My boyfriend quit methadone cold turkey. It's been about a month and a half and he is having withdraw symptoms again. He wants to get treatment, but I think it's crazy since he has been off it for so long to go back on to get better. Does anyone know what we can do to get this working. I want to help him but I don't know how.

I'll tell you right now....I did the same thing and after 43 days I couldn't take it anymore. and that was the biggest mistake I ever made, considering victory was right around the corner.

sleep is the most important thing.and going 43 days without it can make you go insaine!

My suggestion is: if you cant find a doctor to give you any, then try scoring some Xannax-Clonipin. that should get your hubby over the hump.

after a month and a half the only problem he should be having now is sleeping /resslessness....no sense in backing out now.

I am so sorry for you, I mean that I feel for you and him. I wish I could offer a quick fix but I can't. Please tell him that he has to know how proud of himself he should be. I'm still hooked and afraid I'll die that way. He is doing what 80% of people can't do. How high of a dose was he on? I've been on methadone for 9 years and everyday I say "This is the day I'm going to get off" but that day never comes. Can he see a doctor to get some xanax? That would help, go to 20 doctors if you have to but do not go back on that poison. My dad is a drug councelor & former addict. I have heard many times that each time you quit and start up again, its always harder to get off then it was the last time. If he's made it amonth, plead with him not to go back. Rub his legs so it wil help that feeling of termites chewing on his bones, keep him eating to gain strength, get him a bag to punch and kick to release that urge to just jump out of his skin... try to go to a health store or GNC for a body detoxifing agent and as nasty as it sounds...flush out his bowels, I'm sure he feels weak, like his body weighs 300 pounds...God I wish I could help. Where are you from? Please don't be offended but if he can't get xanax, maybe I can help with that. just to get him through another 2 weeks or maybe 3, that just may be a good incentive for him...being off 2 months...that is worth trying

I am currently in college with the hopes of becoming a neurologist one day and my major in undergrad is psychology. I am not a doctor so you can treat this response as equal to the other responses. There have been numerous research studies that deal with addiction and quitting. An idea that I thought of when I was reading your situation was using what is called the "placebo effect". Maybe you could speak with a doctor or a psychiatrist to prescribe you "sugar pill" that looks like a methadone pill. Basically what I am getting at is that with the placebo, your boyfriend may believe that he is actually taking methadone and his brain will, in a sense, trick his body. Thus, hopefully getting him through the withdrawal symptoms. Hopefully after a while, you can inform him that he was really quitting on his own and he didn't need the methadone. Let's just hope that he doesn't get addicted to the placebo. Hope this helps :-).

I think that is a wonderful idea, yes it is psychially painful to the body, I don't wish that pain on anyone. I too went through several weeks without sleep causing me to hallucinate and I became so weak that I couldn't even shower alone! My sister had to wash me in the tub because I couldn't hold my arms up long enough to shampoo. I felt helpless and so I went back to methadone. To my point as to why this is relevant to your case, my fiance sorta did that for me. I was at 120mg of Methadone and now I am at 60mg. It took a long time but since i get a months supply of Methadone tablets (AKA wafers, biscuts, there are many names) My fiance' started to give me my methadone melting the tablet & not telling me exactly how much I was taking, that did help. We started at 120mg a day and he would work me down 10mg at a time, giving me 120mg far a day, then 110mg a day, mixing it up till I was comfortable at 110, then 110mg to 100mg and so on. Although i was dropping very slow, I still believe he helped me very much.

I too just went off methadone. It's been 5 days and i've not slept at all either. It sucks but that's the way it goes. I'll not go back on it. Its worth it.

I came off methadone a few years back, the way I did it was at the time I was a on a program to keep me off heroin so I asked the clinic to put me on the lowest dose then about 6 months into the treatment I asked them to take me down 1 mg a week but do not tell me when this would start and do not tell me what day they would be doing this each week.

