I am going to have the novasure procedure done. will it effect my weight at all?

I always planned on getting the Novasure but I have been reading that it causes weight gain and lots of other problems. My doctor says she has not heard that but of course she would say that it is money out of her pocket. I have decided that I can give with my periods rather than gain weight.

Hey, I think that birth control that doesn't make you gain weight actually exist and I think that Novasure is one of those. I think that ladies believe that they have gained the weight because they were using certain pills, but I think that you are gaining weight because of your lifestyle. Sure, Novasure, just like some other birth control pills can affect your hormones, but as long as you are active, I think that you won't get fat. I am using Novasure and I never gained one single pound of it. The only thing that caused me gaining the weight is food and laying in my bed. 

GOOD NEWS: I had the procedure done in May '08 at 42 yrs old. The year prior my periods went from a life long of normal no-big-deal periods to very heavy, crampy, clotty, and left me nearly anemic. I could barely leave the house and the cramping pain was unreal. I am not planning to have more children so this procedure seemed perfect for me. It's now Aug '09 and I have never used one pad or even a tampon since the procedure! I swear! My periods arrive every 28 days and only use 1-2 liners and it's over. (Now that I've said that I bet payback is around the corner!!!) I never get cramps either. Amen.

BAD NEWS: I DID GAIN WEIGHT. Prior to the surgery I gained 3-5 lbs of water every month, but right after my period I immediately lost it. That was the routine for 34 years of periods every month. However the month after the Novasure surgery I gained 3-5 lbs of water weight and retain 2-3 pounds month after month. It's like there's no relief! It's horrible and depressing, but I must say I feel a heck of a lot better reading that I'm not the only one gaining weight (as weird as that seems). My eating and exercising habits have not changed. This procedure was the only thing different that happened to me. Is everyone gaining it right after a period? I AM UP 20 POUNDS!! I think the weight is unhealthier than the wicked periods. I also heard from two other people that they also gained 20 pounds within the first year after surgery. I'm petrified I"ll gain more. I know that the surgery doesn't work the same way for every woman, but doesn't this weight gain thing seem to be a common thread??? I have a doctor appt in two days for my yearly exam and will find out what the deal is and if there's a solution. It doesn't seem that diet & exercise is going to get this off from what I've read.

I too had the procedure done in June 2009 and I was releived that I didn't have to deal with constant bleeding and cramping and back aches any longer....however now I am dealing with the weight gain. Like you stated, my diet and excercise did not change, actually think I started to excercise more. All of my weight is in my core area and it keeps getting worse and I don't know what to do. I still have bad back aches too, I even had the doctor take urine to see if I had a Kidney infection.

Has anyone gone back to the doctor in regards to the weight gain and found somewhat of a solution to this??? Desperatly looking for some answers! %-)

I had the procedure done in April of this year. I have also gained weight for no reason, I can't help but wonder if it is due to the Novasure procedure. Would appreciate any input. I am 41 years old. >:(

I had the novasure procedure in September and I am dealing with weight gain also. I have gained 15 pounds and I have increased my workout routine to try to lose weight. Nothing seems to help.

I also had novasure procedure in september 2009 and have gained weight diet and workouts not helping I am 50 years old did help with blood flow but still have periods not as many. :-( :-( :-(

I had the Novasure procedure done in Sept 2008 and have not had a period since thenor any kind of cramping but have gained 25 lbs. Im 53 yrs old. I too, exercise and try and eat right but the pounds keep coming...I thought it was only me...If anyone finds a solution thats gets the weight back off, please post it! Life without excruciating periods is heaven but 25lbs added on is a heavy (no pun intended!) price to pay!!

same with me gained 15 pounds cuz of nova sure... Would not have done it if i knew this!

UPDATE: 2 years post procedure and my weight gain seems to have topped off at 20lbs. I still have PMS symptoms of irritability, food cravings, and slight bloating, but my period has been 100% gone for over 6 months. Come to think of it, the steady weight gain seemed to end when my period stopped completely..... Did anyone else experience that?

