I have been taking Effexor 100mg/daily for well over 10 years. I have tried to wean off of this drug even with doctors for years, and the withdrawal symptoms are excruciating. I have suffered, my children suffered, family has suffered worried about me, I have lost jobs [not from depression] but from trying to withdrawal from this drug with no success.

The drug specifics (the paper that comes with the drug that specifies the side affects, etc.) does NOT mention how difficult it would be to withdrawal from this medication.

I am madder than ****! My doctor never told me how difficult it would be to get off this drug ---- even being weened off for months!! I asked my doctor how do I get off this drug!?! Her response was, "you have to see a psychologist", baloney! The problem is not my depression, it's the withdrawal symptoms!! A psychologist isn't going to cure the feeling like I'm being "electrocuted" that last for months - to only give up and go back on this drug!

I have contacted an attorney and he thinks we possibly have a case here. I am forming a class action lawsuit, against the mfg. of Effexor - Wyeth Pharmaceutical.

I need as many people as possible to jump on this train with me. Please email me your name, address, telephone number and your withdrawal experiences. Please write to:********
I feel it is almost impossible to get off this drug. I need your help to fight back, because I feel it is all about money to get the public addicted to this drug.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.
*******

**edited by moderator**emails not allowed**

I have been taking 150 mg of effexor for about two years, and am withdrawing from it now-it's been three days and I feel awful. I was tapering off for about two weeks, and the day I went Effexor free I started feeling sick and severely depressed. I was never told that there would be withdrawal symptoms from this drug-once I tried to quit cold turkey and became suicidal. I suffer from chills, fever, nausea and brain zaps as well as a generalized sick feeling, and body aches. My email address is ******-Let me know about the lawsuit-I'd like to see if I can get on board.

NO EFFEXOR WITHDRAWAL WHILE USING 5-HTP (200mg X 2or3/day)

Background information first:
I am a Male and Began Taking Effexor XR 75mg at age 31 for ANXIETY
I have been taking between (1) 37.5mg to (3) 37.5mg per day for 5 years now...

Finally Decided that I wanted to quit the Effexor and here is how I did it without any "Brain Shivers", believe me...I know exactly how it feels and it is no fun to say the least....

1. Goto a "GOOD" NaturoPathic Doctor and have them work with you to first get the following items in order:
a) Get all your Organs and Glands "Talking to each other again” using a Bio-Feedback Machine (ie. Inergetix or SCIO)
b) Use HomeoPathics to Get your Pineal, Pituitary, HypoThalmus, Thyroid, Adrenal, Liver & Lymphatic Systems back in Shape again (Effexor very slowly begins to shut down communication of the Organs and Glands in your entire body)
2. Raise your Body PH Level back to Normal (ie. 7.0 is normal) although I am still stuck at a 6.0 (most likely due to the Highly Acidic Nature of Effexor and ALL Prescription Medications…!!!)…notice how they call them “Medications” and do not use the word “HEAL”…!!!!!!...THEY DO NOT WANT TO HEAL US, BUT PROLONG OUR RELIANCE ON THEM…THEY WANT OUR WALLETS….$$$$$$$$$$

3. Taper off slowly from whatever dose that you are taking down to 37.5mg and begin taking “5-HTP” and offset from your daily dose of 37.5mg (yes they say it is dangerous to take the HTP, but that is only when you are taking large doses of Effexor, ie. 100mg and over).

4. 1st ….Week: Begin alternating days of Effexor (ie. begin with skipping the Effexor 37.5mg every other day for the first week and taking the 5-HTP steadily throughout the week)…don’t forget that it takes at least a week for the 5-HTP to begin building and working in the body. The dosage will vary for everybody (I took 200mg 2 to 3 times daily throughout the 3 weeks that I was tapering off of the Effexor

5. 2nd ….Week try 2 day lapses without Effexor “or” for as long as you can before getting “Brain Zaps”

6. 3rd ….Week try 3 day lapses without Effexor or for as long as you don’t get the “Brain Zaps” and just keep going longer and longer with the help of the 5-HTP…until you no longer require the Effexor anymore….Remember….the KEY is to first see a “very well qualified” (15+ Years of Experience) NaturoPath to repair the damage that the Effexor has done to your body….PERIOD…

7. You might have “Crying Fits” or other unusual behavior which means that you are “TOO HIGH ON SERATONIN…CUT BACK ON THE 5-HTP…!!!”

8. If you have any questions…feel free to ask them on this site…as I will check back now and then…

Hi Anna,
I hope you are having more luck with your battle... I am on day 3 off Effexor and am having horrible withdrawal symptoms. Please let me know if you are going ahead with your lawsuit, I think Effexor should be banned or at least come with a HUGE warning regarding how difficult it is to discontinue. Please email me at ******

Good Luck to everyone!

I, too, have been on Effexor XR for a very long time -- 10 years. I am only 27 and desperately wish to have children within the next five years. However, even when I'd try to taper the dosage (under the supervision of a MD), I experienced the worst withdrawl symptoms. Crying fits, insomnia, chronic fear/ self doubt/ paranoia, brain shocks, irritability, etc. I really, really want to get off this medication and work thru any personal issues I may have on my own, so that I may one day have children.

Please let me know if I can be of any help. You can contact me at: ******. Good luck!

