Couldn't find what you looking for?


I have suffered with bad period for quite some times. Since I was 16 or so, I'm now 27. I am still a Virgin. There is a condition that runs in my family which I am not certain what it's called, but the women in my family all had to have hysterectomies because their periods were so bad. When I was younger, the doctor used an ultrasound machine to look at the right side where my ovaries are; that is the location of the pain. The doctors said they saw something the size of a pimple and they told my mother and myself that it was a cyst. They gave me pain medicine to help but it never really did much. I use the Medicine along with heating pads to try cope with the pain as best I could. I will say that when I was younger the pain was very bad, I am not sure if I have just adapted to the pain but it's not as bad, but it is still very painful. Some month are worse than others and usually it is only the first 2 or 3 days of my cycle. The flow is pretty heavy. I recently went to the Er to see what they could do but because I am a virgin, they did not do a Pap smear. I have never been to the gynecologist but the Er told me that thy have smaller tools to use that could help me so I wouldn't feel discomfort. I know that it is bad that I have never been but I do plan on making a trip very soon. The Er told me they could not see. Cyst with their ultra sound machine, but they said it sounds like I may have a condition called Endometriosis... She said it was likely I had this condition and she explained to me what it is and said the Gynecologist could help and suggest what would help me .... I wanted to give you some background information because the next question is what I was wondering about. I noticed that with my cycle, the pain in right side is bad during the first few days, and I noticed when the pain is very intense, I see a good amount of blood clots or pools of blood and it's kind of gross but when I use the restroom I can feel it coming out, I don't know if this makes sense... But is that something that happens with endometriosis? I also notice during the heavy flow at the beginning of my cycle if I strain or cough I see clumps or clots. Does this mean I have the endometriosis condition?


Hi there

All of the info that you posted relates to Endometriosis - the lining of uterus sheds every month during periods. Here is more info -

Endometriosis, sometimes called "endo," is a common health problem in women. It gets its name from the word endometrium, the tissue that normally lines the uterus or womb. Endometriosis happens when this tissue grows outside of your uterus and on other areas in your body where it doesn't belong.

Most often, endometriosis is found on the:

  1.         Ovaries
  2.         Fallopian tubes
  3.         Tissues that hold the uterus in place
  4.         Outer surface of the uterus

Other sites for growths can include the vagina, cervix, vulva, bowel, bladder, or rectum. Rarely, endometriosis appears in other parts of the body, such as the lungs, brain, and skin.

Symptoms of endometriosis can include:

    Pain. This is the most common symptom. Women with endometriosis may have many different kinds of pain. These include:

  1.         Very painful menstrual cramps. The pain may get worse over time.
  2.         Chronic (long-term) pain in the lower back and pelvis
  3.         Pain during or after sex. This is usually described as a "deep" pain and is different from pain felt at the entrance to the vagina when penetration begins.
  4.         Intestinal pain
  5.         Painful bowel movements or pain when urinating during menstrual periods. In rare cases, you may also find blood in your stool or urine.
  6.     Bleeding or spotting between menstrual periods. This can be caused by something other than endometriosis. If it happens often, you should see your doctor.
  7.     Infertility, or not being able to get pregnant.
  8.     Stomach (digestive) problems. These include diarrhea, constipation, bloating, or nausea, especially during menstrual periods.

Endometriosis can happen in any girl or woman who has menstrual periods, but it is more common in women in their 30s and 40s.

You might be more likely to get endometriosis if you have:

  •         Never had children
  •         Menstrual periods that last more than seven days
  •         Short menstrual cycles (27 days or fewer)
  •         A family member (mother, aunt, sister) with endometriosis
  •         A health problem that blocks the normal flow of menstrual blood from your body during your period

You can't prevent endometriosis. But you can reduce your chances of developing it by lowering the levels of the hormone estrogen in your body. Estrogen helps to thicken the lining of your uterus during your menstrual cycle.

To keep lower estrogen levels in your body, you can:

  1.         Talk to your doctor about hormonal birth control methods, such as pills, patches or rings with lower doses of estrogen.
  2.         Exercise regularly (more than 4 hours a week). This will also help you keep a low percentage of body fat. Regular exercise and a lower amount of body fat help decrease the amount of estrogen circulating through the body.
  3.         Avoid large amounts of alcohol. Alcohol raises estrogen levels. No more than one drink per day is recommended for women who choose to drink alcohol.
  4.         Avoid large amount of drinks with caffeine. Studies show that drinking more than one caffeinated drink a day, especially sodas and green tea, can raise estrogen levels

Besides birth control medications, there are surgical options as well -

Surgical treatment for endometriosis can be useful when the symptoms of endometriosis are severe or when there has been an inadequate response to medical treatment. Surgery is the preferred treatment when there is anatomic distortion of the pelvic organs or obstruction of the bowel or urinary tract. Surgical therapies for endometriosis may be either classified as conservative, in which the uterus and ovarian tissue is preserved, or definitive, which involves hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), with or without removal of the ovaries.

Conservative surgery is typically carried out by laparoscopy. Endometrial implants may be excised or obliterated by laser. If the disease is extensive and anatomy is distorted, laparotomy (opening of the abdominal wall via a larger incision) may be required.

While surgical treatments can be very effective in the reduction of pain, the recurrence rate of endometriosis following surgical treatment has been estimated to be as high as 40%. Many doctors recommend for women who have had surgery for endometriosis to take oral medications after surgery to help maintain symptom relief.

Talk to your doctor for available options. Good luck



Thank you soooo much. Well I need to make that visit and handle business. But the information you have given me has enlightening me a lot. More so than what the Er doctor gave me and now when I go to the gyno I can tell them a little more than what I was going to say. Again thank you