Im on trazodone , along with xanax, for my anxiety symptoms for two weeks now. i was only on a small dose of 25 to 50 mg for sleep. i went to a different dr, who said to up it to 100 mg, and that would help the anxiety/depression. I guess I have to wait and see, but was wondering, would that alone do it. everyone says they just use it as a sleep aid, along with an ssri (which i am dreading to take). Its been two weeks (on the low dosage) and i still have the same anxiety symptoms as when I started (headaches, nausea and hot flushes), so im wondering if it will ever work to traet the anxiety or if i am wasting my time. Id appreciate any insight or hearing anyones experiences. Thanks alot, maria k

I have used both trazadone and xanax on and off for the past 5 1/2 years. The Xanax was more for the anxiety than the trazadone. I get very anxious when I don't get enough sleep. I worry that I'm not going to fall asleep or stay asleep, therefore, just making it worse. When I do this I tend not to sleep and get very anxious. The trazadone as you noted is really more for sleeping. I haver never used 100mg. I've used 50mg and 25mg. What I do if I can't sleep and I'm feeling anxious is take both together. I take either 50mg or 25mg of trazadone with .5mg of Xanax depending how badly I'm feeling. This has really worked for me. I'm also on antidepressants. The anxiety leads to depression which leads to more anxiety. It's like a vicious cycle. Once the anti-depressants "kick in", you probably won't need to use the Trazadone and/or Xanax on a daily basis. It usually takes about 6 weeks for the antidepressants to take full effect. I know how miserable anxiety can make a person. It's a horrible feeling. If you're not on antidepressants I recommend you get on them. Then you won't need the other meds. only periodically.

TRAZODONE does help with anxiety...i notice that when i take 100 mg at night of it i can get threw alot of my day with out my klonapin...right now i have run out of klonapin and i am ok...uncomfortable but ok....i have one left and im trying to spare it...also alcohol helps numb the withdrawls..so right now im drinking wine and hoping i wont need to take my last pill.
i have the worst anxiety there is to have so anyone reading this with my prob shd def get on trazodone...it really helps maintain anxiety and withdrawls a little bit

If I were you I would stop taking Trazodone. It has helped me with my insomnia like no other drug. But it also will give me a major emergency room migraine if I miss it just one time! It used to throw me into a nice hypo if I missed now its horrible and I am afraid to NOT take it but I am going to find away to get off it. It has made me gain weight, has not helped with my eyes as I have type 1 2 and 3 Rosacea. Given me nausea, tremors and migraines if I miss it. To me this is NOT a good drug if it is controlling my brain in such a way to cause these terrible symptoms.
Walk away while you still can! o.O

Trazodone is a horrible drug. It makes me so dizzy and nauseous when I take it that I have no choice but to go lay down. Even while laying down, this drug doesn't help me fall asleep. It just makes me lethargic. I am taking 200MG of Trazodone and still have the worst insomnia I've ever had in my life. It takes me on average five to eight hours to fall asleep each night and its miserable. The side effects of Trazodone are too terrible. I seriously get so dizzy and nauseous I can barely breath. It increases heart rate and it starts pounding in my ears. I hate this junk but my Dr. won't let me take anything else.

Mixing TRAZODONE and ALCOHOL is extemely ill advised. TRAZODONE is a trycyclic and interacts strongly with alcohol, usually resulting in death. If you're suicidal, keep in mind that the effects of such a death include your respiratory system shutting down followed by vomiting. Unless youre into slowly choking to death on your own vomit, I would avoid mixing TRAZODONE and ALCOHOL. Cool story anyway, bro.

hi, i have been on ativan for two years with lamictol. worked a charm fo my anxiety. they took me off the ativan gave me trazodone and abilify. My anxiety has gotten worse, all the traz does for meis make my eyelids get heavy, my mind is still wired when i lie down. so i have eyes that dont want to open, and a mind that wont rest.. very frustrating

I was prescribed to Effexor and Adderol. I also drink more than what AA would call "socially exceptible". Between, the Effexor, Adderol, and alcohol, I had some serious problems sleeping. So I asked my Psychiatrist for a low-dose sleeping pill and he prescribed me Trazedone. So far, I love it. I sleep through my fiance getting up for work(which I never did before), while still getting up with a reasonable amount of clarity.

Hello.

I have done Zolft 100 mg for 6 months,. But still had NO SLEEP and anxiety. I am sales mgr -- so busy job.

A shrink yesterday gave me 1.0 Xanax --2x a day --------and 50 mg Trazadone for nite anxiety and mostly sleep.

It seems alot of you take the same medicine. I am hoping this works.