Lindsay

I am in my 8th day of withdrawal..........I went to the doctor to get medicine for my stomach problems......can't eat or drink anything, have severe stomach cramping.......this last week has been hell. I've have been trying to get off this stuff for over a year and this past week I just did it..............I have never been so sick in my life????? I am back to work today...I missed yesterday. I was so sick to my stomach I had to miss work. THank goodness I had a long weekend. I hope the end of this is near............................

In case it will help anyone, I took a multivitamin and an extra dose of Omega-3. I also took the capsules apart and counted out the beads. I would take away about 5 beads a day. It took me about two months to get completely off the medicine. I still had problems with vision, and I have yet to lose the weight I gained on the medicine. I was only on Effexor for about a year, and the withdrawals were excruciating.

My husband came home tonight and told me about a lawsuit against the makers of effexor xr. I have been taking efffexor xr 150mg for 5 years now and I know that if I miss a dose by even a few hours I will start to feel the brain buzz as some people have been calling it. If I miss a dose completely for one day I am a complete mess, I cannot function. I have mood swings, vertigo, crying spells, fatigue, nausea, and of course the brain buzz. I had no idea how hard it could be to come off. I started taking it to help me with my agoraphobia (severe anxiety disorder) it has helped me greatly but I am afraid if the med is no longer made it will be horrific to come off from.

I work in the healthcare industry and i am so surprised I had not heard about this before. I will be sure to pass this info. on to the Dr's. I work for.

If I need to sign anything please let me know

We found that if you take Benedryl pills while trying to come down off Effexor it helps with the withdrawals.

I'VE BEEN TAKING EFFEXOR FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS NOW. MY PROBLEM STARTED ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO (2005) WHEN A ANNUAL BLOOD TEST CAME BACK WITH LIVER ENZYMES ELEVATED. I WAS TOLD BY THE PHYSICIAN THAT TIS WAS NORMAL. NOW IN 2OO8 MY LIVER ENZYMES CAME BACK SKY HIGH SO I HAD A LIVER BIOPSY DONE AND FOUND OUT THAT I HAD LIVER DAMAGE THAT WAS PROBABLY CAUSED BY THE USE OF EFFEXOR. I ALSO AM TRY TO QUIT THE USE OF THIS DRUG FOR MY LIFE AND I'M HAVING ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS. MARK

hello my brother was taking this medication for a while and the doctors prescribed this medication for 3 different things he finally weaned himself off it with the help from our mother taking littler doses over a period of 2 months. this medicine is expensive and he couldn't afford it allot so he began to act like a addict to it and withdrawing from it than when he got enough $ he would spend it all on this medicine i want him to get what he deserves help us please

I am Bi-polar,anxiety, panic and depression. I have been taking effexor now for over a year and off and on throughout the past 6 year's. I have the ringing in my ear's,nausea,crying fit's over nothing, especially when I realize I have ran out of my effexor, I cry,rock hard in my recliner and don't want to be alone because my heart races and palpatates and aches. I go through insomnia spells where I can't sleep for up to 30 hour's. I lost my 18 year old son 6 and a half year's ago and I miss him so bad at times that I actually hurt! Putting my son in the ground was the most devastating thing that hasd ever happened to me. Although he was diagnoised with M.D at age 3, it was still a blow. I can not live without the effexor, it is my life. LEE

Hey I have been on effexor for almost two years and the withdrawls are terrible. Please let me know how I can help.

Does anyone know where to join a lawsuit in Canada?

Here is what I would say about the Effexor:
-I was sedated by it for 2 years (I and my doctor attributed to the illness, not the cure) so lost 2 years of wages/employment.
-15 pound weight gain
-fibromyalgia-like pain
-low-frequency hearing loss and tinnitus
-severe vertigo, stroke-like loss of co-ordination when withdrawing - I could not drive and could have caused an accident.

LKatt

I am now turning 21. when I was 15 i was told effexor would help me with my depression. It did right away so I thought. I became very addicted to it, If i miss a dosage I would become absolutely CRAZY. I would hurt myself, I was having bad dreams, I would shake, I didn't want to sleep because i was scared, i didn't even know what i was scared of. Within a year of taking this drug my Doctor kept uping my dosage. The summer I was going into grade 9, I would take more then what I had been prescribed just to get through the night. By the middle of the summer I couldn't go with out taking more by the end of the day. I was not a drug user and I didn't even realize what the problem was. Come to think about it now i don't think I felt there was a problem or that the addition of this drug was getting the best of me. I attempted suicide that summer, I took all the pills i could find in my house just soo i wouldn't feel that feel you get when you take effexor. I honstly dont think i aware i was even trying to kill myself, The next morning I woke up and i did not remember doing what i had done. I just felt very sick. My mother kept checking on me watching me and giving me more advil to take the fever down. For some reason I didnt take any more pills that morning i hid them in the couch. My mom came to check on me again when she noticed my eyes were shaking she knew i had done something wrong she asked me what i had done and All i knew was i wasn't feeling well. She screamed my fathers name! I was rushed to the hospital. My heart stopped! I was in the intensive care heart unit for one week and then they shipped me to the mental institute. I saw the same doctor for about 6 months after the overdose. I came to see him for one of my appointments and i asked him if i could go off effexor. He said that if i went off the treatment plan. He would no longer see me as a pachant. That day was the last day I used effexor and saw that doctor. The anger ecstatically worsed, hurting myself everyday i would scream and rage, these ummm like shocks would go through my body. I cant explain how dangerous this drug is, it is not right! And it needs to be STOPPED! I would say the withdrawl systems lasted years if not still to this day. It take serious willpower to overcome this addiction! And i am lucky today i am alive having felt like that.