Trazodone was prescribed for me offline for sleep, it is an anti-psychotic drug used for treating mental issues,I have chronic pain and went to doctors that were not my regular excellent pain management doc because family, friends wanted me to go see locals and my doc was long way away.  I begin to have chest pain and could  not breath and my heartbeat slowed down, felt dizzy, passed out and finally blood pressure dropped to 56/30.  The ER told me I shouldn't have a pulse, immediately gave me a bag of fluids, the nurse asked me what I was taking, I was on low dose of methadone for pain, xanaflex,(muscle relaxer), trazodone 200 mg. and the combo nearly killed me, not to mention the sweating, falling down, not making any sense when I took it before bed, I was talking gibberish.  Then I figured it was the trazodone, thanks to ER nurse who told me about horrible nightmares that I also had and they are terrifying, told me to get off of it and that was on a Thursday, by the way I could not even walk into the ER, then by Monday I was back to Normal, felt sane again, now by Wednesday, the withdrawals hit and I felt like I was getting off Heroin, aching to the bone, vomiting, stomach ache, exactly like narcotic withdrawals, I was on 200 mg, and went cold turkey to 100 mg, I don't recommend doing that but, no doctor could help me taper down, I was told go down to 50 from 100mg and I was miserable then tried 75, they do not make a 75mg to my knowledge, then I tried not taking it one night then the next I took it, finally I have called Teva the pharmaceutical co. that is in the U.S. because this JUNK is made by Pliva in Zagreb, Croatia, and there is only a ph. in Croatia and Email for Croatia, so I have just called Teva, by the way I got back with my great doc but he died in 2011, and  he stopped practicing end of early 2010 which is when  another clinic put back on Trazodone.  He  never would have given me this drug since I don't have mental problems, I suffer from auto-immune bladder disease and major injuries from car wreck which he took care of with shots and pain meds. I am currently suffering rapid speech, sweats, low blood pressure and I had blamed fentyl which was working great and never had a problem until Trazodone, and have gotten forms to let them know it is not their drug, narcotics are safe, but watch what you mix them with, xanaflex actually lowers my blood pressure which runs high when I am in pain, and is safe without the trazodone and methadone, I'm going back on fentanyl patch and am determined to get off this stuff, fentanyl does not cause constipation like other narcotics and trazodone causes urinary retention which is bad for my bladder disease, this is prescribed like candy and causes problems that made me think it was my narcotics, I never had a problem until trazodone and it causes extreme hunger and weight gain and aggressiveness My advice is read all side effects to every drug you take, and err on the side of caution, if you start to notice bizarre behavior you did not have before, it is probably the drug you are taking, don't blindly trust your dr. The doctors office I have now are cluless and prescribe it to their patients.  Last warning and it is serious Trazodone can cause a false positive for ECSTASY, I paid $36.00 for a toxicology report from the Journal of analytical toxicology, Vol 34/November/December 2010 Barry K. Logan, Anthony G. Constantino, Eric F. Rieders, and David Sanders-NMS Labs, 3701 Welsh Road, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania and Drug Scan, 1119 Mearns Rd., Warminister, Pennsyvania-Trazodone,meta-Chlorophenylpiperazine(an Hallucinogen Trifluoromethylphenyllpiperazine cross react with Emit II Ecstasy Immunoassay in Urine - so don't take if you are in pain management because it can come up positive and they won't and don't know about this in my opinion terrible drug and you will have that in your record, so make sure you contact your state medical board with the report and HIPPA to get it removed from your record, I am still having to do this because of my dear dad dying and now taking care of my 83 year old mom, hate to get a lawyer but am tempted because of an ass of a dr. and hospital that put me back on trazodone even when i WARNED THEM I HAD THESE SIDE EFFECTS, and they  refused to look at report I sent to them when I never had anything but clean drug test, I do not  drink or smoke or misuse my medicine or take illegal drugs.  Good luck and i am not advocating quitting if this drug is helping you, only if you are suffering side effects, I'll try to let you know what Teva says if I get a call back.

I use to take 500 mg for my sleeping disorder and I cold Turkey went three the same withdrawals only a buy worse considering the fact I was taking narcotic pill for adhd (concerta/ritalin) and let me tell u pills are not yhr cure in the long tun tell physcologically mess u up

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience to help others. I just started seeing a new PM Doc, he does NOT like narcotics at all and wants me off my Fentynal Patch, Oxycodone, Ambien and Soma. I have Neuropathy, my feet are in bad, bad shape. Big, hard and soft lumps, and my nerves are so sensitive, and feel raw. I am in bed and off my feet due to extreme, chronic pain. I have had back and neck surgery as well, both helped releive some pain,but didn't get rid of it. I am in bed 6 out of 7 days, sometimes weeks. I also have Intersticial Cystitis which is a bladder disease, among a few other issues. I have been back and forth with meds and I have a few issues with the Tizanidine, and Trazodone, which I stopped my Ambien for. Your post helped me realize that my gut feeling must be correct as far as the Trazodone. I have a few of the same side effects as you, and I think I'm going to look into finding a new PM Doc as well. Can you possibly share more on your experience with Fentyl?? Not helping so much with my feet.... Thanks again for sharing your experiences!!!