After about another 6 months I was up getting my dose and the guy that dispensed it to me each day (i got to know him pretty well) said to me "you know you don't need this don't you". I didn't really understand what he ment but about a month later I was with someone I had just met and I was having a great time over the weekend. On the sat night I forgot to take my 'take away' weekend dose and didn't realize (funny as it sounds because normally i would always know or not know but this time for reason It just didn't register with me) I didn't realize this until the next day and by that stage I felt completely normal (I was only taking methadone to feel normal anyway) so I thought screw this and pored Sundays dose down the draing.

I felt completely normal in the days following, even though I was expecting some withdrawal, i guess they did actually do what i asked and reduced me down so slowly I didnt even realise I was probably just drinking OJ instead of OJ mixed with methadone.

Why am I posting this, I've just come off Codiene (yes I'm a sucker for opiates) and i did that cold turkey but I did go from over a gram a day to about 250mg over a period of time (knowing how well the methadone reduction worked) and it helped greatly, I still got hit hard enough to feel like c**p but no were near as hard if I didnt reduce and the symptons lasted about 7 days total.

If your getting off any opiates, reduce first, give yourself a long period of time to get used to it, at the end of the day your only taking opiates in the end to feel normal and get through the day so why not work towards a goal of reducing first and making it easier in the long run.

Worked for me Twice now.

Good luck all reading this, I know how much this forum helped me this time round.

o.O DON'T LET HIM GET BACK ON METHADONE UNLESS HE HAS BEEN DOING OTHER THINGS AND HASN'T TOLD YOU IF HE HAS COME THIS FAR DON'T STOP NOW. FINISH IT. I AM ON 50 MGS OF METHADONE I BEEN ON IT FOR 9 YEARS AND I FEEL LIKE I AM GONNA DIE ON A DAILY BASIS BLURRED VISION LIGHT HEADED CONFUSION MY HEALTH IS EXCELLENT THEY SAY BUT I FEEL LIKE GARBAGE IT IS THE METHADONE MY BODY IS REJECTING IT AFTER SO MANY YEARS OF USING IT. I HOPE TO DETOX OFF SLOWLY OVER THE NEXT 2 YEARS IF I MAKE IT THAT LONG SO PLEASE DON'T GO BACK TO THAT DEATH TRAP.. ITS THE GOVERNMENTS WAY OF KILLING OFF THE JUNKIES OF THE WORLD. IM GONNA BEAT IT FOR MY KIDS BUT IF IT WEARNT FOR THEM I WOULD WALK INTO A TALIBAN CAVE COVERED WITH EXPLOSIVES AND DETONATE WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH IS HELL ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!

OH P.S IF YOU HAVE A GOOD AMOUNT OF MONEY LOOK INTO R.A.AD RAPID ANITHISIA ASSISTED DETOX IT COST $20,000 BUT ITS OVER IN 24 HRS AND YOU ARE IN A COMA WHILE YOU GO THROUGH THE DETOX MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN A HOSPITAL WHEN YOU GO THROUGH THIS NOT ONE OF THOSE SMALL CLINICS.

I dont want to cause problems in your relationship, so please dont get mad at him if its true but I would find out if maybe he started using again secretly shortly after he started to feel better (someting like oxy for example)

Because its not normal to have withdrawals kick back in.

Anyways, I'm starting methadone this week, I dont want to, I'm scared of the shitt, but I need to get off oxycontin someting fierce.

