How much sterid does it take to cause weight gain? How long do the effects last as it pertains to weight gan? I tke steroid shots about every six months for tennis elbow. Every three months if you count alternating elbows.

The steroids you are referring to and the steroids you are taking are two different things. Anabolic steroids are steroids that promote tissue growth by creating protein to enhance muscle growth. They are used for weight gain and abused by many sportsmen and weight lifters.
Corticosteroids that you are receiving for your tennis elbow are synthetically made cortisone, naturally occurring substance in the body, reduce inflammation and irritation caused by many diseases.
The most common side effects of corticosteroids are: pain at the site of injection, causing loss of strength and movement due to tendon weakening and scarring, pigmentation problems, infections, etc
Most of the time, they reduce pain and inflammation but could also slow healing.

I don't care what you are told, I have had steroid injections to "reduce inflammation" after a doctor botched a c-section. No matter what I did, each shot put on 8 pounds. This is the absolute hardest weight I have ever tried to take off of my body, and it doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. I had a doctor tell me today that steroids only caused water gain, and I gained from having a baby. I gained 15 with my son, lost 18, and gained 32 after they had to do a series of injections and another surgery to correct the first. YES, THEY MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT. Even the corticosteroids do.

Is the shot itself that makes you gain the weight or is it an increase in appetite due to the steroid injections? I am interesting to know since I am very soon going to undergo a series on shots for alopecia areata. Please respond.

I have just received a steroid injection for a problem caused by Dermalive. Dermalive is a product used for cosmetic enhacement of, in my case, nasal labial folds. I received the Dermalive exactly two years ago, and now I have lumps showing through the surface of my skin.

The doctor who gave me the Dermalive two years ago, is now treating me with a steroid injection into the exact area of the lumps. I believe she called them granular formations.

I have already gained weight, although the doctor said I would NOT!

Is this possible?

I had a corticosteroid shot a few months ago for severe asthma and I gained weight. Weight gain was never really an issue for me to reduce, but no matter what I try now, I CANNOT get the weight off. To compare, I did the Master Cleanse (juice fast / detox) 10 months ago, lost 26 lbs in 13 days, 16 of which I lost in the first week. I am currently doing the cleanse again and am on my 5th day (hoping to flush this horrid medication that seems to have taken control of my body weight) - I have lost only 5 lbs, and that includes going to the gym. Plus, it's like the drug is rebelling to the detox, because all my joints hurt and swelling has taken place in my hands and around my joints! I don't understand it, all I know is, this is NOT the way my body normally responds to weightloss management. Who knew???? But it SUCKS.

Oh, and I talked to the pharmacy, and they told me there is nothing I can do but wait out the shot (which is active for 6 months in the system). He said go to the gym and try to eat light, but I will STILL gain weight.

A closer look into this drug online helped me understand it a little better. Basically stay away from carbohydrates, fats, sugar, salt, anything that can be saved as glucose or retain water in the system. Steroids also cause weight gain, because they suppress the adrenal glands, which are responsible for metabolism. There's a whole other slew of side effects, too. Like a repressed immune system, which will leave you susceptible to getting any little thing. I was sick every time I turned around for about a month and a half after I had my shot (plus, I was taking them orally and through inhalation), but that seems to have passed. The weight is still the main problem for me.

Hope this helps shed some light on this elusive drug. Kinda makes you wish they tell you all this stuff and what to expect, up front, huh?

Interesting comments. I stumbled upon this thread because I'm convinced I've lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks due to 5 days of an oral steroid followed by an epidural steroid injection. 6 months ago I started dieting and pretty quickly lost 15 lbs. I'm a 6'1", 36 year old male that started the diet at 211 lbs. Since the weight loss, I've been down between 12 & 16 lbs but can't really seem to crack that 16 lb. mark. Since the steroid use 2 weeks ago, I've dropped another 10 without any exercise. In fact, the steroids where for a sever back problem and my exercise has decreased since I'm barely able to even walk. Last week my face was red and my skin was hot. The only thing I can figure is that my metabolism was on overdrive and I was burning calories at a much higher rate than normal.

I'm annoyed that these doctors are not recognizing the increased hunger and weight gain associated with steroid injections. Yes, it happened to me two after two injections in the neck spaced a week apart. My jeans are very tight around the mid-section and I am eating everything in sight because I am stomach grumbling STARVING every two hours. I had trouble sleeping at first and had so much energy I cleaned the house AND organized the day after my injection. I was jittery even though I skipped my morning caffeine. I really wish doctors would listen to their patients side effects!!! Of course it makes sense (common sense) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your body is responding to a STEROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello...
I also heard that from steroid you gain weight but my doctor said its harmful to your health sooner or later so do exercise don't go for short cut. I stop taking steroid from that day....

