I have been taking Trazodone for 4 years for stress related insomnia.  I decided to quit after almost dying the other night. I drank three stella beers with my friend Paul- came home and 8:30 then took my 100 MG Trazodone at 11:00 pm.. About 20 minutes into falling asleep in my backbedroom.  I woke up unable to breath and was in complete respiratory depression mode. My wife came out of the other room and gave me a glass of water. For the past three nights I have had horrible anxiety while trying to go to bed.  I am getting off as much caffeine and hoping I can start sleeping through the night.  I might have to go back on Paxil or something if my self medicating doesn't work.  Since being on Trazodone I have gained 30 lbs.  I am hoping with the new year I can get off this stuff for good.

I'm sorry but I really had to comment on this. I have been taking trazodone "as needed" for over 7 years. One of the first things I was told about this medication and pretty much every medication I have ever taken is AVOID ALCOHOL they tell people this because of the possible fatal side effects. It isn't the trazodone that nearly killed you, it's the combination of the alcohol and the medication.

Taking trazodone was not a good idea. Was not that depressed/sad especially to continue. Not smart @ all. Stop working, felt bad after taking it and stop and now I'v experienced things that I never had before and now it's chronic not sleeping little to nothing @ all and it's something I would not recommend you to do. Don't take if you really don't have to and it's addicted. You need rest for your weary soul. It makes you have other problems that you never had before.