My Daughter and best friend took Lexapro for 3 months. Her Doctor put her on this drug strarting out at 10 Mg. after the first month he increased
this to 20 Mg. After the increase in dosage she began to not care- she just
wanted to go away - she could not take care of herself or her children. She was also prescribed 10 mg. of Ativan along with this Lexapro- She took 14 Ativans in less than an eight hour period which totaled to the following drugs in her system was 20 mg. of Lexapro and 140 mg. of Ativan. She was placed in the hospital , in which they kept her drugged
with sleeping medications the whole time she was there. When she got
out after 4 days- she abruptly stopped taking both medicines Lexapro and
the Ativan. She had flu like symptoms at first- excessive talking - but now
she wants to help the world, to let everyone know that they need to enjoy
everything- she says God wants her to do this. She dyed her hair blond and says she wants to be a kid again and to have fun. Is this the side effect of going off of this medicine Cold Turkey or is she perhaps suffering from a mental breakdown?

In reference to the mom whose daughter was hospitalized and then came out of the hospital, off medication and wanting to be a teenager and feeling that she is receiving messages from God - while sometimes people who have been on medication that is too strong for them feel very positive once it is out of their system - distinct and significant personality shifts or changes very often point to the fact that there may be some problems. I have a family member who still has not been definitely diagnosed, but when off medication has very strong religious affects and hears God. They have never been harmful to anyone but it can manifest into a psychotic episode or break because chemicals in the brain are not working correctly. Keep a close watch on your daughter and don't be afraid to challenge her on her actions. If she becomes extremely defensive and won't try to understand your concerns for her - it may be time to intervene more aggressively so that she gets help before it gets to a point that it's difficult to handle. As hard as this may be, it's just like loving someone with a disease like diabetes - often times the person is in denial and loved ones have to help them get and stay healthy. Best wishes to you and your family.

No, your daughter isn't going crazy. And shame, shame, shame on the doctor who prescribed your daughter ANOTHER pill to mask the side effects of Lexapro. Very dangerous and very careless.

I'm a nurse, but also took Lexapro, 20mg for nearly 3 years. July 2006, I tapered from 20mg to 5mg and it was a living hell. Itching, tremors, high blood pressure, heart palpitations and that's not even counting the horrendous emotional issues. Crying, hysteria, paranoia, suicidal thoughts, self cutting and basically not caring if I lived or died. I was NEVER this type of person. Ever. I am still on 5 mg because I can't get off. I've tried, but the side effects mentioned above come back with a vengence. I'm trying to taper, but by the forth day, I get dizzy and begin to lose my sanity. Damn this Lexapro.

Keep an eye on your daughter. She's not in her right mind, even now. She may not be for at least 6 months. It's NOT her fault. It's this horrible drug. Please let her now that.

I AM SO SICK. I HAVE BEEN TAKING 20 MG OF LEXAPRO, 300 MG OF WEELBUTRIN AND 500 MG OF DEPAKOTE. I FOUND THAT I BECAME A VERY LOW FUNCTIONING INDIVIDUAL. I COULD NOT WAKE UP IN THE MORNINGS AND COULD NOT COMPLETE SIMPLE TASKS. I AM ALSO ABOUT TO BECOME A NURSE AND HAVE NOTICED THAT DURING APPLICATION PROCESSES, IT IS OFTENED ASKED WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE TAKING MEDS FOR MENTAL DISORDERS. I MADE THE DECISION TO DISCONTINUE ALL OF THE MEDS. I HAVE BEEN OFF OF THEM FOR ABOUT 1 WEEK AND HAVE EXPERIENCED NUMBNESS AND TINGLING ALL OVER, I HAVE ALSO NOTICED THAT ONE MINUTE I FEEL GRAT AND THE NEXT I FEEL LIKE I AM COMING OUT OF MY SKIN. CRYING, VOMMITING, CONFUSION. AM I GOING TO DIE?????

I have been on Lexapro for aprox. 3 years. I feel that the medication has helped me a lot from my mild-moderate depression that came on after many drastic changes took place in my life with my husbands health and injury. I agreed when discussing how stressed out with my Dr. that it would be a good idea to go on something to help me. Ive been on it and never had any problems UNTIL the past few days. I didn't even realize that I was experiencing withdrawal problems at the time, but tonight after doing a bit of research online and this site as well as a few others, I realize that how I have been feeling are without a doubt a result of stopping my Lexapro. What happened is that I live on a fixed income and even though insurance pays for my medication, the co-pay is sometimes difficult to come up with. 2 weeks ago when I didnt have the money to refill my med I simply went without it cold turkey. At first I didnt experience any adverse symptoms and even considered just not taking it anymore. Then the bottom fell out.

