I'm 28, and I developed GAD about a month ago and it was the first time I've ever had it. The therapist I'm working with said therapy and medication is the most aggressive approach. I've never been on any kind of medication before so I did a lot of research, and decided to avoid Paxil and give Zoloft a try. I know Zoloft can have some nasty withrdawal symptoms, but I felt like Paxil would've been harder to wean off of. I was informed by my doctor that I could be on this for longer than six months. I've been on it for about five days now, and I'm on 25 mg.

Obviously with the GAD I had trouble sleeping, but since the five days I've been taking this, I it seems like one night I'll sleep well, and the other I won't sleep nearly at all. I started out taking this in the evening, but I decided to take it this morning and see if that helps. I really haven't had any other side effects except for the sleeping trouble.

Has anyone experienced this insomnia when they first started? Does it get better once it starts to kick in? Last night I had virtually NO sleep, but the night before I was able to get rest?

Hi, yeah, those symptoms should go away as your body gets used to GAD. It si good that you're doing both therapy and medication as the success rate increases substantially. It will be a bit of a transition period for your body and I imagine it would take you about 2 weeks to a month before you're totally acclimated. Does that help you out?

That sure does and thanks for the quick response! Did you mean "as my body gets used to Zoloft, or did you mean as I get used to GAD"? I know with the GAD I had trouble sleeping, it started improving once I started becoming a little empowered over it. However I noticeably had worse insomnia after starting Zoloft...keeping in mind I'm only on day 6 so it hasn't really kicked in yet.

I've noticed some of the other symptoms but the only real bothersome is the insomnia.

Ha, good question. I meant as you get used to Zoloft. I am pretty sure that you're used to the horrors of GAD! :) Zoloft plays around with serotonin which has an impact on sleep cycles (as well as depression) so that's why you're all wonky right now. Have you noticed a change in the past few days or are you still thrown off?

Actually, it's been just under two weeks and most of my symptoms have started to go away or get better. I'm sleeping a little better, and some of the other side effects like the nausea, dizziness, clenched jaw, etc, have gone away! I still haven't felt it kick in yet, and I'm still having panic attacks, but it's only been two weeks.

I may think about upping the dose since I'm only on 25 mg. Insomnia all over again for another week I'm sure!

Ugh I'm sorry to hearabout the insomnia too but I hope that you're doing better in general. Keep me posted on how you're doing okay? I hope that you're doing better.

I want to warn you of another possible effect of Zoloft. I have and continue to take 100mg/ day and trust me be very careful mixing with alcohol!

I have had blackouts, memory loss, been in a Mexican jail and was beaten brutally by the federales with a billy club!, a DUI, been brutally beaten on 3 occasions by men in fights I apparently started one time leading to getting 13 staples in my head! and it was all due to mixing Zoloft with alcohol. Every time this happened I was moderating my alcohol only consuming as much as my friends and what I thought I could handle, constantly checking myself before each drink to see if maybe it was time to cut my self off but it seems that I always felt just fine and then BAM!!! I was blackout wasted with extremely erratic mood swings, anger, and doing things that made no sense at all!
I thought I was an alcoholic but really I was just young and having a good time, unfortunately when alcohol is mixed with Zoloft ( No other drugs were used) the worst times of my life happened. Years later I still can't piece together what really happened, but at least I figured out why. I still take Zoloft, but now I almost never drink, and if I do I really limit it 1-3 drinks and never drive.