I am 48 years old, have been taking Effexor XR 225 mg for about 16 years. It was prescribed for severe anxiety/panic disorder and I have done OK taking it with the exception of always feeling tired throughout the day time. I decided to taper myself off this on my own and had read about opening the capsules and taking an equal amount of the tiny beads each night for about 2 weeks, then increasing the amounts removed by small numbers each 2 weeks. I removed about 1/4 of the beads the first two weeks, then 1/2, then 3/4, until I was down to only two 75 mg capsules a day. I was doing well at 150mg a day when I got really sick, I have been told this illness was the new cold virus that has hit so many in the U.S. very early this year, the symptoms were sever entire body aches, fatigue, and loss of appetite, others have suffered similar but added symptoms such as diarrhea and vomitting the virus lasts on average of 10 days. I am not sure if this triggered depression due to the drop in Effexor I was taking or if am having symptoms of pre-menapause, I have never been depressed, the Effexor was prescribed for anxiety attacks and I do realize that so many people do suffer depression at one time or other in their life. I began crying all the time when I was not sleeping, I lost 6 pounds in 5 days, when the crying got to much to handle I decided to go back up to 225 mg of the Effexor XR and this did help some fo the leftover symptoms, I was not as sad and I began getting my appetite back. I began feeling better and after about 8 days of feeling myself again, I started feeling extremely sad again, to the point I believed I was depressed, went to a new Doctor because mine had just retired after seeing her for almost 10 years, he did all the questionaires on depression, took blood, did all sorts of tests for vitamin deficiency etc. He learned that I have Ebstien Bar Virus which is a virus that stays dormant in the body until triggered by stress, illness etc, this will be with me forever there is no cure, I suffer from chronic fatigue stemming from the EBV, and he believes that the Effexor is no longer working as it did at one time.

Here is why I am posting here, he has decided to put me on Zoloft beginning with 25mg at night before bed, I am to take 150 mg of Effexor XR when I wake up and 75mg around dinner time, he says that me taking it at bedtime like I had been the entire 16 years was probably the reason I was not sleeping very well and suffering day time fatigue. I am scared to death of going on a new medication while having withdrawals from the Effexor, I am already noticing the loss of appetite caused by the Zoloft, and because I am not certain nor is my Doctor certain that I am in fact depressed I might be going through all this for nothing any way. Anyone have any advice?