The past few days I have felt awful. Ive experienced the muscle aching (to a point that I feel that I have to take Tylenol just to get some relief) I feel so 'tense' but at the same time I am so run-down and lethargic & lifeless feeling. Last night I went to bed at 9 pm and didnt get out of the bed until 2pm the following afternoon. I had sweating that was enough to drench my hair. I am not the jovial fun loving person that I normally am - I have no desire to do anything, yet Im sick of laying in the bed. So I refilled my med this afternoon and started back on it. Does anyone know how long it should take before I start feeling better? (it cant be too soon to suit me)

I particularily wanted to ask this question because I have not seen anyone else mention it - but has anyone had a particular food or flavor craving? It's the strangest thing. I seem to want anything that has a vinegar taste to it. Sea Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips - Balsamic Vinegarette Salad Dressing. I cant seem to get my fill of vinegar flavor! Is that not strange? Am I the only one that has experienced this - and if so what foods/flavor did you crave? Im curious about this vinegar thing.

I came to this site also looking for answers about why lexapro has so many side affects once you come off of it. I have been taking medication for over ten years because of depression. I have decided to stop taking medications because I want to be able to feel my soul again. No one really understands what these drugs actually do, and what the long term affects are. The mind can heal itself, it just has to make new paths that connect the old ones. I think sometimes this is a very painful process. When people come off of medication they start to experience their soul again, which can take some time getting used to. I think that it is just best to be patient with people and try to learn from what they might be going through. God knows we all go through a lot, some more than others. Hang in there everyone who is coming off medication, it takes time. What seems to be helping me the best is getting excersize, eating good food, and asking the lord to help me through it.

nope its normal for yourself to feel good about your self after detoxing i didnt die my hair but started enjoying life me 33 grabed my skateboard i havent touche since i was 18 it was awsome to be a kid again(;

I am coming off of lexapro 5 mg which my gynecologist prescribed for
menopausal symtoms such as hot flashes, anxiety, mood swings...it really does work! He said it is prescribed for women who have breast cancer and are going thru menopause and can't take estrogen; however, now i'm thru menopause and want to get off of lexapro. I want to find my soul again...lexapro really numbs your soul to spiritual things...i had no desire to pray or read my Bible; I no longer had meaningful quiet times with the Lord and I've really missed that. I am a high anxiety-type person and am a little nervous about going off of the drug; I have been slowly weaning myself off of it and am having some hot flashes and an increased heart rate; I am a runner and I try to run 4-5 days a week to keep the endorphins up! I haven't experienced what people call the "brain freeze"...not sure exactly what that is? I had a pharmacist tell me that the first two days of being off of lexapro were the most critical...after that, I shouldn't have a problem!! I think I need to share this website with her!

I am on 5mg every other day. I have had weight gain and extreme pains in my hand and arms that I've never had before. What's up with that?

I was on lexapro for one month. It totally eliminated my anxiety and depression but I was so lethargic I could've slept all day and night no problem. I couldn.t clean my house or anything. So my dr. switched me to budeprion sr(generic wellbutrin sr) I took the lexapro for one week with the budeprion then stopped taking it cold turkey. I was ok for 2 days then hell broke loose, I was so edgy I almost couldn't stand it for one week. Then that stopped and the dizzyness and subtle brain zaps started. Its hard to say whether some of it may have been starting budeprion and some of it from the lexapro withdrawal. I feel pretty good now except for a very subtle brain zappy kind of feeling. I woul say the withdrawal lasted 1 week.

