I was using Lexapro for years. Everything was ok until I forgot to take the medication for few days. I felt really weird, my face was red and loud noises were very painful, not to mention the bright light. I was really worried about all of this and I talked to my doctor. He explained me that I have experienced withdrawal symptoms. Can I get more info about these symptoms?

Lexapro withdrawal symptoms can occur at any dosage and they can begin within eight hours of a missed dose. Sometimes they can last from one to eight weeks. Your doctor was right when he told you that you were experiencing withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms occur when the usage of the drug is stopped abruptly. Some of the most common withdrawal symptoms are sweating, fever, abdominal discomfort, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, headaches, insomnia, nausea, vomiting etc. One very disturbing antidepressant withdrawal symptom is hallucinations. Hallucinations can make the sufferer feel as if they are going crazy, unlike other physical and emotional effects of Lexapro withdrawal symptoms. What happens is that patients unwittingly become hooked on a drug that your doctor, by prescribing it, told you was ok. Also, weight gain and sexual dysfunction are very common side-effects of Lexapro. The best advice for you is to take Lexapro regularly, and talk to your doctor about switching to another drug.

I was on Lexapro for 7 months but after gaining 29 pounds and feeling depressed about my clothes not fitting I recently weaned off the medication. I have been off completely for two weeks. I suffer from eye twitching, itching all over my body, fatigue, depression, moodiness and headache. I am so glad to have made the decision to wean off- I would never suggest going off cold turkey. It is a great thing when you are off the deep end as I was after dealing with three deaths in the family in a 9 month span, a teenager who ran away and ended up in foster care, a boss who sexually harrassed his staff and clients (who I tried to report) and the potential loss of my job because of standing up to his antics....if anyone needed meds it was me. SO I do think Lexapro is good when you need it- for me it worked after three days and I was saved from being hospitalized. But now I am past the hard times and feel I can deal with the fallout on my own- it is the itching and twitching and sorrow that is hard to deal with. I think it is a little better each day. I hear it can take up to three months to get it out of your system and back to normal again, if there is such a thing as normal.

i went on lexapro because of my mother passing, then i tryed to come off and just cryed ALOT, then i told myself it was to soon. at times i feel like im losing my mind and no one get what im feeling. i Know im not crazy just dont know what to do know that ive been on this thing for a year. im scared of the withdrawls but im more scared of staying on the meds. can anyone understand or help?

I took 10 months to reduce my 2 medications. My problem is that now 6 months later I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms (sensitivity to sound & distracting noise in my head like when I taking Wellbutrin several years ago). I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this & what they did about the withdrawal effects.

I have been on Lexapro for 3 years now and have not gained any weight at all. From what I have heard Lexapro is one of the anti-depressants that is least likely to make you gain weight. I have researched this very well because I am a recovered anorexic therefore weight gain is not an option for me.

I noticed some withdrawal for about 1-2 weeks.. now they are completely gone... i mainly had what felt like shocks in my head and some dizziness.

I To have had shocks now for three days stright and today is the worst. I tappered off Lexapro but when I was down to my lowest and last dose I started to feel the withdrawal symptoms so I went ahead and stopped taking it. I wonder how long the shocking feelings will last because they are very scary and interfear with everyday life and driving. Thank you for everyones input you don't always get the truth from doctors.

I was on Lexapro for a little over two years and just found out that I am pregnant. Before I became pregnant I tried to get my doctor to help me stop taking the medication and she insisted that I stay on it. Whenever I tried to stop taking it myself I would withdraw really bad and would tell my doctor about it and she said that you can not withdraw from it. Pretty much every doctor I have talked to has tried to convince me that I can't withdraw from it. I think it was a huge mistake to ever take Lexapro to begin with. The hardest part for me is when I found out I was pregnant I called the doctor and she said that Lexapro is dangerous in pregnancy so I just had to stop taking the medication immediately. I researched Lexapro and its effects on the baby and it can cause major heart problems which is really scary. I would have to say the worst symptom I feel is the strange feeling in my head and the tiny electric volts. I guess at this point no doctor will help me and I just have been suffering through these horrible symptoms. I would NEVER reccommend Lexapro to anyone. :-( Has anyone gotten any useful information from their doctor on avoiding withdrawl?