What if this drug,trazodone, has been taken for many years, and because of a mistake on the date of refil has made me go into withdrawall with sweating, weakness, fear, and lack of sleep. I have ha open heart surgery, two surgeries on my throat,shingles, and signs of Lupus in the past year. I do not intend to go off of it, 200 mgs. per night, but I have had to wait between RXs and I have found the RX. useful in the past I am into my fourth day of cold turkey withdrawel. Am I in trouble, I get the Rx. by tomorrow night, but now I wonder if I should be on such an addictive drug. Are my fears justified, and will my rehab. from Cardiac Rehab. be affected. I need straight talk and no advice about seeing about goind on another drug. They are all addictive and no better than what I thought was a safe and useful drug .

This explains my extreme hunger all the time. Thank you so much for sharing. I have a doctor's appt soon and I gonna tell him.

well i have read all postes on this drug .. i do have depression ,, and have truble sleeping even when i take this drug i only have to take one . but now have to take 2 just to have a few hours sleep, if this drug is bad ,what other altternetive do we have ,just to get one night sleep.

I am so sorry I took so long to answer you. My life has been very busy & my health has been bad, very near death. Fentanyl does not cause the constipation for me. But the tape can be a problem. I have tried different brands. I am seriously allergic to Latex & many other dyes, lotions, wasps, etc. I use a spray on my skin but still break out. You cannot use any lotion or powder on the site. I used to spray on azmacort, which is an inhaler used for asthma. I am using I think the same thing but in a spray. You cannot get over heated. Stay in air conditioning. No hot showers. Even doing light movement you sweat. This is part of side effect. Never ever combine xanaflex with trazedone as it causes the above symptoms. Mylan brand provides free covers. I may have to go back to them as Apotex brand which I like because of pain relief breaks me out. Read your side effects that pharmacy gives you. I could not take Ambien as it caused me to do things with no memory. I hope it works for you. Find a new Dr. I have to go out of town but I always have. A good dr. Is like dating, you have to find the right one. Do your research. Ask around & check online with others. Use the IC foundation to find one. Vote against anyone that supports denying you of being treated for your pain & giving you a quality of life you deserve. I will be praying for you. My Dr. wrote a great article about no ill befalling the righteous. I am a wealth of info, but my time is so limited. I am hoping to go public since I had a career in film & media. Educate yourself & do research. It is out there & we do have people & Drs. On our side. Report Drs. that want to rip you off something that gives you quality of life. And remember there is always hope. Much love to you & hang in there.

Don't go cold turkey, let me say I did that thinking I was ok., until the withdrawals kicked in. I then tapered down to finally 50mg. I still am taking around 25. Never go cold turkey without tapering. I was given it in combination with xanaflex which you never do. Plus, I had told them I could not take it & was put back on it. Please read my post. I think it might of reacted with my pain meds, but my neurologist said you never mix it with xanaflex, plus I do not need anti-psychotics or anti-depressants & have nearly had a fatality with cymbalta too. Many Drs. do not know it can cause you to test positive on a drug test but so can over the counter sinus meds like Allegra D. Please understand the word addictive. Their are drug addicts that take medicine to get high & escape from life & that is drug addiction. This is different than someone that has to take pain medicine for legitimate purposes & becomes physically dependent on the drug. In other words you just cannot stop or your body will get sick, but if you slowly taper off you will not, the pain will just come rushing back & that alone can make you feel scared & panicked. Taking any over the counter medicine say for ex: sinus medication your body will become accustomed to it. I have your sister disease of interstitial cystitus. So I am empathetic to Lupus. My dad had life long cardiac problems but had a very good life & long one. If you are being helped by the drug I do not advocate getting off of it. I had problems so I shared that. I have nothing but empathy for you & love. You are suffering & for that I am sorry. You are a fellow human being that deserves a good quality of life. My father also got shingles in the last weeks of his life. It is so painful. Do you have anything for the pain? I hope your Doctor is being kind to you. I have so many good chronic pain books & my late Dr. was an oncologist/pain dr. When you have legitimate medical problems as serious as yours are you need relief from your pain. You will not become a drug addict unless you abuse pain medication that has been prescribed. Their are many types of pain visceral, somatic & each person is different. What may work for someone else may not work for you. Please do not be afraid. You deserve to be functioning & enjoy life.

If it helps you please do not stop! Remember I was not taking it for depression. So you need it. Keep taking it as that is what it is prescribed for, but I don't suffer from depression.

I take Trazadone to sleep at night. I have chronic insomnia and will go 3-5 days with no sleep. I feel like a zombie. In reading some articles on this page, I now know the cause of the miserable constipation. To all of you out there, I am considering the medical Marijuana. I am hoping it will help with the neuropathy which is now spreading from my elbows to my fingers. I am sick to death of taking pills. If the Marijuana helps, more power to it. The depression, neuropathy, insomnia and medicine related constipation are wearing on me.