This post is an extension of the

Lexapro and weight gain thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I am so glad I found this site. I have been taking 10mg of lexapro forabout 7 months for hotflashes and insomnia for over a year. I chose not to do hrt. within 2 weeks on lex I was sleeping through the night and minimal flashes. I am small 5' and 129lbs. I work out 3x week and walk 3miles the other 4 days. I eat right. I have gained in the last 2 months around10lbs!!! Never thought it was the drug. No matter what I do I keep gaining. I will be going to dr. and ask to be weaned off. Hope I still can sleep and minimal flashes. i feel like a COW at almost 140lbs.

8-| I am definitely going to start tapering off the drug after reading these posts. I started taking the drug for menopause symptoms----being "bitchy"--lol--was my main concern--towards my family---major anxiety---- nd I must say the drug works wonderfully. But...I have gained 12-14 pounds in one year. I am 37 years old (menopause is due to having total hysterectomy) I have always been small my whole life--125 lbs.----and I now have constant carb cravings, and I dont fill full very long. I can out eat my husband now!!!! I have been depressed as of late because of the weight gain--then the depression causes me to feel hopeless and I eat more. What a vicious cycle. Thank you everyone for your posts---I feel better now knowing others are struggling also---I am tapering off the drug starting tonight.

I had been on lexapro before, but I was also put on Topamax at the same time. Topamax typicallyl makes those who take it lose weight. So, I lost weight while I was on it last. Now I've been put on lexapro aga in and zonisamide... (I didn't want to take Topamax because it made my hair fall out and I felt like a zombie the entire time I was on it.) I was put on these meds for Depression and Bulimia... why the hell would you prescribe something that would cause weight gain to a bulimic?!

I had been layed off in 2003 and due to axiety was put on lexapro and have been on ever sense. I am a competitive body builder who before was able to get in the low single digit bodyfat ranges, I started my contest prep this year and usaually I loose 1-3 pounds of water/fat a week and have not been I came down from 212 to 204 in about 5 weeks. I thought it might be the lexapro and now due to what I have read believe it. I will ween off and stay off till the end of my diet in June

I feel like I need to write a positive post and let people know that there is hope!!! After almost 4 yrs on 10mg of Lexapro I went from 130 lbs to 180 lbs. Same story as everyone else, I couldn't lose the weight no matter what I did. After much frustration and humiliation, October 2008 I began to slowly ween myself off the Lexapro. (terrible withdrawal symptoms, but nothing compared to how much I hated being fat) By January 2009 I was completely off the medicine. By the end of January my withdrawal symptoms had stopped. And by mid February 2009 the weight FINALLYYYYYY started to come off!!! I am doing a combination of weight watchers, taking Alli (ask your doctor about it, it's actually safe and effective), and a steady(but not extreme) work-out routine. Today is March 17, 2009 and I am 162 lbs and still steadily losing!!!!! I am sooo happy and proud of myself. Not only for the weight loss, but also bc I am learning to live with my anxiety on my own, drug-free. There is so much more life and excitement to me that I had forgotten about. I cannot recommend this for everyone, but for me, it has worked. I wish the best for everyone out there and urge you all to be your own health advocate. There were many doctors along the way that told me I just ate too much and needed to work out more, etc. And also many that just wanted to try me on many more meds. I listened to my heart, and I feel better than I have in years.

I have been on 30 mg for over 2 years, and went from a nice and curvy 150 lbs (at 5'7"), to over 185 lbs! I think that the depression from the weight gain is worse than what I was going through before I started the mads. I haven't taken it in three days, and have no withdrawal symptoms! Wish me luck! Maybe I'll be able to kick it cold turkey and be in bikini shape by the summer!

Hi..I'm 37 and was put on Lexapro 10 mg. in May 2005.....I started out at 130 lbs. which is my ideal weight and now I am 160 lbs. :-( So I totally understand the weight gain thing you guys are talking about......I only have one suggestion.....if you decide to wean off of this medicine, take it slowly..very slowly.......I made the mistake last year of stopping cold turkey and what a mistake.....the brain zaps and dizziness were insane..and I got so depressed that they upped me to 20 mg. %-) I think the reason I got in such bad shape is because I made the mistake of going online and looking up all the possible things that could happen to me as I stopped taking it and naturally in my mind..I developed them all and self introspected to ridiculous levels.....I am now back on 10 mg...I am currently weaning but am going to be much smarter about it this time......I went from 20 mg......to 15 mg.. for about 35 days....now I've been on 10mg. for about 40 days....my next step will be 5 mg. in about 10 more days....whatever you do...take it slow...keep yourself busy...and don't let the physical withdrawal symptoms scare you so bad like I did.....plus if you take it slow and steady they probably won't be near as bad anyway....good luck to those who are hoping to wean off. :-D

I have been on Lexapro for 2 years, I recently noticed I put on 20 lbs, I tried everything possible to lose weight and cant lose anything. I am about to start coming off the medication. I spoke to my Doctor and he said Lexapro can cause weight gain.

