Hi. I am 48 and having some menopausal symptoms. This month I have had continuously very heavy bleeding for three weeks with no end in sight. Should I go get checked out now or just wait and see if it settles down over the next couple of months as the hormone thing adjusts? Is this amount of blood loss something to be concerned about? I am changing pads and tampons irregularly as I can go through several in an hour while passing large clots or go two hours at most without clots. Usually my periods are regular and last 4-5 days. I missed one period in Sept. but the periods resumed regularly in Oct. until last month when it was really light and short.
I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

These might be perimenopausal symptoms when the body is facing the first hormonal fluctuations. Are you experiencing any other symptoms besides menstrual? Perimenopausal symptoms may be as harsh as menopausal, so don’t be surprised if you start experiencing any of the following symptoms: mood changes, changes in sexual desire, difficulty in concentrating, headaches, night sweats, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, sleep disturbances, joint and muscle aches, extreme sweating, frequent urination, etc

As hormones are fluctuating, at some point estrogen levels may be high and you may experience symptoms similar to PMS but when the estrogen levels go down, you may end up with night sweats and hot flashes.

Although your bleeding could be associated with perimenopause, you should still have yourself checked. There are conditions that could be causing such prolonged bleedings and you should be examined by a gynecologist. Some of the possible conditions include cysts on ovaries, thyroid problems, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, etc
Uterine fibroids are benign growths in the uterus but if they grow large could cause strange symptoms. Endometriosis is a condition in which the uterine lining that grows during the lutheal phase, develops not only in your uterus but other organs as well. During periods, this lining that we expel as menstruation has no place to go if developed on ovaries, bowels or fallopian tubes and may cause problems.