I am diagnosed with major depressive disorder. I know this sounds bad enough, but there is one more problem with me. I like to drink alcohol; no matter I know I should not do this. My last doctor prescribed me Paxil to treat this disorder. Now I would like to know more about this drug, and what happens if I mix Paxil with alcohol?

Paxil, or paroxetine hydrochloride is indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder, so I would recommend you to use it as your doctor prescribed. Efficacy of this medicine was established in 6 week controlled trials of outpatients whose diagnoses were in category of major depressive disorder. Their episodes imply a prominent and relatively persistent depressed mood that interferes with daily functioning. In these studies Paxil was appear as very good for their symptoms. I am sure this drug will help you with change in appetite, sleep and loss of interests, which I believe you have. Important information you want to hear is that Paxil does not increase the impairment of mental and motor skills caused by alcohol. Although, I have to tell you all patients should be advised to avoid alcohol while taking Paxil. This is case with almost every medicine, so you should control yourself a little bit at least while you are on medicines. I also believe you should take therapy to treat your disorder although you have to quit alcohol, because this medicine could make your life better.

Isn't alcohol a depressant? I can only speak for myself of course but I believe that for years I tried to self medicate my depression with alcohol. I quit drinking and life got a lot better but after 10 years I decided to get professional help for my depression. I was prescribed Lexapro and it has helped significantly. Best of luck to you. My personal experience is that alcoho and antidepressants should not be mixed.

I've been on 12.5mg CR for a little over a month and aside from it working, I've found that it doesn't give me a problem when drinking. I didn't know what would happen, the doctor said it shouldn't be a problem and I certainly wasn't going to quit drinking for a drug.

Anyway, what I've noticed is that it makes alcohol take longer to affect me. This has once caused a problem, in that I drank and before it hit me and I stopped drinking, I drank more and got sick from drinking too much. I think it'll just take time before I get used to how alcohol will affect me from now on, but from my point of view, it isn't a problem. I can still enjoy alcohol and now I feel a lot better about being with other people :-)

Talk to your doctor if you're worried about its interaction, but in my case, Paxil has improved my life and alcohol hasn't caused any major problems with it.

I found some information that Paxil and alcohol together, is not good. They both mess with the same chemicals in your body, and can increase the effect of the alcohol, so be careful on how much you drink

I drank before taking paxil, but never to extreme and I never used any other drugs. I never experienced problems with alcohol until taking paxil. the drug affects everybody different, but for me it caused me to crave alcohol immensly, I would drink and black out almost every weekend, and when I blacked out I would do crazy terrible things that lost me friends and has marred my reputation for who knows how long. my grades plummeted and i even dropped out of college for a term. I ended up having my family intervene on my account to send me to an rehab center as well. now i am proud to say i have been off antidepressants for over 3 months and I no longer crave or have problems with alcohol. I enjoy drinking on occasions like a normal person as I did before I took the drug. Its crazy to believe that this drug was the only variable that seperated me from being an crazed alcoholic who lost friends and was forced to go to rehab to someone who does not have problems with alcohol. If you feel cravings for alcohol while on paxil and have people tell you that you acted out of control when you blacked out switch to another antidepressent and hope it doesnt have this side effect. Looking back I realize that I never should of drank on the drug but at the time I just kept drinking regardless. In short, be careful, these drugs are helpful but I feel that the companies that sell them are criminal for their reluctance to disclose the number of side affects taht can accompany them.

ive been prescribed paxil cr for the past year and it has helped me greatly. Alcohol is the worst thing to mix because it relieves you of your anxiety which doesnt sound so bad, but when the alcohol is out of your system your anxiety will be back and stronger than ever. i truely suggest anyone of paxil to limit their drinking because i have had some really bad cases mixing paxil and alcohol. i have about two or three drinks per week and i find it extremely normal but anymore than that and my anxiety haunts me which i really don't like which is why i avoid drinking to much. hope this advice was helpful.

