I used to take effexor (not reularly) for hot flashes. My new doctor of 6 months said that I should be on 10MG of lexapro. My flashes are virtually gone however-I have felt very depressed lately-not suicidal but so low that I cannot feel happiness or hope very much. I have been on these pills for about 4 months now. I have suffered from mild chronic depression off and on for years but only recently began to feel this down. I don't know wheteher to stop and just accept that sometimes I will feel very blue or should I be on a different pill. As I said I ws taking Effexor before for teh hot flashes and had weaned myself years before that off anti depressants cause I felt I did not need them-the depression is not all the time. What to do now??

Talk to your doctor not the internet.

I noticed the comments from the lady with the hot flushes and also the short comment concerning consulting your doctor and not the internet. Interesting comments so I will quickly tell you my story.

I am suffering depression and anxiety. My doctor put me on effexor. It subdued the effects of the depression and anxiety but I felt I was a walking zombie feeling nothing, fatigued and lifeless.

After 12 months on Effexor the depression was getting worse. The anxiety was being kept in check. I recently saw a specialists and have dropped Effexor for Lexapro and haven't felt this good in ages.

Also I asked my doctor to do blood tests discovering my level of estrogen as significantly dropped so I am also on HRT.

Effexor is a SNRI inhibitor so it works on serotonin and norepinephrine. Lexapro is a SSRI working on serotonin only. My suggestion is see a doctor for a referral to a specialist only. Doctors are not able to properly diagnose in the areas of depression and anxiety.

Secondly, as we get older our level of DHEA hormone which moves or generates serontonin drops, so it is well worth having a thorough hormonal check and don't give up. I know a man who had severe depression for 12 years and they finally found he was very low in DHEA. He is now 100% and lecturing on depression and hormonal effects.

Also it is well worth trying natural remedies for hormonal issues. It is surprising how much depression can be a result of hormone issues.

I have been on Effexor XR for almost 5 years and am going through to full withdrawal to get off it so I can switch over to Lexapro and Abilify. I am hoping I am doing the right thing as this past month has been shear hell. I feel as if my finger is in an electrical outlet and my body is being shocked. I vibrate, shake, have hot flashes, cold flashes, brain zaps, cannot focus, loss of short term memory, etc. . After reading Sandy girls comments I have hope that this is the right move for me. Thanks.

10 mg of lexapro, is probably not going to cut it for you, in which case, the ideal dose of lexapro for major depression, is 20 mg, try that..a good phsychiatrist should know this..