I had severe diarrhea last year which resulted in me getting an anal fissure and 2nd degree internal/external hemorrhoids. I saw a surgeon regarding this, and he put me on daflon 500mg tablets.

The problem seemed to be taken care of and I got back to my happy normal painfree life for about 5 months before the fissure came back out of nowhere. I guess this was due to one or two bad BM I might have had. Anyway, the fissure is still there and now the hemorrhoids are back as well and they are more painful than ever. I have been in pain for over 2 months now. I have been put on steroid suppositories for 4 weeks by my surgeon and I have a follow up with him next week.

I have been keeping my stool soft for the past 2 months by eating a high fiber diet, drinking lots of water and taking stool softeners. My BM are not really painful anymore (they aren't normal painfree BM either). I jump straight into the hot tub after each BM for about 15 mins, after which I apply the steroid suppository.

My problem is, approximately 20 mins after each BM I start experiencing extreme pain and this lasts for about 5-6 hours. So pretty much my mornings and afternoons are really painful and I only experience relief in the evening. Is this normal? I don't know how much longer I can live like this.. I've been told by my doctor that my condition does not warranty a surgery but I am not sure how much longer I can live like this...

Please help.

The extreme pain that lasts for about 5-6 hours after BM is due to fissures. External hemorrhoids pain only when thrombosed for a couple of days and shrink in a week or so. Fissures are the ones that given pain after a BM. Try sitz bath after a BM. Try to keep the anus moist by applying any suppository before a BM. The fissure should heal in 3-5 days and the pain will go away. Best Luck.