I was diagnosed with asthma this January. I am taking 10 mg Singulair once per day and this is the only medication that I take. However, I have gained at least 15 lbs since I started taking Singulair. I am also experiencing strange dreams and have rash. Is the weight gain side effect of Singulair even though it is not listed as such?

Singulair is a medicine that helps control asthma in adults and young children. It should not be used for the fast relief of acute asthma attacks and it is used for long-term prevention of asthma. Singulair can be taken with or without food. Singulair side effects are usually mild and they vary depending on the age of a patient. The most common side effects from taking Singulair are headache, soar throat, ear infection, respiratory infection, abnormal dreams, abdominal pain, fever, flu etc. But, we have noticed that many patients taking this medication have problems with weight gain, like in your case. However, weight gain is not listed as a side effect of taking Singulair. Maybe your eating habits have changed since you started taking this medicine. You should go to your doctor so that he can examine you and determine what is the cause for your weight gain.

I agree with Moralez, I gained weight taking Singulair and Zyrtec. My eating habits has not changed, in fact I ate less for a while. No matter what I did the weight did not go away, most of it was the around the waist and on my back. I thought my matabolism had completely stopped working, because even when I exercised, I seem to gain instead of losing.

I have been thin all my life. I am now on Advair and I gained 20 pounds and can't seem to lose it. I do not eat a lot, even less than before I was put on Advair. Does everyone have this problem with the steroids in Advair? I'm seriously thinking of taking it only once a day instead of twice or changing the medication. Thanks.

I was on advair for a long time. I didn't like the medication (the awful powder) and I noticed that the steriod in advair didn't cause me to gain weight but it did prevent me from losing weight. I now take spiriva and like it much better. It hasn't made me gain weight and when I tried I did loose a few pounds.

I was diagnosed 18 months ago with allergy induced asthma. Singulair was one of the medications that I was given to take. After a weight gain of 15-20 pounds, I discussed with my physician and was told that Singulair should not cause ANY weight gain.
Through a series of changing my meds around (not recommended), I have come to the conclusion that Singulair has been the cause of this extra weight. To prove my case further, I was very sick with a stomach bug recently and did not lose one pound during the 7-10 days that I was unable to eat solid food! As with others that I have spoken with, exercise and calorie intake (taking special concern to limit carbs and fat) has not in the least caused my weight to flux down as it should.

I am on Singulair and have horrible cramps with bloating on my back and my mid section. I thought I had food poisoning or a stomach virus. I have been running and taking saunas to sweat the water retention out and it appears it was just the Singulair. It is horrible because I breathe well on it, but it is not worth the discomfort. Anyone else have this?

Wow, I just read the post about Singulair causing bloating, stomach cramps and weight gain. I have been on Singulair for just over a month now. I have had this cramp in my left abdomen area constantly now. And I am bloating in the stomach too. I sometimes bloat up and look 3 months pregnant. I have also gained 6 pounds in a few weeks and have not really eaten any more. I have been thinking about going to a gastroenterologist because I was thinking maybe I had something wrong. My gynocologist checked for an ovarian cyst and I don't have that. I stoppd the Singulair 3 days ago because I ran out of the drug. I don't think I am going to start it back up to see if my problem resolves. If it does, then I know it was the Singulair and I won't have to see any other doctors.

I have been on Singulair for a couple of years and I agree it does makes you gain weight. I try to drink a lot more water to counter act bloating and the feeling of dehydration that I usually experience. I also exercise every day for 30 minutes a day (trendmill, exercise bike or eliptical trainer to prevent more weight gain. I knew something was amiss when I was exercising every day for months and not losing a pound so I can relate to all of the posts.

Singulair is indeed the culprit. I do not take it everyday, but do the onset of a sinus infection. Within 3 days, I gained 6 pounds around my midsection and back. Although, I have been off of Singulair for about 4 weeks, the weight remains, no matter what I eat or how much I exercise. The fact is -is that this is the third time that this has happened. The first 2 times, I was not sure it was Singulair, so after a full year when the seasonal allergies kicked in again , I used Singulair, and guess what, here goes those 6 pounds again. Just because a medicine doesn't list a particular side effect, it doesn't mean that it does not exist. It only means that the patient did not report it to the doctor, or the doctor didn't report it to the pharma rep or some other pharmaceutical contact, or that the amount of the report side effects are too little to research. Question---did anyone on this forum report this side effect to the doctor or pharmaceutical company? It takes a mere 5 minutes to contact the company that is listed on the back of the prescription, but how many people do it?