I enjoy reading all your posts and updates here. Bruce // Florida

I don't like trazadone at all! My doctor switched because she did not want me to get addicted to Valium, But with the Valium I was only taking 5mg at night and was able to sleep for 7 hours of great sleep with out grinding my teeth! I have been having trouble sleeping and grind my teeth when I am feeling that I am under a lot of stress.) On the valium I was able to get up in the morning feeling great excercise for 30 min to an hour and get through my day even if something happened that threw my day off like trying to be a mediator in a family argument. Now I am switched to trazodone my doc told me to take 100 mg at night I Felt like I was hit with a TRANQUILIZER dart slept for 16 hours my 8 year old tried to wake me after 3 hours of taking it and said I wouldn't wake up. Thank god my husband was there to help her. I stopped taking 100mg and knocked it down to 50mg before bed and I hate the way I feel on this stuff IT SUCKS for me. I am tired all day an anyone that asks me any kind of question I snap at them. I thought this stuff was supposed to increase the feel good chemical in your brain? ( seretonin) Does not seem to be increasing it for me actually seems to decrease it. :cry:

I think the doctors, pharmacetical and insurance companies work together what ever the drug companies want the doctors to push at that time they do and it is cheaper for the medical insurance companies. My reason is the Valium was helping me and I was only taking it once a night for 30 days I already had a plan if I would just take it for another 30 days by then the majority of my outside stresses would be gone by then and I would increase my excercise and outdoor activities because I would be able to.

I still can't believe that doctors are still prescribing Trazadone. My husband swears by it, but my experience with it put me in to a state of "duh".....I didn't like it....I have been taking Cymbalta for 2 years now; 60 mg. Not only does it help with anxiety, it also helps with the physical pain of depression. Ask you doctor...There are SO many newer medications on the market now with less side effects than those archaic pills...

I've suffered life-crippling anxiety since I was a little child. The only type I don't have is PTSD. I've switched between Klonopin and Xanax, (both 6mg's/day) for years, as to not get a tolerance to either one, and still suffer horrible insomnia. Neither one will put me to sleep, nevemind keep me asleep. My dr. finally put me on a prescription sleep med, Trazadone, and it works like charm. Anywhere between 50-100mg's for sleep. Doing research it seems to be the safest for long-term use. Ambien, Lunesta, etc are addictive, benzo-type meds, while Trazadone is not. Plus, Ambien didn't do c**p for me. For those using Trazadone as an anti-depressant, the doses you need to help with depression are so high that you WILL feel like you got hit with a tranquilizer gun. You need something like 400-600mg's for it to be a useful anti-depressant, and we all see what just 50mg's does. That's why it's used as a sleeping pill for the vast majority. For ME, it's better than living on OTC sleeping pills. BTW, drinking to get rid of the insomnia only makes it worse. You'll fall asleep quick, and wake up just as quick, begining a vicious cycle most of my family are dealing with right now.

I'm currently prescribed Risperidal (for my psychosis/schizophrenia) and ativan (anxiety) and Trazodone (insomnia/depression) I'm prescribed nothing for my tourette's syndrome because I tought it out like that. But I've been out of my antipsych's for over a week and now I'm losing my mind more than before. Since, I've ran out of my ativan, AND trazodone as well. I'd get my refills but I can't afford them without my insurance coming through yet... ANYWAY, even with all these chemicals theyve given me I still have horrible sleeping problems unless I mix all three before bed. But I needed a 1mg ativan EVERY 5 and a half hours or so to keep up with my anxiety so I want to ask my doctor if there's anything longer lasting he can reccomend, because it works, just I have to take so many in a day it's horrible. The traz (100mg) didn't help me sleep unless it was mixed with anything, but I'd always wake up around 8AM no matter when I took it. If I took 2 traz's then that would help me get drowsier. I don't want to get into my psychosis since this seems to be based around the anxiety aspect. But I feel that might have a lot to weigh in on this.... but any input would help. I'm struggling living week to week trying to figure out how to keep my mind.

I have taken Trazodone 50 mg prescribed for sleep for years. It was originally prescribed to help with insomnia caused by my antidepressant. I discovered that if I take half of the tablet at about 5:00 p.m. and the other half at bedtime it helps with my evening anxiety as well as with sleep. I did not realize that Trazodone was also helpful for anxiety but later read this on the internet. If I forget to take my 5:00 p.m. dose, I don't forget for long because I notice the anxiety creeping in. I don't generally take it earlier in the day. This low dose has helped me tremendously. I am no longer on another antidepressant and I rarely have anxiety progress to the point that I need Xanax (less than a few times a year). In the past I have a history of full-blown panic attacks. With the Trazodone I generally can keep that level of anxiety at bay.

I can tell you that I was amazed at what Trazadone was doing for my anxiety.  I found out completely by mistake.  I take 50 at night for sleep.  This week, I started waking up at 3am with knots in my stomach and racing thoughts of what I had forgotten to do or what MIGHT happen.  I just could not get back to sleep.  Not sleeping alone is enough to cause me incredible anxiety.  When I am over tired, my mind tries to compensate, and I become a real mess.  Last night, before I went to bed, I checked my "pill keeper" and found that I had failed to put the trazadone in for the entire week.  UGH!  I added the trazadone for last night, and slept like a baby.  This am, my mind is clear and I feel so well rested....and no 3am wake up call!!