I started taking Lexapro in 2007 and by 2008 I was tottaly fat I went from a size 8 to a size 14. I have been going to the gym for a long time and working out an hour 4-5 days a week and I tottaly watch what I eat and now I am a size 12 but still it's really hard to get the weight I gained while on Lexapro off. I stopped taking it cold turkey and it sucked ass but I have been off of it for a while like a year. I am 5"9 and 165 and it's so hard to stay positive about eating right and going to the gym everymorning I feel like I should just stop eating ahahah. I hope that my weight will get back to 140. I am still sad sometimes but I think the excercise helps. People tell me I am not fat but it's how I feel... I can't wear any of my clothes and I can't even shop anymore cause I get sad about buying a plus size. I am trying to put things in perspective and appriciate my life and hopefully the weight will eventually go away if not I am just going to be cool and be a plus size model!

Guest wrote:

Good for you. Cold Turkey is the only way I go. It hasn't been that bad with Lexapro, but a NIGHTMARE when I did it with Paxil. Unfortunately, the site I got info on about Paxil withdrawal has the same people from 2002 still trying to "wean" off it. The side effects suck, but they are over in a matter of weeks. The longer you stay on these type of meds, the harder they are to get off of. Be prepared to handle the bad side effects, if they come, because it's worth it.
.
Despite eating a strict and healthy 1200 calorie diet every day, and doing a combo of running/walking 6miles per day, EVERY day, I have gained fifteen ugly pounds. Lexapro definitely affects your metabolism.

I did gain 25 on Paxil, and it was hideous to stop. I was on 60 mg per day I was on 10 of Lexapro, so I think I will bounce back pretty fast. I was able to lose the Paxil weight pretty easily, so there is hope.

I really worry about the people here who are weaning so slowly off this drug. Talk to your doctor, and try to get off it as fast as medically possible. Don't fear the side effects. They are inescapable, but manageable. Don't go back to taking it. Stay strong.

Good luck to all.

I am so glad I checked out this site! I just saw a new Dr because of a multitude of things,mainly no energy and being very depressed. She suggest that I go see a psychologist/psychiatrist (I'm not sure which one she really said) anyways.....she also gave me samples of Lexapro. I asked before she gave them if they would cause weight gain because when I was on Welbutrin XL and Paxil in the past (both at the same time) I gained at least 30 pounds. She said not usually. Well I see after reading these posts that it does. The main reason I am depressed to begin with is the fact that I am over weight and have no energy! Which is why I dont go anywhere or do anything because I just look hideous in anything I wear. Why on earth would I want to take something thats going to make me gain more weight?! SOO that being said, what can I take that will help with the depression and the weight gain? Please help.

It's very hard losing the weight that you gain while on Lexapro. I was 122 lbs and by the time I stopped the Lexapro I was 157 lbs. After weaning myself off the Lexapro, I started doing some weight lifting and resistance training. Then I added running/jogging to the workout. I started jogging just a half mile for 5 days a week, then I worked up to jogging 2 miles, five days a week - while maintaing the weight lifting workouts 3 days per week. Two months later and I've finally dropped weight and I'm feeling very good at 140 lbs. Calorie intake was another thing I watched - I wouldn't allow myself to go over 1500 calories a day and I started taking B Complex supplements too - I think they helped to kickstart my metabolism back up to where it needed to be.

Lexapro was good at first, but the weight gain is like nothing I've ever experienced. It was next to impossible to lose weight while taking the medication.

I have been on lexapro 10 mg and HRT for 3 yrs. I had cancer and they took my ovaries at age 36. I went from a size 6 to size 12. I have gained almost 40 pounds. I have been doing boot camp two days a week yoga and pilates 3 days a week and watching my diet and have not lost a pound. I'm going to wean myself off the lexapro this month and see what happens. need to stay on the HRT..hot flashes and bone loss etc. Let you know what happens...

today is my first day on the medicine and i already feel it helping me but i am now worried about the weight gain! i am very active with a rediculous high metabolism and i am only 15. im 5'4 and 110 and is it possible not to gain weight on the drug?