PharmaRep

My 7 year-old son has been taking Singulair for about 5 months now. I recently started noticing a significant weight gain with him, especially around his belly. All of his clothes I bought him in September for school are skin tight on him. He's always been a stocky boy but about 3 weeks ago I took him to the doctor and his weight was at 90 pounds! I was horrified! I took him to urgent care for a sore throat less than a week ago and was even more horrified when he tipped the scales at 98 pounds! I asked the doctor if he knew anything about Singulair and if it causes weight gain. The doctor told me no and said that it's his eating habits- he eats too much. I told him that his diet has not changed and he hasn't been eating more than usual. He basically made me feel like a crappy parent for having a chubby kid and told me to stop letting him eat so much! I'm so glad I found this discussion! My suspicions have been confirmed. Singulair is the culprit of his weight gain. Now what to do? My little guy has started developing stretch marks on his rear end!

My 18 year old daughter started using Singulair in September. She began to experience swelling in her legs and arms. She also was very tired and complained of head aches and aches in her knees and back. She also gained 20 lbs. over the past 3 months. We were told that this was not a side effect of Singulair. After many medical tests to check her heart, kidneys, veins, etc. (All came back normal) I took her to a nutritionist who put her on a strict diet. During this time she continued to gain weight. She quit taking the singular 3 weeks ago. The swelling in her legs has gone done some and she feels a lot better overall but she has not lost the weight around her mid section. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you get the weight off?

i don't feel crazy anymore!! i am an asthmatic and have been on advair and singulair for a couple of years. since then, i have gained 30 pounds and cannot lose it. it's a constant struggle to even maintain it. it's nothing for me to gain 5pounds in 1 week if i am not extremely careful about what i eat. i am only 27, and i even went to a nutritionist and i eat healthier than i ever have. plus i started working out regularly, and still can't budge my weight. most of it is in my middle, and i get bloated very easily too. i had tried discussing this w/my dr (I thought it was d/t the advair) & he blew me off, said it's my age and such. i never stopped to think that it might be the singulair. still looking for the answer on how to control my weight, b/c i really need these meds to control my asthma....

I agree. I started taking Singulair and gained 20 pounds. It has been horrible for me to get this weight off. I stopped taking the drug. I also got horrible stomach pain and was very agressive.

The person who said that Singulair does not cause weight gain, is wrong. Perhaps you should not make such generalized statements for everyone. Perhaps in your case, it was eating too much while on it, but this is NOT the case for most people who gain weight on it.

However, this drug DOES act on a person's body like a steriod, though the doctors who gave it to my pre-teen daughter said it was NOT one.

She gained a huge amount, had the round moon face almost immediately, though iweight gain was not listed as a side effect, so I did not make the connection until I began to read message boards and numerous person who had the same reaction.

Then after the initial bloating up like a balloon (and she still comments that I should have never let th edoctor put her on this and ruin her pre-teen years due to taunting and teasing by other children) she developed a huge appetite (that she had never had before) and every time I turned around she was eating it seemed. Thus, then she DID gain more weight.

As soon as I realized that it might be the Singulair, I spole with our family doctor, and he said we would wean her off (he is actually the type of doctor who LISTENS to his patients), evne though he was not sure if it was the Singulair or not.

The moon face and a lot of the bloating and weight gain began to disappear immediately, but it took several years for her to lose the rest of the weight (because I would not let her "diet" diet at her age). She began drinking mostly water and watching what she ate.'

This was years ago. About 1 1/2 years she began taking BC pills, and the same thing has happened, but not as immediate.

I think some people are more sensitive to many drugs, so just because one person does not have the side effect, does not mean that it is not valid in many others.