Doctors aren't the ones to ask because the pharmacy companies are paying them to give us this drug with little or no information on their part. They could care less what it could do all they want to know is what it's for and how much money they get for every prescription they write.

Have not one of you every asked, why when they are drugs that have been on the market for over 20 or 30 years doctors choose to give us the medicine with the least amount of testing.

Money.

It's about money people an that's why now I only demand the oldest drugs or one's with extensive testing.

I took lexapro while I was pregnant. 38 y/o female whith 2 active boys. this was not an option. My dr said their were no studies to suggest anything of this nature; heart problems etc, harming the child. I'm 41 and have a healthy smart baby girl. I wouldn't have done it any other way. Lexapro, is great. I'm currently off and on a low dose bc. 41 in perimenopause a few funny withdrawels but nothing too bad. I recommend this to anyone. Thanks

I am now tapering off 10 mgs lexapro after being on it for 1 year and nine months for anxiety. I have gained 45 lbs, I have always been able to eat normal and stay at a normal weight before this, 9 months ago I stopped taking lexapro for about 2 weeks because I couldn't handle the weight gain, I started to feel awful, dizzy and swooshing feelings when I turned my head, I went into my doctor after 2 weeks of continued side affects of being off lexapro. I expressed my concern of the weight gain(at that time 30 lbs) she assured me the lexapro did NOT cause it, she suggested it was me getting older, I was 27 at the time, and also she said the feelings I was having were not side affects, they were anxiety, she told me I could try to stay off of it an do talk therapy or go back on it or something else, I wanted to try something that didn't cause weight gain but she said that none are better than lexapro so I went back on it, the side affects stopped.(I switched doctors after that, I think she is full of it) The weight gain continued, I now feel it may not stop and I don't want to be 50 lbs overweight any more, I am tapering off now, for 7 days I cut the pills in half and took 5mgs, then next 7 days I have been taking 2.5 mg, I am just about ready to stop, I have had no side affects so far but am scared the will start now. I am wondering if I will lose the weight being off lexapro, I have read that some people have trouble losing it even after stopping the lexpro.

After I lost my insurance my Lexapro went to about $100 per bottle. I had to stop cold turkey since it was out of my price range. I have been on Lexapro for about 6 months and it has been a painful experience getting off. The withdrawal symptoms have been like tiny shocks/ spasms in my brain, I have vivid dreams at night when I can fall asleep, light is extremely bright to the point that I sometimes wear sunglasses at night, I've sat in my room and cried for hours not sure if I am becoming depressed again or if it's the stress from the withdrawal. I feel disoriented and fast movements make me sick. Turning my head to check my "blind spot" while driving gives me an instant but short headache but leaves the disoriented feeling. While out people will notice that I am blinking alot and looking disoriented- this is resulting from feeling of my brain feeling like it is floating and being struck by lightning at the same time.

I never thought that this would happen since I wasn't warned about it from my doctors. I had tried to get off a couple of months ago and I felt odd enough that I called my doctor and told him I could not get off and that I needed another prescription. It was called in and no questions were asked to why I wanted to get off in the first place or why I felt I HAD to get back on.

If you are reading this before you start taking the medication as "research" then I advise to not take Lexapro or any medication unless you are in dire need of it. I was happy while on it (although I did gain about 10lbs) but eventually all of us will get off and it really is not worth going through weeks of painful (emotional and physical) withdrawal. If we all pace ourselves, eat healthy, in many cases we can cure ourselves.

I am feeling terrible going through these withdrawals from lexapro...i can't believe they give this sh*t to us.

I am having the same exact withdrawal symptoms as BridgetJ. I've been on 20 mgs of Lexapro for nine months. Last time I got a refill a bottle cost me $275.00 because of a change in our health insurance!!!! So I quit cold turkey. Its been 10 days and I feel like there are sparklers going off in my brain. When I turn my head I feel an electrical zap. I am extremely light and noise sensitive. I am red in the face and having hot flashes. I am also irritable, but sheesh, who wouldn't be with all the electrical racket going on in my brain. BECAUSE the withdrawal symptoms are so svere I am convinced to continue cold turkey with this and get it over with.
Can anyone who has previously posted about their withdrawal symptoms post a follow-up and tell me how they are progressing? I'm just wondering how long I have to put up with this! >;)