iI have been on tanzadone fo 24 yeas 150 mgs my docto changes my meds noe ive been off fo 5 days now i am suffeing with sweatty head face and neck could this be the esults of stopping tanzadone and hoe longwill this last

I realize this was over a year ago on the trazadone but are you still having issues?? as I was on this medications 15 years ago

i have been taking traz for about a year 300mg at night as well as other meds at first it worked now i feel that  its stopping my own body and brains defenses from helping to heal myself so 4 days ago i stopped taking them i am suffering but at least i have taken back some control of my life instead of going to the doctors to be given more top up drugs anti depressants are not a long term solution they are cheaper than talking therapy

it took months but it is out of my system. message me again if you want more

You're a shill for the pharmacutical industry. Shut your damn mouth. Trazodone is a dangerous drug with horrible side-effects and withdrawl symptoms. It shouldn't be on the market.

This is my personal experience with Trazodone and withdrawal. I suffered from fatigue for 10 years and met with many doctors. Tests revealed addressing sleep apnea and a glandular tumor problem, which was dealt with. Trazodone was prescribed to build up my serotonin level and eventually break an insomnia cycle. Slow continued titration over 6 months led to a nightly dose of 200mg. Although I slept through the night, I was a wreck during the day and I suffered from other side effects. Somewhat desperate, I decided to discontinue the medication, reducing my dose completely over 10 days. Soon came relentless insomnia. After 2 weeks, I almost gave in for nighttime relief. Then the next day, 4 days ago, my sleep pattern improved and my day time energy level is the best in 10 years. I do visualize myself (just before falling asleep) as sleeping soundly throughout the night, then waking feeling well rested at a predetermined time, and it works. I'm not prescribing medical advise, just relating my own personal experience in case it helps someone. As they say, speak to your doctor.

I have been on Trazodone for many years. It was given to me to help me sleep. After taking 1 150 mg tablet, I graduated to taking two 150mg tablets per night. Due to a completely separate situation, I could no longer swallow the huge triangular shaped pill, so I decided on my own, to just not take it any longer. I thought I was going mad! I became explosive, aggitated, argumentitive. I was crying several times a day, just wanting my life to be over. I was waking up several times a night, but the insomnia was the easy part. I kept telling my sister, and my husband that something was VERY WRONG. My head was very cloudy, my body was non-stop active, almost as if I was experiencing an out of body experience. My physical body was not my own. My heart felt as if it was beating much harder than normal, my insides were shakey, jackhammering really. I seemed to be dreaming more than usual, not just any dreams, but nightmares.  Now, about 5 days later, I am clear headed, but still dizzy at times. I get bouts of hard heartbeat, but its not constant. I have had some headaches, which I treat with good old fashioned asprin, I take a couple walks a day to help me sleep better at night, although I still wake up a couple times a night. Thankfully, the nightmares have subsided as well, and I seem to be on an upswing. Took me days to figure out what I had changed, since when you read about Trazodone, it states there are no side effects to quitting cold turkey. I BEG TO DIFFER.

Just wanted to offer my experiences with Trazodone after reading through the above. I have tried many antidepressant over the last 5yrs with Trazodone being the latest. Initially I was taking 200mg daily which, about 3 mths ago, increased to 450mg daily as I was showing no effects. Have been on this higher dose for 3mths now and still no real improvement so my psychiatrist suggested weaning off the drug by reduction of 50mg/3days. Initially things were bearable but this last week has been hellish! Every muscle - every fibre in my body aches. I have pins and needles 24/7 and sound like I have a cold too! I guess what I wanted to say is that If you take this drug, like all other drugs, there is always a chance for side effects and/complications. You should approach all drugs with care (and respect) an make sure where possible you at fully apprised of the benefits & risks. To categorically state a drug has no side effects is unrealistic - I get a rash from Penicilin V for example. But knowing the likely side effects and complications you can make the best decision you can at the time. I still have a way to go with my weaning off Trazodone, if I feel this unwell in a phased approach my advice would be to avoid cold turkey. I hope perhaps that my note helps other users make good decisions on the way forward. Richyread (uk)

I would just like to add my experience on the symptoms involved with trazodone withdrawal, especially via a low dose.

I've been on 25mg (once nightly) since February 7th, 2012. My doctor originally prescribed it to help me sleep and to ease morning anxiety, then wanted me to stay on it to help keep my general anxiety levels and mild-depression at bay. 

About two months ago, I stopped taking trazodone for about eight or nine days. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary at first. However, as each day passed, I began experiencing unpleasant symptoms in increasing severity; sobbing fits, anger/irritation, extreme sentimentality, vivid nightmares and bad daydreams, uncontrollable anxiety (without a trigger), insomnia, internal shaking, and just generally feeling like a husk of myself with a 'bad feeling' following me around. The next morning after resuming the 25mg nightly dose, it was as though NONE of that had ever happened. Go figure.

I've been cutting back my dose to about 20-15mg over the last four days, and I'm finding that some of these symptoms are creeping up on me. As of this morning, I'm having trouble sleeping (myclonic jerking) even though I'm tired, and again with the internal shaking.

