Hi there,

I'm on 10 mgs. of Lexapro a day. I find it extremely difficult to loose weight now. When I was on paxil, I gained 20 or more pounds....was put on Lexapro to help lose it. Is there any anti-anxiety drug that doesn't have this side effect? If so, which one? Can I cut down on the Lexapro to get the same help....or is it just trial by error?

This medication helped me feel better immediately BUT I put on pounds which meant I was depressed, angry and anxious over the weight gain. I have stopped the Lexapro after 1 year, only mild side effects and began Wellbutrin xl. The weight WILL NOT come off! I do not recommend LEXAPRO to anyone unless they want to gain weight!

Hello. What a dilemma. I began taking lexapro on August 9,2006, the day after I found out my boyfriend of 8 years had been involved with someone else. I initially took it, along with Clonapin, to help me function after this devastating realizations. I own a business and didn't get out of bed the first day, so I needed something. I didn't want my business to suffer as a result. My doctor actually told me to expect significant weight loss (at least 15 pounds in the first few weeks). I only took the Clonapin on severe days when I felt I could not go on but increased the Lexapro daily from 5 mg to 10mg. I am currently still on the 10 mg. Even though I have gotten past the intial devastating event was the original reason, I found the Lexapro made a big difference is many other areas of life and I am much happier now. Unfortunately, I've gone from 150 pounds (I'm 5'9") to 175 in these past 5 months. I will not go back to being miserable and will try as hard as I can to overcome this weight issue while still taking Lexapro. thanks

Having taken Lexapro for over 2 years now (10 mg/day), I have only now come to the realization that my weight gain has to have been caused by it. It's such a shame though, because it has helped my anxiety enormously, and I feel like a normal person in that regard. However, I'm not sure if that's worth screwing with my metabolism. Last year, I gained at least 20 pounds over the course of a few months, which is very unusual for an active, healthfully eating 19 year old male. Although I've counteracted my weight gain by going to the gym religiously for the past couple months every day and now am closer to what I looked like before I started on Lexapro, I am definitely not how I looked two years ago. My stretch marks can attest to that. Unfortunately, I've heard before that Lexapro could cause weight gain, and although it's downplayed by the manufacturer, I believe think it's more common than some physicians let on. As a result, I'm going to taper my dosage until I stop with it completely and look to non-medicinal forms of therapy. While I'm concerned about the withdrawal, I'm more concerned about my long-term physicial health, and I want to normalize my metabolism once again. Antidepressants just seem to have too many risks attached to them. Make sure you research EVERYTHING this drug before you take it -- the side-effects have been underestimated.

How depressing!I just turned 40 had alot of stress in my life so I needed something to help me make it through the day and through life as we know it! I started taking Lexapro 10 months ago.My eating habits didn't change but my weight started to go up.I started to watch what I eat knocked out all of the sodas and I am still gaining weight.Everything is diet or lite everything.I excersize and work on my feet and legs all day long.Still no loss.I am 5 ft 9 in and went from 155 lbs. to 182 lbs. and I feel bigger and bigger every day.I am an 20mgs of Lexapro but I am weening myself off of it by taking half every 2 to 3 days.I get very dizzy if I don't take it.If anyone knows a better trick to losing weight before the summer I would love to hear it.I feel so horrible.I have had to buy all new clothes and I havent lost 1 lb! I really regret taking the Lexapro.I can deal with the day to day problems now because I am so focused on losing the weight now that I forgot what the hell I was so damned depressed about in the first place! :( p.s. Stopped smoking too! Chantix try it it works!

Dannyboy,

I've had the exact same experience with Lexapro as you have, and agree it is such a shame, as it took away the lightheadedness I was experiencing. My Dr. repeatedly tells me that the weight gain is NOT caused by the Lexapro and is blaming it on my age, 46, (female) when metabolism slows. The timing of starting the Lexapro and my FAST weight gain make me disagree. Each time I'd go to the Dr., I'd consistently be up a few lbs; now I'm up over 30 lbs in less than 2 yrs.. I totally agree with you that the weight gain is caused by Lexapro, and it's more common than the physicians let on. Check out how many others on this site are reporting the same thing; we should get our Drs. to view these reports!