The downside is I still struggle to take the weight off. I've recently taken up running hoping to trick my body since fairly regular (sweaty!) gym workouts haven't helped. I am also very careful about what I eat, but I refuse to get obsessive with unhealthy diets or pills. I want a long term fix. I did visit the doctor after my last post in August. She was surprised and never heard of a weight gain issue from any other patient, and found it unlikely that the procedure had anything to do with it based on the procedure itself - they didn't remove the uterus or perform a hysterectomy, etc. She also asked tons of questions to be sure it wasn't something else going on with me. I took blood tests. Thankfully, nothing is physically wrong other than this horrible weight. She said she'd look into the connection between Novasure and weight gain and would get back to me. The call never came. I go back in two months for my annual and plan to discuss it again.

I know my body. My period and weight gain NEVER changed three decades prior to this procedure. The weight I gained around my period in those days was water weight and came off easily within a couple of days of my period. This weight is different, and I know those of you who posted here know what I mean. Within two months of Novasure is when my weight gain started, and I gained once a month. If naysayers, who don't even know me, blame my diet or lack of exercise then why the steady 2-3 weight gain every 28 days (and no more for the rest of the month) like clockwork? The same amount of weight gained at the same time every month. Was it the same for you too?

Even as wonderful as it is never to have a period, I would not have had this procedure done had I known about the weight side affect. It seems to be a risk that I would not have wagered. Some experience it, and I guess others do not. My period was a horrible, often embarrassing nuisance and temporarily disabling, but this much weight gain is horribly unhealthy on the body and mind.

jinx wrote:

i had novasure procedure done Nov.09 and by the end of january 2010, i was 10 lbs heavier. My periods have competely stopped, no cramping. I do have some PMS and breast tenderness. I can deal with the monthly symptoms but I'm so upset about the weight gain. I'm 37 and I've been the same weight for many years. I had my 4 children in my early 20's and have since worked off all the pregnancy weight. My mother even mentioned my weight gain seems almost like menopause symptoms. I've gained in my middle section! UGH! :(

I just found out that the weight gain, bloating, night sweats and irritability was probably from being INSULIN RESISTANT! Maybe it wasn't the novasure after all. Now I'm working on changing my diet and lifestyle. I had gestational diabetes for my first pregnancy but i never noticed any problems until the last year or so... My thyroid is fine and so are my hormone levels. Insulin resistance is totally reverse able also. I'm not over weight at all but i do have a weakness for carbs. So this was a surprise to me. Just thought i would share. =)

YES.... GAINED AND CANT LOSE, NO MATTER WHAT I DO...YES NOT HAVING A PERIOD IS LOVELY...BUT IVE HAD ALOT OF SWELLING, CRAMPING AND PAIN, EVERYMONTH SINCE I HAD THE PROCEDURE DONE...DONT DO IT...ABSOLUTELY NOT

I am replying in hopes that someone researching Novasure seriously re-considers it!  Sure, I love not bleeding AT all.  The only way I somewhat know when it's coming is from ovulation. I have been a MESS since the procedure and it's just strange that it happened after Novasure when I was always healthy and in good shape. I have had so much blood work done, ultrasounds, etc.  I have been gaining weight steadily every year.  Went from 135 to 165 and I'm 5'3 and 36 years old.  I had it done almost 4 years ago.  Soon after having it done is when the weight gain started.  I get bloating in my stomach a lot!  I have horrible back pain (now seeing a chiropractor), my chin has a rash that flairs up now and then (hormonal) something I have NEVER experienced before.  I'm exhausted all the time, but have insomnia at times too.  Even looking into GNC pills to hopefully give me some energy! (let me tell you, I'm a stay at home mom with an 8 and 5 year old...very good home life!), mild heat flashes, I looked up all symptoms and they all seem to point to peri-menopause.  My mom did not have this and I'm just wondering if Novasure sent my body into pre-menopause.  I can't confirm this but I am SO upset that my OB-GYN flat out said - Novasure comes with NO side effects.  Except for the 1st few days of cramping. Please girls/women...do your research and ASK a ton of questions.