Guest wrote:

Rhonda wrote:

The first post on this page helped me a lot. I had been taking approx. 25 to 50mg of trazodone for about 5 or 6 years. My doctor told me 25mg was so low I could just stop it without a problem .. About 8 days after I was having heart palpations, anxiety and the worst insomnia that not even lunesta or ambien could touch. So here I am back at the doctors with these symptoms and he prescribes other meds for panic attacks and heart palpitations.. It masked a few symptoms but not the insomnia. I finally found this first post and realized I WAS withdrawing so I took my usual dose of trazadone and in an hour I was free of all symptoms.. So I gradually over several months have trazodone down to about 5mg..do you think I can stop..nope.. 8 days later here I am again with insomnia and anxiety which realeases cortisol/adreanaline keeping me wide awake again.. I say you will know in 8 days if you will have these symptoms.. do not just stop taking the drug at that dose though.. you should contact your doctor and he will hopefully know more than mine..and tell you a good schedule to withdraw on. You will regret it if you don't.. When you start having these symptoms don';t think your sick or crazy like I did.. just take your dose of trazodone and you'll be good again.. you will just have to withdraw slower.. I'm on such a low dose (the size of a crumb really) and I still can't JUST STOP it..so I'm not in the clear yet.. Hope my post helps someone which is why I wrote it. Because the first post on this page really saved me.. I found it one early morning while suffering with my symptoms..and I thought an angel was next to me to guide me to it..

Take care

I really recomend cutting the dose down to the smallest you can get it down to and do this over a period of months. I got off of vicodin and clonapin and now I am doing this with trazadone. I really beilve that gettign off of drugs is much much easier when it is cut down. You wont have all these mental problems that make you feel like you are worse if you do it this way. Just cut it down as small as possible slowly and over a period of months or even a year if needed.

How on earth did you get off Klonopin... Seems impossible.

Thank god I found this. I have been going crazy for almost three weeks now. I was on Traz for ten years using 100 mg at night. One morning I found the pill on the floor and realized I hadn't taken it...and it was the first time in ten years that I hadn't woken up groggy and needed Provigil to get through the day. So I told my pDoc that I was quitting three days later. He did recommend tapering off but I felt I wasn't having any side effects so I didn't worry about it. Since then I have been in the ER twice, spoken with a couple of Pdocs (mine is on vacation this week and unavailable). Now I have a fever of almost 103 and don't want to go back to the ER. I have severe nausea with dry heaving, electrical zaps in my head, anxiety that is so bad I have stopped taking Aleve because I feel no pain in my body. I have meta-anxiety - anxiety about the anxiety. And I don't know what to do. As I read these posts, I am thinking to myself, should I take a pill? Will that put me back to normal? I will reread these posts and see if anyone has done that. I still take Geodon, Prozac and Klonopin. God, if only my therapist weren't out of the country.

I am new to this site and was doing some research on Trazodone, I have been on it for about 7 months 50 mgs at night for sleep. My doctor said I can double up on it or more since it is not addictive. Lately having trouble sleeping and feeling depressed mostly due to stress in my life right now plus the fact I am also premenapausal. Cant seem to lose weight and today went to doctor and he says my blood pressure is 150/110 (checked both arms), wants to see me in a week. I have never had high blood pressure before in my life. Told me I am borderline diabetic too with my weight and says my diet is fine but lack of exercise is the problem since my metabolism has slowed down.  I was reading up on the Trazodone and seeing some of the side effects may well be what I have been experiencing. Could the blood pressure be because of the Trazodone? I am thinking of just quitting cold turkey.

I have been trying to cut down on Traz by 50 mg. This is about he 4th day. It began with stomach ache and lots of birping, proceeded to yes, the feeling that something was in my throat and couldn't be swallowed. I never drink soda, but have had to do that I could birp, as my stomach felt heavy. Today I am really tired, so I am going back on the 50 that I cut down and will do like others that I have read about, shaving some off.

have you tried galens of dorchester they are homeopathic they are there to help and they post the none poison that the drug pushers in white coats dish out, doctors get back handers from companies to sell there drugs ,but please try galen for your own health its natural so will work with your body not against it

I was diagnosed as bi polar back in 1988. I am 58 a year old. The V A put me on trazodone over 15 years ago. I was already on 100mg of zoloft, 30mg temazepam,3mg clonazepam, and the traz immediately made me feel like a million bucks, for a short while. Fast forward to 2004 when i happened to run out of it. I did a ''take every pill  in the house'' suicide atrempt. The next time i ran out, 3yrs ago, i was very agitated and euphoric and wound up with 5piercings and a tattoo. I am scared as hell of this stuff and the V A, if you have heard, is totally useless now days. I stopped zoloft over a year ago, saw no difference until 5 months later. Now i have terrible dreams nightly, major suicidal tendencies, never do anything, force myself to sleep 12-18 hrs, and have no interest in doing anything., other than eating, especially after i take my bedtime meds. IM 5'9 AND now weigh 240lbs. The V A has essentially abandoned me and will only throw meds at me. I needsome serious psychotherapy, and a total re-evaluation of my drug regimen. I have medicare and i live on soc sec. but i can find no psych that will accept medicare, anywhere. I am about 175 miles northeast of dallas. and I need help. Julia