Hey there.. I realize this is an old post.. but hopefully if someone who is in the same position stumbles across it maybe this advice could help. I would consider myself heavily addicted to oxycontin, and have been for almost 2 years. I recently decided to quit, for my own health and to show my boyfriend that I am willing to give him a clean environment to return to after recovering for 6 months himself. I'll tell you, it hasn't been easy. All the horror stories you hear are true, there are cold and hot sweats, sleeplessness, back pains, leg pains, vomitting, cannot leave the toilet.. the list goes on. But there is hope. The third day seems to be the worst, and once you get past that, things slowly start to get better. After five days of litteral hell, things do pick up. You will sleep easier and the sweats aren't half as bad. You will start using the bathroom normally again and no more vomitting. I did this cold turkey, with a little help from xanax that my doctor prescribed me. I waited for 5 months on a waiting list to get methadone, but decided to do it myself instead of waiting and I'm very happy that I did because methadone is just another addiction to kick. There's no easy way of doing it, I wish I could tell you some miracle tea you could drink or some other advice I could give you to get through the hurting.. trust me, I wish someone could have done the same for me. But just wait it out, it will really be worth it. You will have your life back and your days will be much happier without the stress of worrying how you will find that next fix. It takes about a full month to really be back on track, and of course the chances of relapsing are strong during this point. But if you make it there, which I havent quite yet, I'm sure it will be the greatest feeling you could experience, in an addict's world. Just keep your mind occupied and do whatever you can to not think about it. Of course you will be weak and sick, but just keep your mind distracted on movies, tv, computer, ect. while you heal. Then after about a week, you should be okay to go on walks and bike rides.

Hi, I've never done this before and I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right, if I'm in the right place to ask this question or what. I'm mosly confused, pissed-off and disgusted with the prospect of taking methadone for the rest of my life. I don't talk to councellors mostly because they are just ex-junkies who need a job and can't function in the "real" world. They've no earthly idea what they're talking about half the time and are just repeating old cliches taught to them by other ex-junkies. It's an endless cycle of useless advice that's been perpetuated for years. My point is though, is that I got to get off methadone. It's going on two years now and I've taken Xanax or other 'benzos' for acute anxiety and have been very careful so far, qutting five or six days before I think I'm going have to piss. Lately though, I've been less careful, mainly because I don't give a sh*t anymore and just want out. I'm considering quitting the methadone, cold turkey, trying to get off in a hurry, so I won't have to keep spending the $260 a month and so I won't have to talk to this useless councellor and listen to his insipid "advice". I'm at 55 or 60 mg, having recently reudced from 70, 5mg a week. I have pain issues, too many to list here, but I thought I'd stay with the program if for no other reason than to manage my pain. Since I've dropped from 70 I've noticed my pain is more noticeable and the evil bastard councellor is giving me a real hard time about increasing again. I swear to Frank Zappa, the guy just likes to see me pissed off and to see how angry he can make me.
I've told you all that to tell you this: my intention is to stop using their evil "medicine" and try to control my withdrawal symptom with the use of Xanax. Can this be done, how long will it take, and can I die from withdrawals? I'm not afraid to die but I love my two grandaughters who live with me very much, and don't want to "abandon" them at this stage in their little lives when they need me most. They're probably going to take away my "take out" doses in another week or two and need to be able to tell them that their services will no longer be needed pretty quick. Also, will I be able to work or am I going to be bedridden the way I was on the THREE different occasions I tried kicking oxycontin on my own with no help, not even Xanax? (I really wanted to 'snuff-it' then but couldn't because of the grandbabies). I'm a partner in an antique store and need to be able to work at least five days a week.
If anyone has any advice that would be useful I'd really appreciate it. Right now, I'm having to "obatain" my Xanax through any means available to me. Any advice on getting a 'script? Does any of this make sense? Am I going to be able to 'kick' on my own? In about TWO WEEKS? If not I gotta die. I can't keep going back to that clinic. I beats running around chasing dope to support a habit, but not by very much. I don't miss opiates, I don't dream of using them and I don't "try" some occasionally just for kicks. That's the truth. I suffer from extremely acute anxiety however, and the benzodiazapines (sp?) do wonders for my ability to function, be happy and productive and be willing to go on living. If one more person tells me I'm suffering from depression, I'll cripple them. My depressed feelings come from the acute anxiety and my seeming inability to get off methadone.
Thanks for reading this long-drawn-out, non-sensical mess and I'd really like to hear from someone whose "kicked" methadone starting at a similar dose. Oh, yeah! I didn't even mention the ADVERSE sexual side-effects! That in itself is enough to make me want to jump off a very high bridge! It's also ROBBING me of my of my memory!
Any help will be very appreciated greatly.
Gotta get off fast!
Thanks.