I lost 30 pounds last year with weight watchers and I had a car accident in January of this year. As a result I have 3 bulging discs in my neck. In the last month I have had 2 injections and I've gained at least 12 pounds so far and I feel like I'm starving all the time. I wish someone had told me that this could happen. Now I still have a stiff neck, depressed and to top it all off I'm fat.... >:(

Any medical professional who tells you that steroids do not cause you to gain weight, needs to be fired. If not by the hospital, by you as a patient. Steriods used in common medical treatment to reduce inflammation, such as corticosteroids (ex. prednisone, prednisolone) given via injection, intravenous drip, or oral tablet, affect most ALL systems in the human body. There is a good webpage on the various side effects of prednisone at the Johns Hopkins website - http://vasculitis.med.jhu.edu/treatments/prednisone.html .

I first took prednisone in very small doses after my wisdom teeth were removed. Not much side effects there, but when I had higher doses - three days of 1000mg IV, then 15 days tapered orally from 50 mg down to 10 mg, I experienced weight gain, sleepiness, horrible heartburn, and late in the taper, insomnia.

I recieved no warnings before my intravenous doses were started about weight gain. The hospital did not put me on a reduced sodium or reduced sugar diet. In fact, they did blood draws to check my vitals and left a note in my medical records that I might be diabetic - because they did the blood draws after I was given the steroids, which messes with your glucose reactions!

I now cannot wear most any of my clothing, because they will not fit over my hips and stomach. I gained 20 pounds over two weeks! I would love to get this weight off, but I don't know what is going to get rid of it. Nothing that has previously worked, is working this time.

I took 2 different sessions of prednisone, where you take 40mg per day for 1 week and the 2nd week you taper off and take less each day. I did this for 2 consecutive 2 week sessions. I went from a weak person for 5 years to cooking, cleaning, and happiness all day long with a slight buzz for 1 month mid-march. It is now July and for last month I noticed I've been fitting into my clothes that were falling off of me. I was down to size 4 and couldn't buy anything small enough to fit me a 5'9 110-115 female. I overate when I was on steroids and ate lots of ice cream, cake some times 3 servings at once after a meal. I just never got full. And tons of jolly roger hard candies. Before, no matter what I ate, I could not gain any weight. I have serious bladder disease called Interstitial cystitis for last 5 years. I noticed that my mouth has a funny taste all the time now, and I have a barrel around my waist that actually hangs over my pants. I feel bloated all the time. I didn't read steroid instructions all the way and didn't eat food with them first week and got stomach aches afterwards and still get them. I was taking steroids for intubatioin granulomas, created by anesthesia tubes too large for my throat I suspect, but these are lumps in my larynx (vocal cords) from a parathryroid surgery in February, trying to shrink the lumps so I can talk. I cannot get rid of the dry mouth nor the funny taste since taking the steroids. and only 1 of the granulomas went away. I still have 1 that I refuse to let them cut out as they say they come back. Suddenly tho, I feel feel bloated all the time, my gut isn't moving, and it's been 2 months since I took the steroids so I am eating hardly anything or no more than I was before I took them. The only thing I have done differently is eat tons of hard candy cuz the taste is so bad in my mouth and throat so dry. This was pure corn syrup & throat lozenges. And lately tons of anti acid tablets because of my stomach issues now. Today I weigh 3 lbs more than I did last night when I went to bed? And I only ate small breakfast and salad for lunch/dinner before 5pm. I do hope that eventually this reverses my metabolism and had I known about these side affects, I would have not taken the steroids at all. Really makes me mad that doctors don't tell you possible side affects of medications when they prescribe things or do surgical procedures. >;)

I've had several series of injections into a keloid scar and I've been wondering about the posibility of it causing weight gain. I've put on 15kg over the last couple of years, just can't seem to stop eating! I had a cat on steroids a few years ago and she went nuts. Her whole personality changed and she had a ravenous appetite, she did eventually return to normal a while after I stopped giving her the tablets.

I have been taken steroid injections at least once a month in lower back and in neck area because of a work injury. I have gain weight and can't lose nothing. I can't exercise because of problem. I've notice since getting injections in neck, my neck is getting bigger. I would like to know if there is something to take that can help with this problem. I also have to take lortab 7.5, motrin 800mg, and norflex daily so what a girl to do. %-)