I have been taking ,25mg trazodone at times to help me sleep. I just got some 5HTP from the health food store I am woundering if they interact each other? I read some SSRI can be deadly. The reason I do not like trazodone is it makes your mouth dry but the 5htp what I read controls food cravings and so on I like this so please any input thanks.

bump I can't believe no one knows about this for this long time no response shame what kind of site is this no doc in the house or wanna be doc come on now.

My husband and I have been on 5 HTP for years after being on Paxil and Prozac. 5HTP is an amino acid called tryptophan that works to boost serotonin but in a natural form. That's why some have claimed that it works well as a diet aid. It makes us not crave carbos so much. I've also been taking trazadone for a long time for sleep problems and the two work together well. That doesn't mean that I'm not having side effects. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to get off the trazadone. I hope this helps you.

Actually, trazodone is NOT a SSRI like Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Paxil, etc. etc. Trazodone is more properly an SSRE (selective serotonin reuptake enhancer). It is in the same category as the likes of Remeron and Stablon (Stablon is the newest and hasn't been approved by the FDA in the States but is widely prescribed in the EU and other places with generally superior results compared to other antidepressants).

SNRI's are similar to SSRI's but inhibit norepinephrine reuptake as well. Effexor is an example of this type.

It's important to know the difference with these antidepressants. SSRI's block serotonin from going directly to the brain and force serotonin to stay in your "nerve cells" in the brain (the synapses, which control and are responsible for brain signal transmissions). Instead of raising serotonin in the brain per se, they actually speed up synapse firing. Basically, they ramp up the activity of these synapses, putting them in overdrive.

These SSRE's do not accelerate brain cell (neural synapses) firing by themselves but instead raise serotonin levels in the body overall and in the brain.

5-HTP, like tryptophan (two different chemicals), are precursors to serotonin and supplements increase serotonin production. The difference between the two is that 5-HTP directly crosses to the brain and directly produces serotonin while tryptophan is converted to tryptophan in the body outside of the brain---it does not cross directly to the brain for serotonin production.

I've been on pretty much every antidepressant and many, many combinations over the past couple of decades for severe anxiety (severe panic disorder with agoraphobia and severe GAD but my anxiety has not been associated with depression until relatively recently when I was diagnosed with severe depression, due to major life events and my anxiety condition worsening the depression.

Currently, I'm on trazodone (400mg/day) along with two benzodiazepines. I've been on and off of it for about 2 years but have not had any problems when I have discontinued it. Perhaps the problem is that the trazodone has caused a depletion of your serotonin. On my doctor's okay, I have been permitted to take 5-HTP to replenish my serotonin which is depleted by the trazodone.

So, 5-HTP and trazodone DO interact with each other. I have to emphasize that taking 5-HTP with any anti-depressant should be carefully considered and ok'd by your doctor. 5-HTP supplements with antidepressants can have adverse effects (short or long term) with many people.

Can I ask, in what ways are you having problems getting off of trazodone? Are you depended on it for sleep or are there other problems that you are experiencing?

FWIW:

After many years of wrestling with deep, dark, suicidal depression, I have found a treatment that works for me. No telling if it will work for anyone else, but it might. Trazodone makes me sleepy, so I take it at night. I only take 75 mg, which some will say is not effective, but I refer you to my first sentence. In the morning I take a 100 mg tablet of 5-HTP. Once every couple of weeks I might feel a bit low and take another one mid-day. The results are nothing short of a miracle for me. I just went through three hellish months - horrible stress, poor exercise, and no sunshine - and had very little sign of depression.

The doctors all failed me on this. I've had many prescriptions and when they don't work the docs just say to ratchet up the dose. That's like telling them "I can't fix this broken glass with the hammer you gave me" and them saying "well try hitting it harder." I only figured it out because I started borrowing my wife's trazodone to help me sleep and then one day saw some 5-HTP at Costco. I read up on it and potential interactions and thought out a plan that I thought might work - and it did. Then I had to work the doctor up to it gradually, first getting my own prescription as a sleep aid, then telling him that I thought it was helping my depression so he would keep it coming.

--Brian

I am using a very similar combo to this guy. Here is my regiment:

Bedtime: Take 50mg trazadon, 1mg melatonin, 50mg 5htp.
Morning: 50mg 5htp.

If I am feeling down I will take another 50mg 5htp.

I am still playing with the doses on the trazadone. I started with 200mg 5htp and a single one of those was TOO MUCH. I may scale the 5htp back to 25mg pills and see how that works as the 5htp has reduced my appetite and keeps me awake (this is why I take the trazadone at night). The 5htp basically makes me feel euphoric, rids of me of 90% of thoughts of depression and 90% of my anxiety. I just think it gives me a little too much "oomph" and so hopefully scaling back reduces that part.

All in all my life sooooo much better with this right now.

I am prescribed Trazadone, Xanax and Celexa. At this point of my life (going through a nasty divorce) I need this help to get me through my dark places. I struggled and tried suicide twice but I am still here. I have joined AA and I am getting to be a better me. But I am stress eating and wanted to try 5HTP to see if it will help me close my mouth.

Stopped working for me after a few weeks fyi. There is no magic bullet.

You said 5-HTP and Trazadone DO interact. Do you mean that in a positive or negative way? In other words,if I want to begin taking 5-HTP should I get off the 100 mg. of Trazadone I take at bedtime for sleeping or not?

I had been on Trazodone for 4 yrs.starting at 150mg.For insomnia and depression. It helped me sleep but did nothing for the depression. Over the last 2yrs.I had very slowly tapered to 12.5 mg.at night only.I've been off it totally now for 2 weeks today.Is it safe to start the 5-HTP now for depression?Oh yeah because of the slow tapper no real problems sleeping.

Brian, how are you doing with the combination of trazodone and 5htp, you follow your plan ,,,thanks

i am depended on trazodone for sleep and i get only about 4 hours of sleep

It is bad to mix 5 htp and trazadone. Dont do it. It can cause some kind of syndrome. Gooe it.

I'm on trazodone I took a 5htp extended release and I had Xtreme stomach pain trying to throw up for hrs then I went to the hospital my leg became ridgid but most was the 10 hrs of pain in the gut

I have had sleep problems and stomach problems on and off for two years. My mother has dementia, and I am under considerable stress. I started taking trazodone about 2 yrs ago, 100 mg, on the dr's advice. I increased my nightly pills with 200 mg. of HTP and valerian root. I take A LOT to sleep, since insomnia is my worst fear! This combination worked for about a year, but then I started having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. I added something called Phenibut, 600 mg., and that worked for awhile, but now I'm experiencing terrible symptoms such as acid reflux, loss of appetite, unclear thinking, and still not able to sleep AT ALL some nights. I see a holistic nurse practitioner who put me on hormone replacement, and she is trying to figure out why I'm so screwed up! I need help, has anyone combined all these things and STILL not been able to sleep before?