained about 15 pounds, and most of it has been in my stomach.
My doctor tried to tell me that he has never known Advair to cause weight gain, but it is one of the side effects. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of websites where people discuss this, and it is very definitely a side effect.
I am trying something now which I hope will help me lose the weight. Steroids cause sodium to be retained in the body, which would cause fluid retention, which naturally would cause weight gain. When on steroids, cut your salt out totally, and you will lose weight (or so one website told me). You have to quit all salt, and anything high in sodium content - things like chips, crackers, salt meats like ham, etc. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables without salt and it is supposed to help weight loss of about 11 pounds a month (if your weight gain is from steroids).
I will let you know my results, if any.

I too have been on advair and have gained weight. I cannot seem to lose it either. Then I read something about steroids causing your body to retain sodium, which in turn causes fluid retention and weight gain. So, while on steroids, you must not eat any salt and limit sodium intake. Eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables as they are usually high in potassium which helps counteract the sodium retention so this should help you to lose weight. I have heard as much as 11 -22 pounds a month. If it is indeed water rentention due to sodium, then I could see this. However, I also have Lasix and it doesn't seem to make a difference in the weight.
However, I have just started not eating any salt or any foods high in sodium. I will report back what happens.

I am a Registered Nurse and a health nut---I eat exceptionally well/ no junk/ NO SUGAR/no added salt/ organic and fresh foods only/ no red meats etc etc and each Feb-Apr while I am on Advair for severe pollen allergies that kick my asthma into high gear, I gain 10-15 pounds. So don't anyone give me the junk food lecture---oh---and I go to yoga 3 times/wk. Its the medication folks---it took me a couple pf years to figure it out---my friend/MD was certain Advair would NOT cause weight gain. Ha! He believes me now (4 years later).

yes its true steroids like prednisone. singulair & advair do in deed slow your metablism, i hade to take them on and off for a year and was working at and working out at a gym at the time so i know.SO i dont take them any more after gaining more than 50 pounds in a month.

that's weird, cause not only does advair contain a steroid in powder form, it also includes a long lasting form of albuterol, which is known to have thermogenic effects and increase metabolism. I personally, have noticed since I been taking my asthma medicines(advair 2xdaily, albuterol treatment 1xdauly, and inhaler) i have lost alot of weight, with little to no exercising, and dieting... and it's the holidays...

i am now convinced that it does. i'm a new mom and in an attempt to lose my baby weight (which was only 10 extra pounds), i have been completely unsuccessful and have been very frustrated as to why i can't loose weight. then it dawned on me, i've been taking advair 250/50 for over five years now and in those five years i've gained at least 10 pounds a year and am not able to lose and keep off more than 5 pounds. it's very frustrating because i love the fact that i feel as though i don't have asthma when i use advair, but being this overweight is making me depressed and very motivated to loose a BUNCH of weight to be healthy and fit. i'm not sure what i'm going to do from here, but i'm glad that i can now go to my doctor with some findings to back me up.

My doctor says No-weight gain is not a side effect of Advair-but if you do an "advair weight gain" google search, you will find post after post after post from patients who have gained weight on it.

I am an avid gym rat-I weight train hard and heavy as well as do plenty of cardio, and within weeks of starting Advair, the pounds started piling on. I gained about 10lbs overall-around 2 pounds per month. My diet is excellent and I wasn't eating any more to account for the gain.

I eventually got the weight gain to stop by upping the cardio an additional 1 to 1.5 hour a week. So far I haven't been able to lose any of the gained weight.

I otherwise like this drug, as it helps my breathing-but I am convinced it contributed to the weight gain.

The steriods Prednisone work differently then the steroids that are in Advair. (Ask your doctor about the differences) I too gained alot of weight about 20 lbs in less then a month from Prednisone and I do believe I have put on some weight from the Advair..however, I also know that my hormones are changing and I am in my 40's now makes a difference also!

I can attest to this! I do everything regarding eating right and exercise and yet still I have gained 50 pounds in two years. I have no choice but to use Symbicort and prednisolone for my daily asthma control. AMAZING THOUGH I LIVE IN TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, however whenever I go on holidays to New York I do not ever get any asthma signs or attacks. This was also experienced by some of my friends and my mom. This is not a lie climate and temperature do make a difference on a person's health. Apity I can't live there, as I get life threatening attacks quite frequently. I need help to lose this weight plz.

Have been using advair for several years with great asthma symptom control, but now 47 and something is wrong. Thought maybe perimenapause the issue, did testing and wow really low testosterone. I'm former bodybuilder, record holding powerlifter, so this has come as big shock. Really fatigued, no endurance and lossing muscle mass quickly. Anyway, does anyone think this could be partially due to the corticosteriod in Advair? Started bioidentical hormones, progesterone and now testosterone. I am going to stop my Advair, it will be tough, because with Advair had virtually no bronchial spasms, but can't take no sex drive ect... So back to using Proventil I guess, will discuss with my Asthma doctor, kind of mad!!!

I have been on advair 250/50 for 2 1/2 yrs and have lost 30 lbs. now I weigh 128. male 5ft 6in.