I'm 37 years old, 28 hours after my hemorrhoid excision surgery (done by a colorectal surgeon), and the pain is worse than labour for both my kids (and i had loooong protracted labour, forceps delivery, and perineal tears - hemorrhoidectomy is still worse).  My hemorrhoids was from all the pushing during my first difficult birth anyways.

I am so scared of constipation, and so i had kept to a 95% clear fluid diet since I got home from surgical daycare.  This morning as soon as i felt my daily BM coming (i'm like clockwork) i sat down at the toilet to try to poop (16 hours after surgery).  I sat for waaaaay too long - i think an hour? while little bits came through rom my swollen anal area.  All soft / loose thanks to my clear-fluids diet and only very little bit of blood clots.  However, the pain was excruciating afterwards, and i could FEEL the area being more swollen from the straining.

My instinct told me to use ice - if you have a swollen sprained ankle, you'd ice, right?  but so many posts here recommend HOT sitz bath.  My question is, if you use hot water, wouldn't you make the swelling worse?  It would feel good right away but it would make it more swollen?  Some posts here recommended ice packs / ice diapers.  I tried calling my surgeon and the secretary asked the surgeon for me and passed back a message- saying don't use ice but use sitz bath, but didn't specify temperature of the water.  The hospital instruction sheet says "warm" sitz bath.  I'm not sure which is right:  ice, warm sitz, or hot sitz?

please help / share your experience!

My doctor told me only one sitz bath a day and one after each bowel movement. He did not want me sitting in the tub all day. So I followed his instructions and when I got uncomfortable in between sitz baths, I used a soft gel ice pack. I made sure that there was clothing or light padding between the ice pack and my incisions. Direct cold on tissues can impedie healing. That worked very well for me but you also need to remember, that I never had the excrutiating pain that most people experience with this surgery. I hope this helps.

post op Day 5 - i'm still taking painkillers around the clock (diclofenac, acetaminophen, Tramadol, sprinkle in some ibuprofen and some Flexeril).  The "baseline" after-meds pain is about 3 to 4 out of 10 now, goes to 6-7 out of 10 if i'm late to a dose of any of the above.  Pain goes from baseline to 7-8 out of 10 immediately following a BM .... the HOT sitz bath brings it down to about 5 for a couple of hours.  

My doc says Sitz bath for 15 minutes at least 3 to 4 times a day, but i can't handle the pressure sensation sitting on the sitz bath that long though - i can only do 5 minutes max (my default posture is lying in bed on my side).

Hope it gets better and i won't have any more of those breath-stopping pain attacks i had in the first 2 to 3 days.

Have you tried lying in the tub? My doctor told me to skip the contraption and use the tub. He said to put 4 to 6 inches of water in the tub and to simply get in. I am wondering if the reason he told me to skip the portable sitz contraption was due to the pressure you are having.

i don't have a useable tub.... well, there's one in the house that we use to bathe the toddler and the baby, and i'm a bit hesitant to "gross it out" - i can't imagine having to scrub the tub myself after soiling it. I might just have to "bow to the pressure" though, this is unbearable :'-(

thanks to Danni3113's suggestion, i moved over to my son's room (and his bathroom) and finally had a bathtub soak.  Cuts the pain down to half.

i might have overdone the water temperature though, it was bleeding quite a bit (for the first time since i left the hospital) after a particularly hot sitz bath.

It's Day 7 today, and last night and this morning I've been feeling a sharp poking to the right part of my swollen wound.  I was convinced it's a dislodged stitch but my husband with his iphone flash light can't see anything.  The pain was so sharp it felt like a needle constantly poking tender flesh.  I was in hyeterics and my huaband made me take an Ativan.

The BM today was excruciating - even though i go everyday.  Yesterday was the first time i ate anything other than yogurt and cookied veggies, i had 3 bites of fish and some dried prines.  No dice, the pressure to go was there but it won't come out.  Scared me sh*tless no pun intended.  Took MoM and one hour later had a soft BM that put me into 9/10, "post op Day 2 - Day3" type of pain.  Sobbed on my bed for half an hour.  My sciatica is acting up too from lying too much lopsided in bed.  took me 2 hours to finally calm down.

I swear i won't be eating more solids for another week.  It was a mistake to think i was ready!  Back to clear fluid diet plus Benefibre.

Wow, you are sure having a rough time!! You should probably call your doctor and find out about that sharp pain. It could be a stitch since I never saw any of mine and I know that I was stitched closed for most of the incision. He left a tiny space open for drainage. Maybe your doctor didn't and part of your incision tore. It would be worth calling.

yeah, i thought about calling, but realized that (1), he's supposedly on holidays starting today (i was told when we checked his O.R. schedules) and (2), it's a teaching hospital so i probably end up talking to a junior resident who wasn't even there at my operation and won't have much to offer on the phone other than "come to Emerg" - and i don't want to (go to Emerg) and wait sitting in those hard plastic chairs of 6+ hours before any doc even sees me (then wait another 2 to 3 hours if they call the surgery resident down). Probably not productive
so yeah, liquid diet for me. I took another warm bath this afternoon as per your earlier advice and it seems to help a bit. I doubt i will be ready to go back to a 10-hour/day sitting job in 2 weeks....

You never know. Things might turn around faster than you expect and for your sake, I hope they do. Reading your posts, I really feel guilty that I had such an easy time of it.

let's hope so, thanks for your encouragement, i needed it :-)   everyone's somewhere on a spectrum.  On the positive side for me, i "only" suffered hemorrhoids since the birth of my first child who's turning 5 ... so 5 years of "unable to do anything that involve standing >90 minutes" - while many others on the forum have had crippling symtpoms for 10-20 years before they bite the bullet and get surgery!   i consider this fair price to pay.  it's all my kids' fault hahaha

It was my kid's fault too. Never had hemorrhoids until the end of my pregnancy 26 years ago although I am sure that my chronic constipation didn't help. Even though my hemorrhoids were bad, they were rarely painful. They only flared up a few times a year. The doctor told me during surgery that it was really needed since they were so huge. I wanted it done more due to a hygiene issue rather than the pain they caused me. I am glad I had it done but I still have some hygiene issues since there is a fair bit of extra tissue left. He couldn't remove it all at the same time so I have to go back and see him in six months to a year if I am still concerned.

i got myself one of those Japanese-style toilet seat bidets and that works wonderfully for cleaning purposes - i only use it for the "one time during the day", **not** as some people or manufacturer suggested - to wash "lady parts". I make it a habit to finish "my business" everyday at the same time in the morning before i get out of the house. The problem with that is, i won't get that "luxury" when i travel, not even in 5 star hotels LOL, too spoiled in that sense. I never have hygiene issues. If that's your only remaining concern, i'll highly recommend you to head to a local bath products showroom - search for one that carries "Toto" - many of them will have a live model. I literally can't live without it LOL. I think I will keep using it even if the surgery resolves my problems. Even now, very sore post op, i can still use the "lady part" function (gentler stream) to clean a bit before i dunk my bottom into the Sitz bath, just to minimize solid residues. No need to get my whole person or the whole floor around the toilet wet (as in using a showerhead)

Thanks for the heads up. I did not know those things existed.