I have been on Lexapro 10mg since October 08 it has helped me so much as i was practically suicidal after my dad died suddenly.I know have my life together and really want to come off it as it has affected my sex life a lot with my husband.He is very understanding but its causing a strain that i don't need on our marriage.I feel better on it and am afraid of going back to the way i was before but tomorrow im going to start halfing my tablets wish me luck

Well I have had serious anxiety/depression since the end of my high school years (I am in my late 20's now) and had seen many therapists and whatnot...and finally found one that I felt comfortable with, I was prescribed 20 mg of Lexapro along with Vistaril as a sleeping aid. Being that I am an addict, and have been addicted to everything from cocaine, alcohol, opiates, marijuana, and benzos I was sent to doctors who dealt with addicts and could not prescribe anything with any addictive qualities.
I have tried things like Xanax and Klonopin but they are addictive...and I have a VERY addictive personality so I only ended up abusing them and in actuality when they are abused for a certain amount of time they can actually make someone with anxiety/depression even worse.
Lexapro and vistaril helped me extremely. I felt great and had energy to work, socialize, and didn't feel so weighed down all the time. I've never experienced any of the "withdrawal" symptoms explained above from not taking Lexapro. The only thing I felt once I stopped was the slow return of my panic attacks and depression from not being treated properly. Unfortunately, the place I had been going to administers drug tests regularly and I had relapsed so I could not return and have been off of Lexapro for about 4 months now. To relieve any anxiety, I drink and use OxyContin, Percocet, Vicodin, and Ambien.
I personally feel that if any of those horrible side effects are occurring from the use or discontinuing use of Lexapro you could have possibly been prescribed the wrong drug. Everyone is chemically different...and you should definitely discuss any of those side effects with your doctor and maybe suggest the possibility of trying a new drug. I had to go through my few months of experimenting to see which drug was right for me and I felt that Lexapro worked wonders for me.
I'm currently in the process of looking for a new doctor. Also I am being mandated to enter a rehab again by my job. So hopefully once I take care of that business I can start treating my anxiety/depression and hopefully this time I will stay on track and it will be with Lexapro.

i also have stopped taking lexapro 20mg not for ant other reason than i was so disorganized that i forgot to go to the doctor for a refill!!!! the side affects for me were extrme tiredness migraine and like another person mentioned brain zaps these for me were the scariest not knowing what was happening to my body was pretty frightening. i dont mind not being able to feel my soul as long as im not livung in the black doom i felt iwas living in before i started this medication.

I took one lexapro10Mg and had a very bad reaction to it. I had taken one pill three weeks before and did not have a bad reaction-it made me feel serious. This one gave me butterflies in my stomach, and I was unable to concentrate. I also got brain zaps when sleeping.
Then I became impulsive, over-reacted to criticism, and sent some emails which ruined my chances of getting a job offer. Apparently it masked the depression caused by klonopin withdrawal and my life situation. This is very bad, because in order to do the right thing to get the job, I actually needed the depression so I would be afraid to act out of line. Instead the lexapro made me feel overconfident, and I hurt the hiring person's feelings by going over her head. It also masked my feelings, so I was not a caring person. I really needed to get over the damge caused by thr klonopin withdrawal(Lost 2 jobs, sold my condominium, etc.). Now I am in bad condition again when this job would have put me back on my career path, elevate my station in life, etc. Now I am lexapro free, my feelings are back, I want to be caring; however, everything I was fighting for(a job, friends, a new place to live, a new car)has been takn away. What do I do? I am 66 years old and this job would have been a wonderful opportunity. I was well liked by everyone, especially the hiring person, and I was sure to get the job were it not for my emails. And now so many other people are out of jobs-I do not understand how a pill could block me from getting what I wanted and needed for my family. I was given a free sample by a nurse practitoner when I was tring to get over one of my job losses. Apparently she did not know the effects of these drugs, and should not hand them out like candy. I feel sorry for my 28 year old son, who on the brink of manhood, has to live in a broken down house, and I do not have much money. I would have found someone for hom to marry, if I had the job. It was well paying and had good social contacts. This drug should not be given out for frefree-it is too easy to fall victim to it. As far as I am concerned, it has poisoned me and ruined my life and my family's lives-just one 20mg pill-perhaps marked with the wrong strength or formulated wrong.

I've been taking Lexapro for the past two years and it has done wonders in my life! I've had really bad panic attacks since my parents split and on top of that OCD. My docter put me on 5mg of lexapro and I felt soo much better!! But I've decided that I am going to try to get into the Air Force and I can't be on any meds, so for the past 3 weeks I've been weaning off of it, with my Drs help, and it's hard. I'm not addicted, but ever since I started taking it every 3 days, I can't get to sleep and I stand up and almost fall over because of dizziness. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to have to be on it so that I can live my life... I just wish it was easier. But my advice: never EVER try cold turkey! That will mess you up more than just weaning off of it, trust me...