I’m interested in side effects of effexor. In fact, what I’m exactly interested in is how effexor affects weight? Does it cause weight gain? If do, I think that it makes just one new reason for depression. Please post if you know something about this. Thanks.

Effexor can affect the weight and cause weight gain. But it is temporary effect, that goes away within few weeks. Other typical side effects are headache, sweating, sleepiness, nausea and dry mouth. Sexual dysfunction is also likely to occur and goes away, like weight gain. Else what I have heard is that some people lost on weight while were on effexor. It is obviously possible. But I think that it is more common for this type of antidepressant to cause effect of weight gain.

I AM 42 YEARS OLD AND ON EFFEXOR. I HAVE GAINED 40LBS IN THE LAST 4 YEARS. I EXERCISE AND DO NOT THINK OF MYSELF AS AN OVER EATER. I AM SO FRUSTRATED WITH THIS WEIGHT. I AM THE SAME AS I WAS THE DAY I DELIVERED BOTH OF MY CHILDREN. I FEEL LIKE A BIG PUFF BALL. I HAVE TRIED DIFFERENT TYPES OF ANTIDEPRESSANTS TO SEE IF I WOULD NOT GAIN WEIGHT BUT NOTHING HAS WORKED. I KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE DO NOT BELIEVE IT BUT I DO. EVERY TIME I GET REAL FRUSTRATED AND TRY TO GO OFF THE MEDS THAT YUCK FEELING COMES BACK AND I PANIC AND GO BACK ON. IF THEY TOLD ME I WOULD BALLOON UP TO THIS WEIGHT I DON'T THINK I WOULD HAVE GONE ON THE MEDS. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED
KIM

Kim,
I too am in my 40's.......44 as of the end of July. I have been on effexor for several years and am disgusted with my weight gain. I exercise like a fiend and watch what I eat too. And I was told by my physician that effexor would be more weight neutral than what I was formerly taking (celexa). I went off celexa about 6 years ago, cold turkey. And I've been off the effexor now for three weeks. I am STILL having virtigo and vomiting. It feels like I've just stepped off of a spinning amusement park ride. I am now taking Sam-e, a vitamin supplement, and it seems to be working for me. It's mainly for joint pain, but it's also been successful in treating mood swings, which was originally why I even started taking effexor in the first place. I am no other medications except a multivitamin and I feel great. I believe the weight will now come off me as I continue my exercise routines.
So, in a round-about way, I guess I'm trying to say just don't give up.
Ann

I am exercising like a fiend and watching what I eat. I have never been this fat, ever, and I haven't changed anything in my life EXCEPT I joined the gym and started dieting 6 months ago, and I'm not losing any weight. I am 29 and it's like Effexor completely decimated my metabolism. I have never had trouble losing weight before.

I've read the same thing happening to other people on a number of other boards. I thought I felt like c**p about myself BEFORE the Effexor, but now I am an obese pig who can jog for an hour straight four days a week and NOT LOSE ANY WEIGHT. I feel unattractive and totally frustrated with my weight.

I wish I had never taken it.

I have actually lost 10 pounds on Effexor and feel great. It seems like the sites on the internet is just ot complain about the drug. Effexor has helped me tremendously

Effexor does, make you gain weight and it does not go away after a couple of weeks.It's exactly the oppossite! You may loose weight at first but eventually sometimes even after 6 months you will gain weight. I have never heard of anybody tha's been on Effexor for more than 4 months say that they have not gain weight or as it was posted that you gain some pounds at the beginning but you loose them after a couple of weeks.

i started effexor today and i just got off the phone with my pharmacy tech friend cause i was scared to death bout the wait issue and he said it just makes u retain water so drink alot of water to counter react the problem so u urinate alot. he said thats the only prob and, dont eat so much.

Guest wrote:

dont eat so much.

Great advice. (rolls eyes)

I have actually lost weight even though I feel like I'm eating more!

i was on effexor for 6 months, and i gained 25 pounds i have always been into fitness (trying to keep my body fat below 20%). when i did come off of the drug it took triple the effort to lose the weight. and the one who said she lost weight? thats probaly 1 and 1000.

I took Effexor for 4 years and it saved my life in many ways. But it also made me gain 50 pounds which I did not expect and have really struggled with even today. I have not been able to sucessfully lose the weight even these years later. After discussing it with my pyscho-pharm she explained that Effexor greatly enhances the body's ability to absorb and utilize calories - so you can have exactly the same eating and working out habits and you will gain weight. Once the weight is gained it is hard to get your body back to it's natural weight. I stopped taking Effexor due to the extreme body weight gain and how that weight makes me feel. Good luck to everyone.

Hi,I have been on Effexor for the past 6 months.At first I couldn't eat then my eating went back to normal, no increase in eating only eating healthy.Within a matter of 2 months I gained 15kgs.Due to the sudden weight gain my phychiatrist is reducing the Effexor & taking me off it. Apparently if it does effect your weight your metabolism slows down dramatically & stores fat differently.Does anyone know how long it takes to see any reduce in weight when you are off the medication? It worked well besides this weight gain. I don't want to see anyone or go anywhere as everyone is commenting on this weight gain! Bel

I am 43 and have been on Effexor for 2 years. I have actually lost 30 pounds. I am delighted. I am not doing anything differently. I do not exercise. My eating habits seem to have changed as far as eating less. I am not turning to food in a depressed state. Just wanted to share my experience. Good luck to all.

Jackie

I'm 20 and started effexor. I dropped about 10-15 pounds in the first month of treatment. Friends and family were worried about me because I looked so waifish... I was thin to begin with... and I haven't been able to gain the weight back. It's been several months. I think everyone's body reacts differently.