I was on paxil for 6 months for social anxiety and depression. I felt amazing when I was on it, but it came with a huge price. I drank like I have never drank in my life and would wake up in the morning with NO hangover. I had an intense craving for alcohol whenever I went out. Prior to paxil I was a social drinker; at clubs, parties, birthdays. Always in moderation, never drinking more than 3, 4 tops, and about once or maybe even twice a month tops. It wasn't just the drinking but the way I would act when I was drinking. Yeah everyone acts funny and sometimes even bizarre when they are drunk but paxil and alcohol strait up turned me into this crazy person who wouldn't stop talking and not stop drinking even. When you are on paxil forget the days of a great buzz on a patio while drinking your favorite beer. You will literally have to drink massive amounts of alcohol and then and only then you will be so drunk that you will throw up. My advice just avoid drinking period when on paxil. Another reason I got off of paxil was that it made me extremely nervous and made me very jittery and shaky; for example meeting people, conversations, little things that never made me nervous before. (I get a little like that when i take tylenol, advil or allergy meds.) Maybe that could've been behind my insane alcohol cravings. Also, I found myself being "too happy". It sounds good but bellieve me when you are in that state your judgement is clouded and you can allow yourself to abused emotionally and physically without even being aware of it, because literally your pain is dulled or should I say overlapped by your sheer happiness and god knows what else. I remember having so much joy while doing data entry. If i never got off of paxil I would still be doing data entry which a huge smile on my face thinking about the 30 glasses of gin and tonic I will be consuming after work.

You should not drink alcohol with any anti-depressant or anti-anxiety...period! Ask any doctor or psychiatrist and they will tell you the same. If a professional does not tell you this, stop seeing them for they are just pill pushers!

I have been on Paxil 40MG for the past two years. For the past three months, I have been drinking, although it states right on the prescription to avoid alcohol. I thought it was because it would not let the Paxil work effectively. I just had a follow up visit with my doctor, and she said that mixing the two could put my brain asleep, which could cause death. So, I would suggest to anyone, not to drink. If you must, limit yourself to 1 or 2 drinks.

I drank on paxil twice both times i blacked out . My body kept on going why my brain was sleep . I did things i can't remember ,and from what I heard im glad i don't remember ........ 

I too drank on paxil. I drank less than amouts i have cleared easily with no problems before i was on Paxil. The Paxil seemed to intensify what little i did have, and made me blackout. Scary but true. I couldnt rember anything that happen since I had started drinking that night and woke up in my bed the next morning a tad confused. Paxil and alcohol do not mix!! You black out and your body keeps going almost as if your body is on autopilot with none of the lights on up stairs. But from what I hear about that little episode i wasnt overly mean i didnt even say much least anything, but i was overly drunk and couldnt stand up straight, so to all the readers this is not something to combined. It was almost to the affect of taking a bar and not being able to remember anything, just plus a killer hangover the next morning.

I take 20mg aropax and just turned 18, so as you can guess, my drinking is quit heavy. I don't drink as much as I used to when I wasn't on aropax, but as said by someone else, I black out. From the moment I start drinking til the moment I wake up the next morning I remember absolutely nothing. My judgement is severely effected, I walk off my friends and wander around the place by myself, my suicidal thoughts increase and usually I end the night bawling my eyes out. Though I don't remember any of this the next morning, I often read through my phone and see the messages I've sent and sort of piece the puzzle from there. Although I know I shouldn't be drinking whilst taking aropax, I can't seem to stop. The black outs scare me, but at the same time I'm addicted to them, I like the fact that I can forget about things for a while, it makes me feel like that time I was blacked out, I had no problems. I know this doesn't really help with your question, but I thought I'd share my experience with you, so you could make your decision based on that. I know it may be different, as everyone varies, but if you react the same as I do, I wouldn't recommend it.

I know this was 4 years ago, but if you're still out there, I bet you went back to having an alcohol problem. If you were forced to go to rehab you are an alcoholic and don't blame the paxil. I have been on it for years.

What a load of rubbish you are talking, there are hundreds of people out there complaining of cravings for alcohol on SSRIS and when they came off the SSRIS their cravings went. I know this to be true because it happened to me also and destroyed my life, I came off the SSRIS and my cravings went. Do some research on the subject before criticizing others.