To the 40 year old "guest." I am 40 and have been on Lexapro for a year. I take 20 mg and have also experienced a weight gain of about 16 pounds. Though I am not terribly conscious of it, I do want to lose the weight. I have gone up two sizes in clothes, I don't feel as physically fit as I use to, and I'm starting to experience other physical ailments due to the weight gain. I am 5'11" and went from 200 to 216 within about four months. though I know some of my weight gain has to do with my getting older, less active, and, quite frankly, not as worried about it. The latter two reasons, I believe, are actually the reasons and that didn't start happening until I started the meds. I am seriously thinking of coming off. I am also experiencing more mood swings, indecisiveness, lack of esteem.

I agree with the other posts and gaining weight on lexapro. I gained 20 pounds in 4 months. I stop taking lexapro on my own since I was really better and no longer depressed. Now I'm upset about the weight gain. I'm going for blood work to see what is wrong etc.. I was in bed for months and didn't gain an ounce, I go on lexapro and become more active and pack on the pounds. I'm tired of hearing your 44 and getting old stuff..no way I believe it's the medication. I'm going to push having my tests of cortisol levels. Which I also believe were screwed up by lexapro!

There is no doubt that taking Lexapro has significantly changed my metabolism. I was taking it for about a year (10mg) and gained about 20 pounds. I stopped around April of 2007 and by July had lost almost all of those pounds. I do exercise but I did not change my exercise or eating habits while on/off Lexapro. Unfortunately, I found that I really do need the other benefits of Lexapro and started taking it again in late August. I am back up almost 15 pounds. I have not changed my eating and in fact have significantly increased my exercise. There is no doubt in my mind that Lexapro has a big impact on my metabolism. The problem is it works great for my depression and anxiety. Wish I could change this one side effect!

I am glad, I stopped by and read all your responses. Now, I feel not alone in my dilema about taking 20 mg of lexapro and gaining weight. Although, unlike most of you, I started with Chantix in Feb 2007 and took it for 2 months. Then I slowly discontinued the chantix over a 2week period. Shortly after this, I was put on Lexapro to assist with my pre menopausal symptoms. All this time, I gained weight and could not figure out why. I did not change my eating habit, nor my excercise program until I ended up with 162LBS from 115LBS in a duration of 10 months. At this point, it is difficult for me to excercise because I can not move as good as before and I am always out of breath. Amazing, my doctor still has not been a very good help in assisting me with the issue of weightgain. Guess now I have to slowly discontinue Lexapro in hopes that I may loose some weight.

I am glad to hear I am not the only one with this side effect. I was on Lexapro for 15 months, and I have gained 25 pounds. I am very active as I have four children. I have weaned myself off and I am hoping that the weight will start to come off. Doctors realy need to warn people abou the amount of weight they might gain.

Thank goodness I am not the only one who has gained weight with Lexapro. I can't understand how doctors can't find the validity in people saying it is due to the Lexapro. I was proud of myself losing 25 extra pounds after the birth of my daughter. However coping with being a parent and trying to work full time lead me to taking Lexapro. I feel great on it, but the weight is creeping up and up. Now I am two pounds away from where I was when I gave birth to my daughter. I want to get off of it so bad, but I am scared to when I read all of the messages about brain zaps and freezes. I wish my doctor would have told me this before I started taking it. Although, it is my own fault for not doing the research and just accepting the drug.

I can't believe this. I am sitting here angry that I did not research this. I have been on 10 mg of Lexapro for 2 years. My weight has increased by 30 pounds during that time. My doctor also told me my metabolism would change in my 40's ( I am 44) but this is ridiculous. I can have a couple bad days and gain 3-4 pounds. I am going off this product now. I do believe it has helped me emotionally but my situation has changed so I feel I am fine without it. NOW I need to lose this weight!! Ugh. Thanks for all your comments, they have made the decision for me.

So I've been taking Lexapro for over a year now and have gained significant weight for my small frame. I am only 23 and 5'1. When I started Lexapro I wore a size 0-2 and was 100 pounds. I am now 115 pounds and wear a size 4-6. I had to give away all of my clothes and I while I feel that Lexapro has helped my anxiety emensley I feel my self esteem has lowered due to the weight gain. Today is day 3 of the "no Lexapro" routine and I feel like someone is shaking me violently every 3-5 minutes. It goes away, and then comes right back.

Any suggestions? And will the weight go away?!

I've been on Lexapo (10 mg) for about two years because of my panic attacks. I have gained close to 30lbs. I've tried losing it and have always watched what I eat, but nothing helps take the weight off. THIS is causing me anxiety! I feel like a blimp, so I've stopped taking it on my own. It's been three days and the only side effects I've had is a bad headache today. It helped me alot with the panic attacks and I'm hoping I will be able to calm myself now without having to take it. Wish me luck.