Quote:

i have been on mehtadone for 5 months not. I unterstand that is not a long time compared to other users but I am at the point I am ready to get rid of this prisone or cage if you will. I get up every morning and take 12 dollars every day to get my daily dose. Currenly I am at 60 mgs and have been on this for 3 monts now. I have not intention to raise my dose because it will worse down the road. I have read and read everything on line about methadone and there are so many different way to quitl I wish there was just one way to do this without costing me an arm and a leg. I have ready there are ways to do this in a doctors off and you will feel hardly anything but guess what the price for this procedure is 1000 dollars a day. I don't know about you but I don[t have that kind of money. and on top of that tey cant garauntee it will wok long term so I am afraid after all that money I might have to go back. That is NOT a choice for me. Now I want to end by mentioning a secret that I read about and from what i hear and read it really works as long as you follow the directions to a tie. No, this is not illegal so don't worry.; the key is call "THE THOMAS RECEIPE" if you are like me, you have already heard about this. It breaks down all the ingredience you need and how to follow it. I have to warn you, there is one script you will have to get from your doctor and it is call xanax or clonopine. This is only used to help with the anxiety. Everything else on the list you can buy at a drug store or even G N C. Ok now, this is alot to take in and I really hope you took time to read this. it will save both of out live if we stick to it. I am in the process of asking off for 10 days. I know you all are saying that wont even be enough but listen, if you can meke it thur the hardest 10 days I am faithful that the hardest part will be over. Now everything will not be back to 100 ;percent etterj but can you imagine whag you will feel like then. Just bare the rest and in one month it will be over and your life will be back. I just want to say good luck to all of you that are willing to stick with it. In ending, none of us can do this without the prayer of god. my paster said to just give it all to him and he will take your pain from you. You just have to believe he will do it for you., i Love you all like brotherss and sisters. I have faith we can all do this together. I woke up this morning and the lord spoketo me and said this is your time to do what I ask and share to as many people as you can Even if it just one person, I have done my job. I really hope this reaches many people and it help save lives. Thank you all for reading this and good luck with quiting this evil game. The lord will always be there for you. I plan on starting this soon and when I do, I plan on posting a journal everyday so you all can expect and see what I went thu. I love you all and god is here with us. GOD BLESS US ALL. Thanks again for your time.

hello I am so glad that I found a site where people like me are trying to get off this horrible drug called methadone. I wish to god I would have read up more before starting to take it becuase I would have manned up and suffored for 7 day and got my self clean off of hydrogodene. I know I know most of you are saying you are crazy for doing this. Trust me, it is not something I have already told myself. I am trying to get over this quick and easy as possible. Luckily I have only been on this drug for 5 months. I know that still is a long time but nothing compared to the years most people have been on it. I have told myself, family and most of all GOD that t is time to get rid of this demon a nd start living a new life. I can remember the good times I had while growing up and all I had to do it take advile if I had a headache. Now I have to take something stronger because my body just laughs at the small things I try to give it. I have read a bout this post call THE THOMAS RECEIPE. Does this really work. At this point I am ready to try anything. I also heard that xanax can help with sleep. one problem, I can't get any. Is there anyone out there that can help me get ahold of just enough to make it thru this withdrawl. Ok, I have to go to work now but I will be back tonight and I hope there is something here for me to read. Thanks to all and I am so glad that there is love out there and everyone cares about each other. We will make it everyone. Love you all.

Michael

he is not having withdrawal symptoms. he has cravings. common with any addict specially opiate users.

he needs counseling. but only if he is willing and makes his own decision to stop. give him as many chances as you like but there will come a time when you will make the decision to let him go. some day may be you wont even miss him if he is not around. it will just be an experience that will mature you not to get involved with someone who cannot quit drugs.

good luck

This is such a hard drug to detox from. This is by no means spam but as a researcher I highly recommend Ibogaine therapy. Please do your research and look into Ibogaine. I wish your boyfreind the best of luck

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed